Starion from Sweden with BMW engine.

Galant turbo

I am working in an engine laboratory mostly with exhaust emission system but also with turbo conversions of just about everything you can imagine.

Probably it is useless to provide a link to a long link on my car on Mitsubishiclubsweden, Where I am one of the moderators buy the way. I´ll do it anyway, but Ianguage might be a bit confusing for you guys.

great pics!!!

lots of room on the sides of the motor for exhaust.

http://www.mitsubish...=2827&start=375

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h42/Galant_turbo/Mitsubishi_Starion/White%20Starion/M70/Prepp2_zps78efea91.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h42/Galant_turbo/Mitsubishi_Starion/White%20Starion/M70/Starion_v12_2_zps86326101.jpg

please do keep this updated. another option you could do is something i have mulled over. a saab b234r motor into a starion. there is a bmw e30 m3 out there with the b234r motor in it.

Thank you for showing interest! The Saab b234r is a great engine! But compared to a v12? :)

The engine on my pictures here are on the M70b50 5 liter V12, from the BMW 750 and 850. I have project car a BMW 750 wit a twin turbo conversion on it.

Biggest challenge there was the lack of space, strange enough there is a lot more space in the little Starion! :o

But I am also considering a BMW v8 or an straight 6, the m50/m52 is very popular in high power engine builds here in Sweden.

whats the stock BMW 850 V12 horse power or BHP rated at ?

I know it's lower than I expected. Somewhere only in the middle 300's. I was really wanting an 850CSI (closest thing made to an M8, but was disappointed in the HP and bad reviews (maintenance hog)of its V12

The 850 and 750 with m70 was rated 300Hp, not a reliable engine in any way. But mostly due to electronics people are afraid of them.

Lovely engines when they run though, and the sound with turbo on them! :D Epic!

The 850 Csi has a different V12, S70. 5,6 litres and 380Hp. Same unreliable electronics though.

There was also the 850 Ci which had the M73, 5,4 litres and 326Hp, that engine was also used in 750 with the e38 body. (M70 was in the e32) Much more reliability in this engine.

Perhaps there are differences in US/Euro versions, sometimes there are.

Edited by Galant turbo

The engine is reliable? Just the electronics are the problem?

Would a megasquirt ECU help with reliability

I think you will need two Megasquirt, -unless they have developed a system that can handle 12 cylinders. A guy here in Sweden runs an BMW 850 with twin turbos an dual Megasquirts. :) There are many more sophisticated systems that could run the engine, but they are of course expensive.

I would say that the electronics is the big issue, I however think there were some mechanical problems in the USA, the sulphur levels in the fuel you had back then was not healthy for the cylinders. The block is aluminium, and has no steel cylinder sleeves, so there were some corrosion issues. But interesting construction, no steal lining, instead an Alusil surface treatment. The pistons were aluminium but coated with steal! :blink: Most other, if not all other BMW engines without steal sleeves had the Nicasil surface treatment, I think that worked better with the sulphur content in the fuel.

10 years ago when I started a twin turbo conversion on a 750, I really read everything I could find about these engines. But one thing that was obvious then was that there were a lot of myths and misunderstandings about the M70-engine. You could never rely on anything from forums etc.

The engine management is two separate systems for the left and right cylinder banks, than an other system to synchronize the systems and drive the electronic throttles. :blink: I remember in the commercials back from the late eighties, "The new BMW 750 engine has double of everything, -it will never fail!" -could go 200km/h with only one cylinder bank running. I would call it an epic fail, twice the amount of sensors, more than twice the control systems that failed.

Funny thing is that when sensors started failing it quite often went in to limp mode and running only on one cylinder bank, -but did it go 200km/h -NO, because the limp system only allowed the throttles to open just so much that the car moved. :mad:

Most 750 in Sweden are already scrapped out due to electronic gremlins and/or rust. There was absolutely not bad rust protection on them, but all the small and big problems made them very cheap to buy so people bought the and drove them without taking care about them. We have roads "treated" with salt during the winters also, that is really horrible!

After market engine management is the only way to go, at least with turbo or compressor. Otherwise almost all BMW-engines from the 80-90is are great donor engines. The engine wire loom is very easy to separate from the cars wire loom. Anti theft system can often be transferred from the donor vehicle or be taken care of with simple steps.

But I would not recommend any one to go the V12-road, -it is a fantastic/terrible engine but in the same way it gives you grey hair and will most lightly put you in the nut house...

• 1 month later...