4g63 2.0L DSM motor swap

ionjon

• 1 month later...

why would you want to keep/use the stock electronics?

you are converting to a engine with a different fuel injection system.

i find it hard to believe that the eclipse motor would bolt up to the stock tranny.sounds to good to be true.But if it isn't i am gonna get a motor and try it.I can get a turbo 1g motor for less than I could go to mpi with the 2.6.mine needs a rebuild soon anyway.

wanting to bring the whole car up a little closer to the modern world.the stock motor is capable of a lot but it's a hard and expensive road to get there due to limited aftermarket support.

I posted a 4g63 swap topic that I did in a 510 a short while ago.

The stock Starion 5-speed does not bolt up. You have to use the D50 5-speed. But that creates a problem, the D50 trans uses a cable for the clutch unlike the Starions master and slave setup. On my car I used the D50 for the bellhousing only and used the rear Starion housing and gears. I cut a hole for the clutch fork and made a bracket for the slave cyl. One option you might try is to use a Ford input shaft mounted throwout bearing , They use it on Rangers. As for the mounts I used D50 mounts. I don't know how you want the engine to sit. As for me as low and as for back as possible. The 4G63 has 2 things on the back of the engine, 1. cam angle sensor, and 2. water outlet. I cut an area in the firewall to clear it all. The oil pan was another problem all together. "custom"  But all in all it was a pretty easy.

I would highly recommend the 4G63 swap in anything. Use the DSM electronics.

Good Luck

• 2 months later...

I posted about this in the virtual garage-  I was told to check in here.  

I was told buschur racing sells parts but their site doesnt mention it.  

I want to do this too-  I can have a intake made and an exhaust made too- but I want to drop the motor in without cutting/fitting tranny & mounts

any ideas?

cause it's fast, different, and gofast parts for a 4g63 are more readily available.  

huh?  Yes the engine is fast but you are comparing equals here.  Slap a stock 4g63 into a quest and it will be slower than the stock g54b!   The parts are more readily available but they cost about the same as our parts do.  

kev

• 2 months later...
huh?  Yes the engine is fast but you are comparing equals here.  Slap a stock 4g63 into a quest and it will be slower than the stock g54b!   The parts are more readily available but they cost about the same as our parts do.  

kev

'Scuse me? How can you figure? With a bleeder valve (or MBC) you can pump the boost on a 14b to at least 20psi with just an upgraded fuel pump. That will give you close to 200 to the ground. Whats that gonna cost you in a Quest that weighs about the same? Ive driven a good running stock Quest and no way is it faster than my AWD when it was stock. I have a 7psi stock turbo AWD sitting in the drivway right now thatll take on even a mildly boosted Quest with no problem. And AWDs are geared lower so top end suffers against say a FWD.

I agree. Conquest with 4G63 and free and cheap mods will be faster a lot faster than a non swapped conquest. I ran 110mph on my GST with free or cheap mods, I mean really cheap mods. That is enough mph with slicks to run 12s in a starquest even if it weighs 2-300 more lbs it should only drop the mph to the 108mph range or so. The fastest I have seen around here with free or cheap mods is about 100-102mph which a dsm can do like nothing.

Not to mention that with a 4G63T you don't need a stand alone and custom intake to run 12s without nitrous. The stock ecu with piggy backs will be good for however fast you want to go, it has gone mid 9s in a street car and 7s in a race car. You will run 12s WAY easier and cheaper with a 4G63.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Just wanted to give my 2 cents worth here. First of all you can have your stock 12a "honed out" like I did, buy a boost controller, upper hard- pipe kit,blow off vave, and 1g mas air mod and that will all get you EFFECTIVELY into low 13's! I havent even upgraded my fuelpump or pressureregulator, or even advanced my timing. Im running (up to) 22PSI BTW.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest castmem
OK peeps. Check it..... If you guys really wanna do a 4g63 swap into the starquest and want all your questions answered be sure to check out http://userpages.umbc.edu/~mbowma1/project...4G63/index.html  This is a member from our site who has decided to do the swap and document every single detail so that everyone can see once and for all how to do the bloody swap so posts like these can be put to rest for good. Please be patient with the site i listed cause the dude is in the middle of the swap and he posts updates just as soon as he has time to update.

For your info on what fits what,  The  18. 20. and 2.4  lt  engnes all have the same adapter plaate on the back of the enginre  thus will bolt up to any  2lt  Quest trany or  D 50/Mity Max 2.0 or 2.4  4 sp or 87 and newer 5sp.    The blocks on all the Mitsubishi 18  20 2.4  2.6 and 3.0  are drilled and taped to be used in either FWD or RWD set ups.  The problem with the 63 engine in a Quest is the head is taller witch requires modifing  the mounting area to lower the engine .  Now there is one exception as far as mounting a 2.0 trany to a 2.6  In the early D 50's that used a 904   auto trans they had a adapter plate that bolted on to the 2.6 engine and had the  2.0 lt bolt patteren to bolt to  the trany.   The thing that must be remembered inusing this adapter  is it is thicker that the normal adapter thus  you will need to adjust for the thicker adapter plate.   As far as auto trans go it is posable to put together  an auto trans to fit either the 2.0 2.4 2.6 or 3.0 engines if you want to .

Are there any opther questions ?

Have fun

Mark_T

• 4 weeks later...
I agree. Conquest with 4G63 and free and cheap mods will be faster a lot faster than a non swapped conquest. I ran 110mph on my GST with free or cheap mods, I mean really cheap mods. That is enough mph with slicks to run 12s in a starquest even if it weighs 2-300 more lbs it should only drop the mph to the 108mph range or so. The fastest I have seen around here with free or cheap mods is about 100-102mph which a dsm can do like nothing.

Not to mention that with a 4G63T you don't need a stand alone and custom intake to run 12s without nitrous. The stock ecu with piggy backs will be good for however fast you want to go, it has gone mid 9s in a street car and 7s in a race car. You will run 12s WAY easier and cheaper with a 4G63.

Sure go ahead swap in  a 4G63  but be care full on the one you choose.

Go to any DSM board and look at  the record of bearing failures.

I've done 113 in my stock 86 W/O intercooler Starion only mod was K&N and a Couple of extra air holes in the bottom of the can.

So the ones RWD has seen must have been pretty tired.

Yeah the Buscher Starquest is fast but it's torn down after every race too.

After looking at the 4G63 , re-building a 6G72TT and a G54BT I appreciate the G54B allot more.

Comparing the 4G63 to the G54B is like comparing a Honda to a V-8

*Modified section of post*

Old School terminology (V-8 = American Made Muscle Cars Pre 1972)

(Honda = Small economy wimpy)

Cranks from 4G63 almost identical to Honda (small wimpy) Four cylinder cranks.

Cranks from G54B same diameter as some American made V-8 Muscle cars.

Pistons and Rods in the G54B are also proportionately larger.

Dollar for dollar the G54B is the best engine at this time for the Starquest.

We are already seeing the 3000GT and engines (6G72) from that platform becoming available and for a more reasonable price. Which over time will (excuse the pun)

eclipse the 4G63 swap.

4g63

the motor is a very potent power plant and an excelent base to start from.  it is capable of almost 500 hp on the stock bottom end.  however it is not the end all engine.

as far as the crank bearing issues (called crankwalk or walking crank) this is a problem with the 7 bolt dsm engine (93-99 eclipse talon laser).  crank walk is when the the crankshaft bearings fail and the crank actually moves or walks along its axis.  this problem was caused when mitsubishi redesigned the bottom end for faster revs and a lighter engine, the 6 bolt 4g63 cars do not have this problem (91-92 galant vr4, 90-92 eclipse talon or laser)  

there are also transverse 4g63 motors that were available in the lancer evolution IV and up.  the engine is still mounted the same as the other version but it was turned around and the manifolds were switched, the intake is still in the rear and the exhaust is still in the front but every thing else was turned.  if you need an example go down to the dealership and pop the hood on an evo 8.  with the new engine mitsubishis enginers have build a stronger powerplant capable of much larger feats.  

there are even more options when working off the 4g63 platform,  using the crank from a 4g64 naturally aspirated engine one can build a stroker kit with roughly 2.14l.  or one can use the 4g64 block and machine it to fit the dohc turbo head of the 4g63 and have a 2.4 liter turbo.  both blocks use the same basic mold with the '64 being slightly taller.  

4g63 motors are readily available through out the states or can be ordered from japan, the question is what set up is right for you.

as far as comparing hondas to v-8's that doesnt make sense, honda does build v-8 motors.  

there are even more options when working off the 4g63 platform,  using the crank from a 4g64 naturally aspirated engine one can build a stroker kit with roughly 2.14l.  or one can use the 4g64 block and machine it to fit the dohc turbo head of the 4g63 and have a 2.4 liter turbo.  both blocks use the same basic mold with the '64 being slightly taller.  

Ahhh, yes... I'm still kicking myself in the a**. I built a dual cam 2.4, ported/polished, forged internals etc...FP Green. But at the time, I had no idea of how to get a tranny to work with it, so I sold it to a friend with a DSM. I'm gonna do it again within the year. Hopefully.

John

"Now there is one exception as far as mounting a 2.0 trany to a 2.6  In the early D 50's that used a 904   auto trans they had a adapter plate that bolted on to the 2.6 engine and had the  2.0 lt bolt patteren to bolt to  the trany.   The thing that must be remembered inusing this adapter  is it is thicker that the normal adapter thus  you will need to adjust for the thicker adapter plate." ~Mark_T

Why would anyone want to put a 2.0L auto on a 2.6?