HVAC Blend Door Seals

I'm currently going through my new 87 looking at every single part of the car. I've torn out the entire interior and I took the time to replace the 1.5" ehater hose under the dash that usually starts leaking.

Like most other SQs...some of the blend doors for the ducts and boxes have the old disintegrating foam seals. I've been searching for some replacement foam to glue/adhese to the doors and I can't find any good sources. most places want like $20 for a small 6"x12" sheet. most of these doors have ~7mm thick sheets.

Any help or sources would be appreciated.

- Charles

I see wal mart and home depot have a huge assortment of the stick on stuff. I bet that word work. Also you could use latex memory foam from the r/c car hobby store. Its used to isolate the r/c receiver from the chasis and vibration and its pretty tuff

what did you search for? mind posting a link or two? everything I searched for came up with hobby stores and Alibaba links (China trade). the only eBay links were to either double sided versions or ones way to thin or way to thick. Thanks!

- Charles

I'm currently going through my new 87 looking at every single part of the car. I've torn out the entire interior and I took the time to replace the 1.5" ehater hose under the dash that usually starts leaking.

Like most other SQs...some of the blend doors for the ducts and boxes have the old disintegrating foam seals. I've been searching for some replacement foam to glue/adhese to the doors and I can't find any good sources. most places want like $20 for a small 6"x12" sheet. most of these doors have ~7mm thick sheets.

Any help or sources would be appreciated.

- Charles

Check the heat and a/c section and check out Kev's post on that he rebuilt the heater box and changed

that hose in question.

If my in-head metric to standard conversion is right, that's just a little thicker than 1/4". I got a big sheet of 1/4" neoprene rubber gasket that I use for SQ tail light gaskets. It has adhesive on one side and works really good for all kinds of seals.

I got a bunch because I wanted to do my cars and was going to seel some replacement gaskets too, but then Natallica started selling non adhesive ones, so I didn't bother. If you need a piece, I'm sure we can work out some sort of deal.

Edited by Burton

I actually finally found Kev's heater box and AC box restore and found some on McMaster Karr. A whoppin $16 after shipping for a 12"x56"x1/4". If I need more than that or I need some in the future I'll definitely give you a PM.

On a side note Burton...I've been looking around at different paints and colors and the Sherwin Williams Car paint is my best option. If you've used it, what's your take on it in terms of how long and well it lasts as well as the ease of application?

- Charles

I actually finally found Kev's heater box and AC box restore and found some on McMaster Karr. A whoppin $16 after shipping for a 12"x56"x1/4". If I need more than that or I need some in the future I'll definitely give you a PM.

On a side note Burton...I've been looking around at different paints and colors and the Sherwin Williams Car paint is my best option. If you've used it, what's your take on it in terms of how long and well it lasts as well as the ease of application?

- Charles

Glad you looked at the thread hope it helps you.

- Charles

I've used that stuff a few times and had really good luck. It's pretty easy to use, turns out nice and seems to last a long time. I painted a 71 GTO with it back in 06, and from what I hear, it's still looking good.

Awesome. Because I'm looking at doing Bordeaux Metallic Red (R48/PR7) because it's still a factory color and for something like that I certainly don't want the cheap stuff. Plus, I know a guy who's a manager at a SW Auto Paint store and priced me $173 for three quarts of base, two of clear, enough reducer for everything, and think like two quarts of primer.

Also, thanks randy for the help. Don't know how I overlooked it. :)

- Charles

Edited by nightwalkerancestery

Those are pretty good prices. You might want to consider more clear tho... You'll want 2-3 coats at least, and 3 coats uses about 3 quarts for me. Most times I just get a gallon and use it all which is 4 coats on a SQ. I spray heavy coats tho.

Awesome. Because I'm looking at doing Bordeaux Metallic Red (R48/PR7) because it's still a factory color and for something like that I certainly don't want the cheap stuff. Plus, I know a guy who's a manager at a SW Auto Paint store and priced me $173 for three quarts of base, two of clear, enough reducer for everything, and think like two quarts of primer.

Also, thanks randy for the help. Don't know how I overlooked it. :)

- Charles

Your quite welcome all's good.