Bill Hincher

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Interests:Busty big Gurls and small cars
  • Model:Other

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:22 PM

I went out and bought a core engine, a flywheel and a starter to build the crank adaptor you need, I will be using these parts plus my adaptor and then a 'star' flex plate like chryler uses to complete the kit

Posted Image
  I used aluminum just to mock up what I was looking for, working out depth for my bolt patterns and flex plate hieght
Posted Image
  The real coupler will be a billet design 4320 probably heat treated to a 45 brunnel number
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
It will be  stacked like a unit that uses the ring gear on the torque convertor, I originaly wanted to use a OEM Chevy flx plate so anybody could buy it anywhere, but the bolt circle wont work out between the 8 bolt crank and the 6 bolt flex plate, so it wasnt worth the effort
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Komeuppance

Komeuppance

Amused.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,589 posts
  • Interests:Starions, and Starion accessories
  • Model:Starion

Posted 30 May 2010 - 03:54 AM

No shhhh, 2jz engine.  With 15 grand under the hood, this car will decimate all.  Over night parts from Bill Hincher if we have to.

Nice!!

-Robert

Posted Image

#3 Bill Hincher

Bill Hincher

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:54 PM

here is a perfectly good 2 jz taking 'one' for the team, I cut the bellhousing end off to pick up the numbers I needed, this is a beautiful engine, well built

Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image

The problem was the starter, I have seen some real wild designs on the flexplates for the 2jz, some guys building $650. dollar flexplates and some guys hanging  a chevy starter under the side of the adapter plate , but in reality the problem was not the flexplate, the problem was in the starter, it needed to be located in the exact same spot as original and the gear needed to be extended into the mounting plate so a coupler could be built for the crankshaft to extend out the flex plate
   so I built a shaft for the starter that extended the pinion gear out on the original starter and then placed a bearing into the chevy/toyota adapter plate for location, I needed a 1/2 inch plate to feel secure in mounting the trans to the engine, after tah I adjusted the higth of the flexplate to the starter pinion, next I will adjust the distance of the trans/engine relationship
Posted Image     Posted Image  Posted Image
  I took an old adapter plate from some earlier work and cut it up to fit the 2jz, then I mounted the bearing for the starter pinion and put the original flex plate back in place, then I mounted a 10 converter on the original flex plate and completed the swap
Posted Image

#4 The Rabbit1

The Rabbit1

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,942 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:29 PM

I could've sworn they already had a gm trans adapter for the 2jz.. or were those all custom builds?
Replaced: vac advance, Delphi injectors, all vac lines, tees and check valves, all brake hoses and pads, Master cylinder, flex plate, torque convertor, T-stat(180), CTS, TPS, both fan switches to primary, rear speakers, door speakers
Overhauled: Distributor, TB, wiper system, electrical ground connections, dash switches, auto seat belt tracks, entire auto trans, entire fuel system, A/C system
Upgraded: 1st gen Mas, HKS bov, Walbro 255lph pump, S16G Turbo and increased boost to 15psi, Aeromotive rrfpr 13105, MSD 8910 Tach adapter, Comp Cams Fireball digital ignition system, 35 watt HID headlights (6000k) 1000w 4ch amp, 100A alternator, engine to chassis to battery ground (4ga), charging wire from Alt to Batt (6ga), 2.5" Catalytic converter, Magnaflow muffler, R134 A/C, Yellow top optima battery
Added: AEM wideband, rail mounted fuel pressure gauge, dual alternator fusible links
Eliminated: Cruise, ABS, Emissions, Vac pump

#5 Bill Hincher

Bill Hincher

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:33 AM

The Rabbit1, on 09 April 2011 - 10:29 PM, said:

I could've sworn they already had a gm trans adapter for the 2jz.. or were those all custom builds?

there is a flexplate for sale on E bay at $650.00 minus the adapter plate, run out and buy you  :rolleyes: one
Posted Image

#6 BOHO

BOHO

Sucks at life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,102 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:39 AM

Man bill...You make some very cool stuff. I love how part of your goal for every project is make it more affordable and simpler than the other guys...
87 Starion 2jz

Posted Image

#7 The Rabbit1

The Rabbit1

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:18 PM

Bill Hincher, on 10 April 2011 - 09:33 AM, said:

there is a flexplate for sale on E bay at $650.00 minus the adapter plate, run out and buy you  :rolleyes: one
gotcha, around how much do you think you can keep this setup around pricewise?
Replaced: vac advance, Delphi injectors, all vac lines, tees and check valves, all brake hoses and pads, Master cylinder, flex plate, torque convertor, T-stat(180), CTS, TPS, both fan switches to primary, rear speakers, door speakers
Overhauled: Distributor, TB, wiper system, electrical ground connections, dash switches, auto seat belt tracks, entire auto trans, entire fuel system, A/C system
Upgraded: 1st gen Mas, HKS bov, Walbro 255lph pump, S16G Turbo and increased boost to 15psi, Aeromotive rrfpr 13105, MSD 8910 Tach adapter, Comp Cams Fireball digital ignition system, 35 watt HID headlights (6000k) 1000w 4ch amp, 100A alternator, engine to chassis to battery ground (4ga), charging wire from Alt to Batt (6ga), 2.5" Catalytic converter, Magnaflow muffler, R134 A/C, Yellow top optima battery
Added: AEM wideband, rail mounted fuel pressure gauge, dual alternator fusible links
Eliminated: Cruise, ABS, Emissions, Vac pump

#8 Bill Hincher

Bill Hincher

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 02:10 PM

The Rabbit1, on 10 April 2011 - 12:18 PM, said:

gotcha, around how much do you think you can keep this setup around pricewise?

It comes down to the flexplate,I can use the standard flexplate but most guys want an SFI rated flex plate and oddly enough, I havent found a source for a standard 2JZ SFI flexplate, so I got a couple of calls out to find a builder

ATI says they will have one but they keep pushing the delivery date back

so any way, all that is required is  a steel spacer at the crank, a starter extention, and an aluminum adapter plate, shouldnt be very expensive at all

figure $350.00?
Posted Image

#9 Bill Hincher

Bill Hincher

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:06 PM

Posted Image  Posted Image  
  Posted Image        Posted Image  

Posted Image  Posted Image

Posted Image    
Posted Image

Edited by Bill Hincher, 11 April 2011 - 11:11 PM.

Posted Image

#10 button

button

Rest dummy with dial indicator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:26 AM

just food for thought.
you should thread the adapter plate side and use studs to hold the starter on so people aren't cussing your name if they just need to change the starter.
that's how mine is on the th350/4g63 adapter.
-Jay

#11 Bill Hincher

Bill Hincher

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:36 AM

button, on 12 April 2011 - 08:26 AM, said:

just food for thought.
you should thread the adapter plate side and use studs to hold the starter on so people aren't cussing your name if they just need to change the starter.
that's how mine is on the th350/4g63 adapter.

kweel idea button, thank you
Posted Image

#12 nasteboyii

nasteboyii

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:23 PM

Bill Hincher, on 12 April 2011 - 11:36 AM, said:

kweel idea button, thank you

very nice indeed bill, glad to see you finally got around to it.. i built somewhat same thing, but my snout adapter is much smaller,  pm i may want to buy your stuff, minus the adapter plate (if possible) i already have the ross adapter plate, who sold out of those very nice flywheel pieces :( .. i finally got the engine running, and now time to move on the the trans stuff... (testing)

Thanks again for everything
Dan
FS pics here  www.flickr.com/backmotorsports

located in delaware, see ya at the races
any question feel free to hit me up
nasteboyii19943@Yahoo.com
Dan

#13 Lance_S

Lance_S

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Family, Church, Guns, Cars, Audio/Video

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:36 AM

Bill,

How many speeds can you have in an automatic with this conversion?  Interested in a 5 or 6 speed automatic that can handle 500 to 600 hp from a 2jz.

Thanks,

lance
Hardpipes, MAFT, GM MAS, 3" DP, 2.5" exhaust, 950/1050 Trilogy injectors, K&N filter, Machined and balance flywheel 23 lbs, short shift, 88/89 tranny, HD ACT clutch, DSM EVO3 S16g ported (21 psi), polished and clipped, NJV head (ported), larger SS Valves, Schneider springs, Ajusa HG, Adjustable FPR, MBC, BOV, MSD coil, Walbro 255, ABS, EGR and balance shaft elim, 88/89 ECU, UEGO 02, new or rebuilt everything.

My feedback:  http://www.starquest...howtopic=127993

#14 Bill Hincher

Bill Hincher

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:54 AM

Lance_S, on 25 February 2012 - 01:36 AM, said:

Bill,

How many speeds can you have in an automatic with this conversion?  Interested in a 5 or 6 speed automatic that can handle 500 to 600 hp from a 2jz.

Thanks,

lance

you would have to have the 6 speed transmission of choice picked out Lance, to my knowledge  your not going to be able to stack transmissions behind each other creating a 6 speed
Posted Image

#15 Lance_S

Lance_S

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Family, Church, Guns, Cars, Audio/Video

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:32 AM

Bill,

I didn't mean stacking them, I just am looking for a 5 or 6 speed auto that I could potentially set up with a paddle system.  I didn't know if there were any mass produced solonoid shifted transmissions that would bolt up to your new bellhousing.  The 2jz comes with a four speed, and that might be ok, but if I did the swap down the road, my dream tranny would be a 6 speed.  Toyota has come out with a new 8 speed which would be perfect but they are obviously too expensive.

Thanks,

Lance
Hardpipes, MAFT, GM MAS, 3" DP, 2.5" exhaust, 950/1050 Trilogy injectors, K&N filter, Machined and balance flywheel 23 lbs, short shift, 88/89 tranny, HD ACT clutch, DSM EVO3 S16g ported (21 psi), polished and clipped, NJV head (ported), larger SS Valves, Schneider springs, Ajusa HG, Adjustable FPR, MBC, BOV, MSD coil, Walbro 255, ABS, EGR and balance shaft elim, 88/89 ECU, UEGO 02, new or rebuilt everything.

My feedback:  http://www.starquest...howtopic=127993

#16 BOHO

BOHO

Sucks at life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,102 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 11:41 PM

Any updates Bill :ph34r:
87 Starion 2jz

Posted Image

#17 IntercooledFlatty

IntercooledFlatty

Get Sum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:52 PM

:)
Posted Image Posted Image

FLATNESS RULEZ

#18 IntercooledFlatty

IntercooledFlatty

Get Sum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:05 AM

a built 700r4 would be nice as well behind a 2JZ

FLATNESS RULEZ

#19 jinx

jinx

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts
  • Interests:I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Posted 10 March 2017 - 02:40 PM

iirc 700 saps more power than a th350. What's wrong with a jz auto tranny for street use ? Pretty solid with "mild upgrades"

what on earth would 6 or more speeds get u ? 9sec street 4cyls trap 3rd gear low 13Xs mph (dsm stock 4spd auto tranny)

#20 IntercooledFlatty

IntercooledFlatty

Get Sum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:04 PM

3 speeds with an OD is plenty..... but will the jz auto take daily abuse from roughly 550hp ?

FLATNESS RULEZ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users