225mm flywheel redrill to 240mm resurface and lightening

83stariontravis

Gauging interest on flywheel machining would shoot for 10 flywheels but 20 would be nice. I have a couple sitting here but would need all the cores here aside from my two spares before I run them. One of my spares I will run for an example picture.

For my 83 I re-drilled my stock flywheel with the 225mm pattern to accept the 240mm pressure plate and am very happy with how the clutch feels now.

I also took the mass off of the back down some lowering the weight of the flywheel from about 35 to 28ish lbs. I am sure I can take off more material than that and will give an estimate after I run another for pictures.

Even though it wasn't much weight I did notice that the engine revs a little quicker and more free than before. I did not re-balance and have talked to a few machine shops about lightening flywheels and they seem to agree that if the same amount of material is taken off all the way around that it is not an issue. This would be the case how I did mine and how these would be done as they are not an extreme reduction in weight and is for street driven cars as that is what most SQ owners seem to use their cars for.

Another thing to point out is that weight of the flywheel alone is not what affects how the engine responds. Inertia is what maters so removing the big mass from the back of the flywheel even though it is only 6-7lbs makes a bigger difference to the flywheels inertia.

Will post a estimation price soon but for sure will be sub 250 probably quite a bit less for what most people will want.

Just to be clear all work will be done by a CNC mill not drilling by hand or anything lol.

Edited by 83stariontravis

• 3 weeks later...