Oil pick up mounting with ARP studs.

marso

I did this to my pickup so I didn't have to use two of the stock main cap bolts for the pickup.

Cut the brackets off of a spare pick up at the tube. You will need the entire length.

Then cut the "L" part off the brackets of the pickup you intend to use. Open the holes in the brackets you cut off to fit the studs and mount them on the cap loosely. You must be able to pivot them.

Put the pickup in the oil pump until it's seated, sqare and flush. Line up the brackets of the pickup where they used to mount and pivot the cut brackts until they overlap each other.

Mark a line where the two meet and disassemble. Cut the brackets at the line.

Reassemble and make sure everything lines up then tack weld the brackets. An "S" will have to be made at the base where the bracket meets the cap so the nut flange will clear the bracket. Make adjustments so the pickup is seated properly or air will be sucked into the engine. Weld it up and go. I didn't use a washer under the nut because there wasn't enough thread protrusion through the nut for me.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii177/marso13/IMG_0022.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii177/marso13/IMG_0021.jpg

Edited by marso

Will the torque specs still be the same...?? I think you will loose some lbs of torque by crushing that bracket. The way I heard of was to weld a stud to the ARP stud itself. ARP themselves reccomended welding to the stud and said it would not cause problems with it's strength.

-Robert

Will the torque specs still be the same...?? I think you will loose some lbs of torque by crushing that bracket. The way I heard of was to weld a stud to the ARP stud itself. ARP themselves reccomended welding to the stud and said it would not cause problems with it's strength.

-Robert

The bracket doesn't crush. It's not as hard as the arp washer but I saw no spreading of metal. I tested the breakaway torque of all of the fasteners before using this setup and all broke within 2 pounds. I ran this set up for 3k miles then tore down the engine to ckeck everything and replace a broken pilot bearing. The breakaway was the same.

Well, that will hold because it's sorta like if you had a main girdle on the motor...

Hey, anyone ever make main girdle's for this motor?

Maybe someone can do measurements and get them made... ;)

An oil cooled main girdle at that.