What's your standby current draw?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ucw458

ucw458

This will mean the extinction of all life forms on this planet.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,596 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 11 June 2019 - 04:09 PM

My standby current draw isn't very large but it still drags the battery down after a couple weeks.  I will say the battery needs to be replaced because even when charged it only cranks the engine for 5-10 seconds before dead.  But a high enough current draw can kill a good battery too.  When testing the two Etacs I have I got a 37mA draw from the 88 unit and a 33mA draw from the original 87 unit.  That doesn't seem like much to me but maybe it's high compared to other SQs.

So what's your standby current draw?

If you don't know how to test this it's simple.  With the car off and doors closed disconnect the negative battery cable.  Set your volt meter to amps then connect one lead to the negative battery cable and the other to the negative battery terminal.  Don't open the car doors or turn the key while this is set up though.  Power for the car will be going through the meter and most cheap meters can't read more than 2 amps before the internal fuse blows.
My 87
Posted Image

#2 ucw458

ucw458

This will mean the extinction of all life forms on this planet.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,596 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:24 PM

Correction,

I've got a 9mA draw with the Etacs unplugged.  So my two Etacs units are drawing 25mA and 22mA.  Unplugging the dash clock drops it to 6mA.  The radio probably draws some of that but I need to look at a drawing to see where the standby wire connects.  Pulling the radio fuse does nothing.  The door lock control box under the radio may also be drawing something.

Now here's the weird part.  With the door button pushed in so interior lights aren't on I start off with the 9mA draw.  If I pull the room fuse that drops to 2mA.  But putting that fuse back in makes it spike to 50mA then slowly settle back to 9mA.
My 87
Posted Image

#3 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:41 AM

30 mA.
http://www.starquest...c=135264&st=120