Just replaced my clutch.

87quest_stv

So I just replaced the clutch in my car, I think it was the original one. Anyhow the pilot bearing was toast, As I pulled the pressure plate and old clutch off, pieces of the pilot bearing fell to the ground. This would explain the vibration I got when I drove it on the highway the other day. I hadn't driven the car for 8 yrs. Got the new clutch installed. Cleaned the flywheel, installed a new pilot bearing, re torqued all the bolts, and mated the tranny back up to the engine. Got everything reinstalled and took it for a drive. No vibration on the freeway anymore. Ran nice and smooth. I'm gonna replace the slave cylinder though tomorrow. The old one's protective boot was crumbling away and it was rusty.

On a side note. I picked up a tranny jack from harbor freight for 79.99 plus I had a 20% off coupon so it came out to $63.XX, best $63 bucks i spent. Allowed me to raise and lower the tranny nice and easy. and made it even nicer to work on it since I was alone. I highly recommend picking 1 up.

Good to hear! I've used my low profile jack as well as my old cheapo red Autozone jack for my tranny pulls/installs. It requires some finess and balancing, but allows me to raise and lower the front and rear to get it to line up just right.

Does the tranny jack allow for tilting front to back? I'm thinking my 2 jack way might not be so do-able with the extra 40 pounds of the T56 trans so a trip to Harbor Frieght may be in order....or...

...any chance you'll be on the West Coast in a month? ;)