First Impressions: ACT MS1-XXG6 clutch.

I just got the car back together this morning after installing a good '89 transmission. I also installed this ACT six-puck sprung hub disc and pressure plate. Using the alignment tool, everything was lined up well, getting the trans attached was difficult, but I only had it go in smoothly once, and that was after fiddling with it for a while. Anyway, I had to weld a nut to the bushing on the pedal so I could get more adjustment and get the engagement point off the floor.

I was expecting lots of chatter along with my excessively heavy pedal. I just took out a good SPEC stage 3+ because it wouldn't hold the kind of power I wanted to make. That had a very light, stock feeling pedal, but it did chatter quite a bit. Maybe that had something to do with the sintered iron material on the disc. Other than that, it was decent clutch.

After multiple engagements, starting from dead-stops, shifting slowly, etc. I have experienced zero chatter. That was a pleasing surprise. As expected, the pedal is HEAVY. But I can accept it now that I have greater adjustment and zero chatter. I can modulate the clutch just fine for smooth shifts, or if I let off fast, there is no slip at all. If I don't blip the throttle for downshifts, the car will lurch as the clutch grabs.

I have about 10 or 15 miles on it now, the recommended break in period is 200-300 miles, at which point, I might turn up the boost a little. It's at 25 psi now and all is well. On the way home I raced a volvo and spanked it, haha.

I like the Spec3+... but you are definitely making more HP. Thanx for intel... will help w/ future shopping. BTW, was the cost better for the ACT setup?

list price is about $175 more for the ACT. The SPEC is around 500 bucks.

Yhea... that's somewhere around what I paid for the Spec, WOW... that's a high dollar clutch assembly. Good to know though, I have always respected the Spec line more so than Act; good intel! Keep me posted as to break-in, longevity?

kidjc: I started with an ACT as my first clutch upgrade and it greatly exceeded it's rated capacity, and is still fully functional, attached to the motor that was in D_Venable's flatty (now waiting for the next home). The SPEC held exactly what it was rated for, nothing more.

infamos: It's moving forward, and overall getting "better" depending on your view of performance! haha.

More news about the clutch: I have found that very low speed engagements, like slowing before a stop sign, then reengaging 1st will produce some chatter, but a little more RPM eliminates that.

• 1 month later...
I have just turned over 1000 miles on this clutch and it's just great, no slipping, strong engagement, I can shift as fast as the transmission will allow (so I can't grab gears like some evo or something but such is life), it holds up to whatever I can do. I like it. Maybe I'll get to find out if it'll hold 500 whp someday here soon! ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Great to hear. GL with stepping it up even further.

My ACT never got any lighter on the pedal, and chattered a little, but only at very low rpm releases which I attribute to the lighter Fidanza. It still wasn't as chattery as my stock Saturn.

I loved the ACT but am looking forward to a lighter pedal with the LT1 clutch. (shameless plug) My ACT & Fidanza are for sale btw (see footer)