? about using a tablet to answer cell phone calls?

MikeMeyerhoff

I"m trying to figure out a gift for my mom and could use some help.

She's in the habit of leaving her cell phone in her purse when she gets home. Which leads to a lot of her not hearing it or getting to it in time.

Is there a way to use a tablet to answer/pick up calls on a cell phone? Basically like a second handset? She has a wifi router already if needed.

Thanks

mm

Not that I'm aware of. There is, however, an app called mighty text that will let you send and receive text messages and will notify you of incoming calls. works with android phones/tabs. It will also work on a PC assuming you have the proper browser extension installed and said browser open.

Edit: I have a feeling there's a paid app that does this, but I don't recall off the top of my head. Mighty text is free, so it's what I use.

Edited by viper1355

while looking up info on mighty text, I found another app called tablettalk that does same text/sms stuff as mighty text. Tablettalk also does phone calls through the tablet, but it takes a bluetooth headset. for some reason it can't use the tablet's speaker and mic... So that combo would work for android phone with an android table, but she'd have to keep the headset near the tablet... Edited by MikeMeyerhoff

Have you looked into google voice? With google voice you'd have a phone number (albeit different from her cell number unless she ported it to google voice - see here for more info: https://support.goog...f_topic=1708124) that can be set to ring on multiple locations at the same time.

It could ring to her phone, tablet (using an app), gchat, land line, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Buy a tablet with cell service, and then you will have to spoof / clone a simcard or EIME number depending on the phone network your cell phone and tablet are on. That's about the only option I can think of. Sounds like you just need to do like I did with my mom. Find a cell with a loud outer speaker (some LG one that I found) and then set her ringer to some ungodly lound anoying ring.