Jump to content



Bomb Cyclone: Members Ok?


  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 louswheel

louswheel

    King Kong Status

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,240 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northridge, CA
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:15 PM

So as I sit in my living room wearing shorts and flip flops watching the news about this frigid weather slamming the east, I can't help but wonder how people are doing?

Here's to hoping you guys out there are doing ok, surviving this.  Keep your families safe and stay warm!





#2 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

    Established Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Charleston, South Carolina
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:51 AM

We got about 7 inches of snow here in Charleston. Luckily I had my fireplace cleaned /inspected last Saturday. Never lost power but was out of work for 2.5 days. The roads are starting to clear up. Driving to work yesterday was sketchy.

Hope everyone else is doing ok as well.

#3 louswheel

louswheel

    King Kong Status

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,240 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northridge, CA
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:20 PM

View PostTurbo Cary, on 06 January 2018 - 07:51 AM, said:

We got about 7 inches of snow here in Charleston. Luckily I had my fireplace cleaned /inspected last Saturday. Never lost power but was out of work for 2.5 days. The roads are starting to clear up. Driving to work yesterday was sketchy.

Hope everyone else is doing ok as well.

I have never lived in cold weather, so I would imagine wood fire places are still the safest route vs propane or gas heaters?

I just read somewhere about a poor family who died when the pilot on the gas heater shut off and they were killed by the gas.

No work for 2.5 days? If you're self employed, that blows. Salary employees and government workers I believe still get paid.

#4 croquest87

croquest87

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:willoughby
  • Interests:all things mechanical
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 06 January 2018 - 10:07 PM

This is good humor check it out lol

https://imgur.com/dGdxAAA

#5 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

    Established Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Charleston, South Carolina
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 06 January 2018 - 10:40 PM

View Postlouswheel, on 06 January 2018 - 07:20 PM, said:



I have never lived in cold weather, so I would imagine wood fire places are still the safest route vs propane or gas heaters?

I just read somewhere about a poor family who died when the pilot on the gas heater shut off and they were killed by the gas.

No work for 2.5 days? If you're self employed, that blows. Salary employees and government workers I believe still get paid.

I'm an automotive technician on flat rate. If I am not turning wrenches I don't get paid. I had my fireplace cleaned because I was worried about it setting the house itself on fire. If there are cracks in the stack or body of the fireplace then it can easily set your house on fire from within.

I'm also pretty sure gas companies are required to add an odor to the gas in their lines. That is so if a leak or extreme content of the gas is present, it can be detected/warn you. If the family fell asleep while the gas was on that's a different scenario.

My fireplace is a wood burning type. Dirtier than gas types in terms of soot and smell, however I also don't have an extra bill for gas. I can get wood for cheap depending on who is selling it.

Edited by Turbo Cary, 06 January 2018 - 10:42 PM.


#6 Hoosierquest

Hoosierquest

    Established Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Floyds Knobs , IN
  • Interests:Keep the turbo spooled!
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 06 January 2018 - 10:58 PM

No snow here just been cold in South indiana. I have ran out of my good seasoned fire wood but I also heat with propane so no biggie.
The plus with a free standing wood stove is they supply heat even if you lose electricity. I could even cook atop mine of needed.

I'm guessing with the family that passed was probably from carbon monoxide. Either their exhaust on their furnace was blocked or more likely their boiler/furnace burner was cracked leaking CO into the house.
That's a shame and it happens more than it should.
<a href="http://s102.photobuc...t=100_2004.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i102.photobuc...h_100_2004.jpg" border="0" class="linked-sig-image" /></a>

87, .030 over JE's, non jet head, small 16G. Delphi injectors.  Quest owner since 2000.

#7 louswheel

louswheel

    King Kong Status

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,240 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northridge, CA
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:23 PM

View PostTurbo Cary, on 06 January 2018 - 10:40 PM, said:



I'm an automotive technician on flat rate. If I am not turning wrenches I don't get paid. I had my fireplace cleaned because I was worried about it setting the house itself on fire. If there are cracks in the stack or body of the fireplace then it can easily set your house on fire from within.

I'm also pretty sure gas companies are required to add an odor to the gas in their lines. That is so if a leak or extreme content of the gas is present, it can be detected/warn you. If the family fell asleep while the gas was on that's a different scenario.

My fireplace is a wood burning type. Dirtier than gas types in terms of soot and smell, however I also don't have an extra bill for gas. I can get wood for cheap depending on who is selling it.

Yeah, so then that blows.  I know a couple originally from Los Angeles who just moved up to Maine and there business is vehicle transportation.  They are not doing so well in wheater, even though their car carrier is headed west coast bound, they have a hard time getting back east.  

And the family that died was in Arizona and it was st night while sleeping the pilot shut off and the gas killed them. Sad. They were just vacationing.

#8 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,936 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lawrenceville PA
  • Interests:400+ WHP 450+ WTQ!!... and curves with green eyes
  • Model:Starion

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:13 PM

Not a drop of snow here, but is was -10 over the weekend with wind chills in the -30 range!
Not a single frozen pipe either... Thanks to God and my Salamander ;)
'86 Starion, MPI with MS2extra, Ebay To4E 57 Trim (in testing), P&P head, OS SS Valves, Wiseco +.030, ARP head/rod, O-Ringed Block, Schneider 284-H, prepped rods,AEM H2O/Meth Injection, Mighty Max CAS 4 Direct Fire Wasted Spark, BSE, Tial 38mm, JDL exhaust mani, HKS turbo timer and EVC3, AEM UEGO, 3" DP into 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust, 75# Delphi's, Magna modded by Chad, Accufab FPR, Walbro 255, D2 Coilovers, Poly Bushings, Funk-Lock, LED Tails and Dome ... etc^4
2016-17 SCCA Solo Glen Region Champion in Street Modified. Going for a 3-peat this year ;)
87 Valencia Gold TSI, The new Project
My Feedback Link
Posted Image




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users