NikoFab Wilwood Big Brake Kit: Cancelled Not Enough Interest

NikoFab

Ok gang,

Due to D2 not regarding us as a large enough group to warrant R&D into making a BBK specifically for our cars, I have literally been hammering the phones and email to search for another option...burned up my battery charge twice in 24 hours. But it's all good my friends.

I have been in serious talks with Wilwood Brakes (the actual company...not the ebay companies that modify Wilwood parts). They initially sent me a standard reply email which basically said no....however after crawling up their you know whats and probably getting on their nerves a bit...I just received an email back from their corporate director of sales stating that they will pull out their tooling for us to make the BBK kit for our cars.

He is quoting me a minimum order of 20 sets, but I think if we can put together 10-15 that they won't turn away money waiting to be spent. I don't have a firm price as of yet...hopefully will in a few days after further talks.

Here's the kicker guys. To my knowledge this has never happened before. No company of this size has ever pulled their tooling back out to take care of a community as small as ours. As such, it's IMPERATIVE that if you sign up for this group buy...YOU MUST FOLLOW through. I cannot stress this enough. Please please please don't say you're interested if you're not able to do so. It's fine if you want to wait for the price point, I totally get that.

Anyway, here's to making big things happen in a small world.

Cheers,

Nick

NikoFab

Phone: 281.627.6683

Email and PayPal: nikofabsales@gmail.com

Edited by NikoFab

I would definitely be interested depending on price. The 4 wheel Wilwood BBK I recently got for the Miata ran about $1,700.00 but I believe you can get a front set for around a grand. Looking forward to what you come up with.

anyone whos had an interest in upgrading to bbk, probably has a basic idea of what a tipical set costs. i would bet its not gonna be half price of other cars. the biggest question is, to have a set made to really work with our set up and straight forward installation and a descent backing by the manufacturer.

if the company is willing to work with us, what better opportunity for our community to experiment and improve our cars performance!

• Like 1

I don't understand why we're even talking about a big brake kit from a manufacturer. Someone could make a mint if they design a bracket to use Mustang rotors and calipers. Basically just a piece of thick steel to locate the caliper bracket using the stock mounting holes. It's been done by a few members here. I'd be interested in something like that. A set of caliper bracket mounts for under $100 to use front mustang rotors and calipers. In regards to the rear, I'm sure something similar can be thought up, but it would have to be compatible with the stock e-brake. Even if it means just a dual piston caliper upgrade, that would be worth it.

anyone whos had an interest in upgrading to bbk, probably has a basic idea of what a tipical set costs. i would bet its not gonna be half price of other cars. the biggest question is, to have a set made to really work with our set up and straight forward installation and a descent backing by the manufacturer.

if the company is willing to work with us, what better opportunity for our community to experiment and improve our cars performance!

They're willing to work...it just comes down to us!

I don't understand why we're even talking about a big brake kit from a manufacturer. Someone could make a mint if they design a bracket to use Mustang rotors and calipers. Basically just a piece of thick steel to locate the caliper bracket using the stock mounting holes. It's been done by a few members here. I'd be interested in something like that. A set of caliper bracket mounts for under $100 to use front mustang rotors and calipers. In regards to the rear, I'm sure something similar can be thought up, but it would have to be compatible with the stock e-brake. Even if it means just a dual piston caliper upgrade, that would be worth it.

Well you guys let me know. I'm all about whatever there's a demand for.

In doing some searches, there was some success in using 3kgt front calipers using just a caliper bracket and new brake lines. I think our rotors are big enough. We just need better clamping force. See the thread here. It looks like this was on a 4 lug car, but I'm sure similar logic would work on a 5 lug. This would be the most cost effective method to source the brake lines and make the caliper brackets. 3kgt calipers or even EVO calipers would be a great upgrade. Someone just needs to get a set and take some measurements.

http://www.starquest...conversion&st=0

Edited by CaliConquestAlex

In doing some searches, there was some success in using 3kgt front calipers using just a caliper bracket and new brake lines. I think our rotors are big enough. We just need better clamping force. See the thread here. It looks like this was on a 4 lug car, but I'm sure similar logic would work on a 5 lug. This would be the most cost effective method to source the brake lines and make the caliper brackets. 3kgt calipers or even EVO calipers would be a great upgrade. Someone just needs to get a set and take some measurements.

http://www.starquest...conversion&st=0

Great thread....but hasn't been posted to in some time. Do you know the current status of this project?

I almost bought a starquest up northern Cali with a BBK. The guy said he was one of the first ones to have it and he used it in competitions. His name was Oscar but I forgot his forum name. He said he stopped logging on a while back. But seeing this kinda makes me want one especially from how good he said it was on his quest.

I'm interested but depends on cost. I agree that a DIY bracket kit would be easy and cheap, and 3000GT, 300Z, RX-7 and Mustang brakes are cheap options. One thing I remember from the Oscar kit was peple talking about the need for a bigger Master Cylinder if the calipers were a lot bigger... dunno about that though.

That's why I think going to something like a wilwood or brembo caliper would be too much for the stock master cylinder. Getting something from a newer generation mitsubishi or nissan would be the best option IMO. It would be great if there was a mitsubishi caliper that has the same brake line fitting with a 2 or 4 piston setup that we could adapt with a simple bracket.

I'm all for coming up with a bracket to use a readily available 4-piston caliper. Even if it's only for the fronts. That would be a LOT less expensive in the long run and you would sell a lot more of them. I don't see swapping the master cylinder as a big deal if it needs to be done then do it. I'm sure someone has already done the hard part and figured out what fits.

I'm not real familiar with the the EVO or 3kgt calipers but if someone could come a 3d model of them (or find one) then do the same for our setup it wouldn't be hard to design a caliper bracket to work. I know there are several members here that know solidworks well. Get on it guys :)

Then all we need is a connection to a good CNC guy.

Edit: Looks like the legwork has already been done by the aussies

http://www.austarion.com/tech/brakeconversion.pdf

Although that's for a 4-lug wheel ... <_<

Edited by psu_Crash

The 3kgt calipers are the same as z32 calipers, which already have a bracket designed for them. The cad dimensions are available at the Australian site.

This will probably be the quickest option.

As far as MC's, it hasn't been fully sorted out yet, but Matt was close. In Australia they use a Nissan Patrol MC, we could use it too but the fittings attach on the wrong side for LHD cars. New hardlines would not be too much work to make, but that is beyond the scope of a group buy kit I believe. Perhaps SS braided adapter lines... but that would look bulky and cumbersome.

Regardless, I'm glad to see someone's taken an interest in a brake upgrade kit... going fast involves more than just a straight line lol.

-Robert

I think a bracket for some OEM caliper would be the best at this point as well.

I think that makes more sense for a group purchase so that people can actually PURCHASE something instead of having to not be able to fund a $1500 brake set up all at once.