Input Shaft Bearing Part Number and Removal

Anyone know the part number for an 88 5spd trans input shaft bearing. I need to order the part before I pull it apart so a part # number would save my a**. I checked the faqs and found nothing, except a way to get the bearing out. Any help is appreciated. I have an 87 trans I could get a part number off of but, I was told they weren't the same. this is the only thing i need to get my car back on the road, when this is done it gets a t3 turbo and the stainless mani off of ebay. Anyone tried these yet? I cant find anything on it in the ebay alert section????

See the below link for part numbers for the '88 Starquests'.

http://www.starquestgarage.com/partsloc/conquest/1988/88_conquest_partsloc_nav.html

I would suggest that you plan on replacing all the bearings in the trans rather than just the input shaft bearing. You may need them too.

But that's just me.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Edited by Starfighterpilot

You might want to plan on using the 87 tranny if it's working. Why? Because I'll bet you'll need more parts to fix that 88 tranny than you realize. Stuff the 87 into the car so you can drive it while re-doing the 88 fully. Just don't get on the boost hard, don't pop the clutch, etc. I.e. be nice to the 87 tranny. Especially in 1st and 2nd gears; they're the weakest links.

Getting the input bearing off a StarQuest tranny often requires gutting the whole transmission. On some model cars you can remove the input shaft & input bearing as one big piece... not so on a StarQuest. Those other cars have a "chunk" taken out of the tranny case that allows the input shaft & bearing to pass through when things are lined up "just so." Part of the line-up includes missing, or at least reduced sized, teeth on the input shaft gear. StarQuests don't have any of that.

To remove the input shaft & bearing, you'll see it basically entails starting at the OUTPUT end of the transmission and taking stuff apart, working your way forwards. A bearing press will probably be required to separate the parts... and depending on the manufacturing tolerances, you may need a really beefy bearing press. The factory service manual shows a special gear puller being used to separate these parts - with them still installed on the tranny - and then another special tool (looks like a pipe to me) being used to drive the new bearing into position. That bearing puller is basically a really long/tall one, with narrow ends on the puller arms that fit into the skinny groove of the bearing. If you have that, or something equivalent, then you won't have to dismantle the whole bloody tranny.

Some folks have been able to use 2 screwdrivers to "walk" the bearing off the input shaft, taking advantage of the slight in-and-out slop between the input shaft and the stuff behind it: they hook the screwdriver tips (or the arms of a bearing puller) into the groove on the input shaft bearing, then pound the clutch end of the input shaft inwards a millimeter or two into that slop. This moves the input bearing about 1 millimeter looser. Next, pull the input shaft & bearing forwards, put something underneath the screwdrivers to take up that millimeter, and pound the shaft in again. Walk the bearing off millimeter by millimeter. Just don't crack the tranny case.

To disassemble the whole transmission, you'll have to remove a few very short bolts... I'll bet the heads strip out and you end up drilling them out. The factory used blue Loctite on them... dealer replacement bolts come with Loctite pre-applied. Gaskets will have to be replaced of course... and any worn bearings should be replaced too. That's why I suggest installing the 87 tranny so you can see what your 88 tranny needs, order the parts, and do the whole job. Transstar used to sell a kit of bearings & gaskets for the StarQuest tranny; I used one on an 87. I still needed a few dealer trips though to get those bolts and some other misc items. Of course, the bearings are "normal" industrial standard bearings - you can read the numbers stamped into them and buy them at your favorite bearing supplier. MUCH cheaper than dealers or car parts stores. The gaskets will be the tougher thing to find; you may have to buy raw gasket paper and make your own. You'll also need a few of those split-tube style index/shear pins (like the one that holds the camshaft sprocket to the camshaft).

mike c.

:mellow: mike c you destroyer of dreams, did you kick a puppy after u typed that. I guess ill be taking the 88 to a trans shop for a reseal and bearing kit. No idea what that'll cost but, i miss my car. I have an 86 trans as a spare but it suffers from the same problem except much worse. the 88 just began to make noise. Anyone know about how much it cost for a basic rebuild on these trans.

I pulled one apart to replace the bearings and it's a nightmare. There's a special crimped nut at the end of one of the shafts that needs to be replaced. Don't know if you can still get it. Tim (Ulrichwolf) can get the bearings if you still want to rebuild it (good luck). Edited by marso

Im prolly just gonna run it till it pops. $1300.00 for a new reman with a 3 year warranty. Ill call up some shops monday and see what they have to offer as far as rebuilds go before i decide. Unless someone knows a guy who can do it. transmissions are one thing i really dont want to mess with. If anyone who has done this before is willing to maybe do it for me, for a price of course. I know its a longshot but just throwing that out there. any more info would be appreciated.

Put the 87 in it until you figure out what you're going to do. That way you can drive it. It will work fine just take the advise from the post above. It doesn't take long to swap a trans I did it in about six hours in the driveway on jack stands using my chest to lay it on and slide under the car then lifting it with my knees and arms into place. Gotta make sure the the clutch is lined up well or you're in for a struggle.

Swapping the tranny isnt what scares me. I wouldnt even begin to know how to take this tranny apart to replace bearings and seals. I dont remember seeing a thread on it in the faqs either. I saw the thread on replacing the input shaft bearing and felt pretty confident but as far as breaking into the trans i just imagine me removing a couple bolts and then a bunch of springs and gears fly everywhere. I really dont want to swap one trans just so i can do it again in a few months. I have other transport so i dont need to drive it, though it would be nice considering i got some new parts waiting to mount. Also i was unable to make any sense out the manual given to me in an earlier post. :wacko: could someone just give me the part number? B) That way when my part comes in they dont hand me a gear or a spring, then i have to start over again.

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o364/DerrickandNichole/CIMG0078-1.jpg

These will help fix that tranny.

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o364/DerrickandNichole/CIMG0077.jpg

when i took the car to my mechanic buddy and asked him how to fix a loud trans he replied, "turn up the radio."

The factory manual shows how to disassemble it. The part numbers are on the parts locator manual on this site. It's a PDF file of the factory parts manual. Give me your email and I'll send the tranny part to you. It's too big to post here.

The factory manual shows how to disassemble it. The part numbers are on the parts locator manual on this site. It's a PDF file of the factory parts manual. Give me your email and I'll send the tranny part to you. It's too big to post here.

sweeet thanks for the help. email sent.

• 2 years later...

You might want to plan on using the 87 tranny if it's working. Why? Because I'll bet you'll need more parts to fix that 88 tranny than you realize. Stuff the 87 into the car so you can drive it while re-doing the 88 fully. Just don't get on the boost hard, don't pop the clutch, etc. I.e. be nice to the 87 tranny. Especially in 1st and 2nd gears; they're the weakest links.

Getting the input bearing off a StarQuest tranny often requires gutting the whole transmission. On some model cars you can remove the input shaft & input bearing as one big piece... not so on a StarQuest. Those other cars have a "chunk" taken out of the tranny case that allows the input shaft & bearing to pass through when things are lined up "just so." Part of the line-up includes missing, or at least reduced sized, teeth on the input shaft gear. StarQuests don't have any of that.

To remove the input shaft & bearing, you'll see it basically entails starting at the OUTPUT end of the transmission and taking stuff apart, working your way forwards. A bearing press will probably be required to separate the parts... and depending on the manufacturing tolerances, you may need a really beefy bearing press. The factory service manual shows a special gear puller being used to separate these parts - with them still installed on the tranny - and then another special tool (looks like a pipe to me) being used to drive the new bearing into position. That bearing puller is basically a really long/tall one, with narrow ends on the puller arms that fit into the skinny groove of the bearing. If you have that, or something equivalent, then you won't have to dismantle the whole bloody tranny.

Some folks have been able to use 2 screwdrivers to "walk" the bearing off the input shaft, taking advantage of the slight in-and-out slop between the input shaft and the stuff behind it: they hook the screwdriver tips (or the arms of a bearing puller) into the groove on the input shaft bearing, then pound the clutch end of the input shaft inwards a millimeter or two into that slop. This moves the input bearing about 1 millimeter looser. Next, pull the input shaft & bearing forwards, put something underneath the screwdrivers to take up that millimeter, and pound the shaft in again. Walk the bearing off millimeter by millimeter. Just don't crack the tranny case.

To disassemble the whole transmission, you'll have to remove a few very short bolts... I'll bet the heads strip out and you end up drilling them out. The factory used blue Loctite on them... dealer replacement bolts come with Loctite pre-applied. Gaskets will have to be replaced of course... and any worn bearings should be replaced too. That's why I suggest installing the 87 tranny so you can see what your 88 tranny needs, order the parts, and do the whole job. Transstar used to sell a kit of bearings & gaskets for the StarQuest tranny; I used one on an 87. I still needed a few dealer trips though to get those bolts and some other misc items. Of course, the bearings are "normal" industrial standard bearings - you can read the numbers stamped into them and buy them at your favorite bearing supplier. MUCH cheaper than dealers or car parts stores. The gaskets will be the tougher thing to find; you may have to buy raw gasket paper and make your own. You'll also need a few of those split-tube style index/shear pins (like the one that holds the camshaft sprocket to the camshaft).

mike c.

that was the one i was looking for ,,thank you,,, it'd be a good item to place in the FAQ don't you think