looking for a complete swap LS1 with t56

cristarion

I'd start looking for a wrecked late 90's SS Camaro, they came with a 5.7 LS1 and manual trans. If you can get the whole car, you'll have everything else you'll need. That will be your cheapest option on a whole car but might not fit your budget. Other options are a wrecked GTO with an LS1 or LS2, but that's pricey.

Buying an all aluminum 5.7 or bigger motor and trans already out ain't usually cheap with the manual trans, but if you do some homework you can get an LS from a truck (Escalade, Silverado, Suburbans) like a 5.0 or 5.3 for pretty cheap on eBay or at the scrapyard, and just hunt for a T56 someplace else. The truck versions have iron blocks, better for boost but obviously heavier. Corvette LS motor cars did not use a regular T56, they use a rear mounted Getrag transaxle box, but if you can score a wrecked 97+ vette or just the motor that'd be another option.

5 grand may get you the parts, but if you want 400+ HP you aren't going to find that in a stock Gen III LS, which includes the truck motors and the LS1 and LS3, up to 385HP. Gen IV's like the LS2 make around 400 and up and come out of a 2005 or newer Vette or GTO with the LS2. If you can get your hand on any better Gen IV like the LS6... DO IT.

Edited by Fuze

Why waste your time getting and LS1 and modding it to 400hp?

Just get something that costs less and already has 400, like an LQ9 block

If I had a budget of $5k, I would grab an LQ9 and a T56

Edited by leesfer

I'd start looking for a wrecked late 90's SS Camaro, they came with a 5.7 LS1 and manual trans. If you can get the whole car, you'll have everything else you'll need. That will be your cheapest option on a whole car but might not fit your budget. Other options are a wrecked GTO with an LS1 or LS2, but that's pricey.

Buying an all aluminum 5.7 or bigger motor and trans already out ain't usually cheap with the manual trans, but if you do some homework you can get an LS from a truck (Escalade, Silverado, Suburbans) like a 5.0 or 5.3 for pretty cheap on eBay or at the scrapyard, and just hunt for a T56 someplace else. The truck versions have iron blocks, better for boost but obviously heavier. Corvette LS motor cars did not use a regular T56, they use a rear mounted Getrag transaxle box, but if you can score a wrecked 97+ vette or just the motor that'd be another option.

5 grand may get you the parts, but if you want 400+ HP you aren't going to find that in a stock Gen III LS, which includes the truck motors and the LS1 and LS3, up to 385HP. Gen IV's like the LS2 make around 400 and up and come out of a 2005 or newer Vette or GTO with the LS2. If you can get your hand on any better Gen IV like the LS6... DO IT.

Good info thanks Man!

so what's the car comes with the t56 tranny?

LQ9 and L33 ? ill do the research.

to be honest with you guys this will be my first proyect car, i dont have a lot skills as a mechanic but I've done stock swaps before i feel i can get this one done, its gonna be a challenge but fun at the same time. I also been reading alot about this cars learning every day it is definetly a fun car to work on, but the bad part about all of this is the regulations of California are tuff so whatever i decide to do with the car has to be legal.

thanks all for your help.

cristarion: You can make some power with the G54, either through extensive tuning with datalogger or by converting it to an MPI setup, also requiring extensive tuning, but it will never compare to the durability/drivability of an LS. 350 HP is near the bleeding edge of most G54s' ability, 350Hp is where you start with an LS and it makes that power effortlessly. I have a 99 Vette as well as my Starion, it's not really even worth debating motor vs motor. The other thing you also have to consider is all the supporting parts and wiring on that old G54, the weak transmissions, etc.

I'm no purist though, I just like cars I can actually drive.

I get 25 mpg highway with my LS1. Stock ls6 heads and intake and small cam and that's it. it's at 364hp to the wheels which is about 425hp or so at the crank. Can drive it on 90 degree days in stop and go traffic and can go to the track and run almost 12 flat. Could run 11s if I had an automatic. Remember...25mpg! Lol you won't be disappointed very easy power and I doubt the LS1 is any heavier than the g54b

$5000 is definitely doable. May just have to collect all the parts at different times or wait a while to find a deal on Craigslist. The 5.3 Truck motors are definitely a cheap option that also make good power. Just stay away from the ones around 2000-2001 they had piston slap issues

small block chevy's rule! All cars need them.

Some day the 2.6 will be needed for collectors value....We need to stop guys from scraping them!

If your a mechanic the little turbo engine IS....and ALWAYS will be cool. I reliably drove mine to college back in the good ol' days. It was faster than what most people drove back then!

I go to pick n' pull yards....Can snatch up a 5.3 for around $400 but you have to do the pickin and the pullin'

No chance in heel that you'll get it legally smogged in CA. No smog station will risk their license unless you're able to utilize all of the smog components(without modifications) from the engine of your choosing. You might need to take it to an official smog rep to have it barred but once again the chances are slim. Register it in another state that allows engine swaps and you'll be fine. Any friends or family that live in Nevada, Pennsylvania, ect?