Calling all Xbox 360 overheat victims...

strang3majik

I'm just getting numbers together, but, they have me ticked off enough that I'm actually seeing about getting an attorney about this.

My power supply actually got hot enough sitting on the corner of an open table that it burnt the table. In all honesty they're lucky nothing has caught on fire. And they told me that it sounds like its faulty and that I need to buy a new one. Even after I have near $2000 invested between the system, Xbox Live, and games.

But I'm just trying to get an idea of how many people have experienced any type of Xbox 360 overheat. Whether it be the console or power supply. Red ring of death or just a 2 light red ring.

A shame they don't just recall them all like any car company would have to, but I guess that's the good part about being the untouchable giant.

Anyway...anyone who has had this issue...comment below please.

I've attempted the resurrection of 5 RROD units only to have one still working. My nephew has a relatively new one (it's on all day/night) and it's still working good.

That's why I own a PS3, :)

-N8.

I've had a few RRODs but the new(er) Xboxes don't overheat anymore.

Also there was a recall, they gave out new power supplies awhile back, I got one.

Edit: Maybe it wasn't a recall exactly, but I know they were replacing power supplies at one point for anyone who asked.

Edited by leesfer

Yeah ive had 2 RROD one was a release day one lasted like 3 months over the waranty they extended, 2nd was the revision right before the jasper revision... IIRC Falcon. All the previous versions before slim were setup to fail. Your hotest part was mounted under the DVD drive with little to no airflow. There "Fix" was a plastic tunnel to chanle air but no direct fan. And a remote heatsink IE heatsink with a heat extractor pipe into an airflow area.

If you have ANY pre slim model you MUST get one of those small desk fans and have it blow on the inlet for the system and the inlet for the power supply. If you have a slim DO NOT blow a fan on it you will kill the primay side vent fan. But still recomend something to circulate air around them.

As for your power supply did the fan stop working in it? That is the only way I could think it got that hot, unless it was a dead short in it. Might as well just buy a new powersupply save your money trying to fight them. Or just buy a whole new 360 slim you can get them new for 99 bucks last I saw.

Edited by jszucs

I've attempted the resurrection of 5 RROD units only to have one still working. My nephew has a relatively new one (it's on all day/night) and it's still working good.

That's why I own a PS3, :)

-N8.

PS3's began suffering the same fate, only you couldn't fix them as easy. They were designed way better in terms of case and heat extraction though. Feel the out of a PS3 you can cook a hot dog off it. They are just trying to cram way to much into way to small a case. If you wanted to do them proper they should be in a full sized PC case with top, side fans, and fans direct on huge heatsyncs for CPU AND GPU.... if not water, or oil cooling.

Edited by jszucs

ugh, mine has rrod'd like 10times. I've been doing the q tips in the fans thing to fix it, but it doesn't last long. I know, I know, its terrible for it, but it fixes it temporally. Going to buy a new soon, this one is one of the very first ones out, and I'm surprised its lasted this long.

Bought mine used, it was an early Core system and had to go back the M$ about a year before I bought it. Have never had any issues it and I've had it for about 16 months. I say buy a powersupply and play or buy a newer 360 and keep playing. I know it sucks, but it happens.

Do you guys realize how much computing / grafix power is crammed into that small box, for as cheep as possible?

You do realize your only choice for grafix like that before 360 and PS3 was PC gaming which has a MUCH steaper price tag of like $400 for just the video card, let alone a balzy PC to support it. And now your up to 3 or 4 of those 400 video cards for a modern gaming rig. And they burnt up, had to be rebuilt, had random power failures ECT

For the money the Xbox 360 and PS3 are amazing buys for the money.

And again if you have a NON SLIM 360 and you don't build your own proper case for it, or at a minimum run a small external fan just blasting into the inlet and slightly over the power supply..... IT WILL BURN UP. Best I did was about 3.5 years (for someone who serious plays like 6-8 hours at a time I'd call that good. When I PC games I was replacing something about every 6 months. Just look at the power requirements of a video card, and you will realize where all that heat is comming from. Some video cards require like 200W alone.

Mine is the Halo 3 edition which is an elite...supposedly fixed these issues. But the power supply has been overheating since I got it, but, of course I listened and thought it was just the location where I put it.

Now it happens much more often and I have it sitting on the corner of a table. It overheats and the light on the psu turns red and the xbox shuts off. Just last night my xbox got two red lights before the psu overheated. First time for that ever. I do have fans on the back that clip on (called "the intercooler"). Runs off its own power supply. They're loud as hell but I guess they helped as they've been on it since new. But I guess its becoming to much for them to handle.

I suppose I've had good luck with mine being I've owned it since 2007, but, it still pisses me off. Seriosuly have probably $2k if not more invested in this system between the console, headset, games, xbox live......so you'd think that multi billion dollar company could take it upon themselves and fix it.

More or less last night when I talked to a supervisor of the help team, he more or less said tough luck.

And I understand all the cramming into a small space stuff, but, they developed it, they should have designed them for this not to happen or recalled the ones that did. Microsoft even knew it was a problem yet did nothing about it.

Let a car company try that once. Hell Toyota can't catch a break.

But Sony recently replaced a disc drive in a PS2 for me, free of charge. A PS2! An ancient system by todays standards. And it still works. I can fire up my Sega Saturn from 1995, or even my Sega Master system and they will still work flawlessly. My 5 year old $400 xbox I can't, though.

Mine is the Halo 3 edition which is an elite...supposedly fixed these issues. But the power supply has been overheating since I got it, but, of course I listened and thought it was just the location where I put it.

Now it happens much more often and I have it sitting on the corner of a table. It overheats and the light on the psu turns red and the xbox shuts off. Just last night my xbox got two red lights before the psu overheated. First time for that ever. I do have fans on the back that clip on (called "the intercooler"). Runs off its own power supply. They're loud as hell but I guess they helped as they've been on it since new. But I guess its becoming to much for them to handle.

I suppose I've had good luck with mine being I've owned it since 2007, but, it still pisses me off. Seriosuly have probably $2k if not more invested in this system between the console, headset, games, xbox live......so you'd think that multi billion dollar company could take it upon themselves and fix it.

More or less last night when I talked to a supervisor of the help team, he more or less said tough luck.

And I understand all the cramming into a small space stuff, but, they developed it, they should have designed them for this not to happen or recalled the ones that did. Microsoft even knew it was a problem yet did nothing about it.

Let a car company try that once. Hell Toyota can't catch a break.

But Sony recently replaced a disc drive in a PS2 for me, free of charge. A PS2! An ancient system by todays standards. And it still works. I can fire up my Sega Saturn from 1995, or even my Sega Master system and they will still work flawlessly. My 5 year old $400 xbox I can't, though.

O man..... Depending on the model you have you fried it with that fan you though was helping. The "redesign" was the plastic shroud to direct air and the heat sync with the heat pipe putting it out in the airflow. They also reversed the direction of the fans so the hotest air was drawn out, not pushed out.... The external fans your talking about were for the first 2 revisions only. If you used it on the later 2 the fans were going the wrong way and fighting each other.

As far as there longevity 2 years at best. and in comparing to PC world of replacing stuff every 6-8 months Id say it's not to shabby of them. If you knew the power supply was an issue why not replace before it RROD your Xbox?

As for the redesign they did it's a 360 SLIM it's got a fan perperly mounted over the CPU GPU venting directly not the GPU cramed under a DVD drive. They also extened the warenty to 3 years for the origionals and fixed / replaced them in the 3 year time. In the PC world running cutting edge gaming PC you expect to burn some stuff up and most only warenty for 30 days. Heck look at the entier Gforce 5 IIRC series of video cards that burned up in minuts and they did NOTHING for them.

Edited by jszucs

O man..... Depending on the model you have you fried it with that fan you though was helping. The "redesign" was the plastic shroud to direct air and the heat sync with the heat pipe putting it out in the airflow. They also reversed the direction of the fans so the hotest air was drawn out, not pushed out.... The external fans your talking about were for the first 2 revisions only. If you used it on the later 2 the fans were going the wrong way and fighting each other.

As far as there longevity 2 years at best. and in comparing to PC world of replacing stuff every 6-8 months Id say it's not to shabby of them. If you knew the power supply was an issue why not replace before it RROD your Xbox?

As for

No...these fans pull air out. And as I said...I've been using it 5 years. Something would've happened much earlier had these been doing the opposite of helping. I know the early fans you speak of...they get power from the power port on the xbox. The ones I have are temperature controlled and run off a separate power supply.

And I have a PC I overclocked the P4 from 2.8GHz to 4.2GHz and the cheap samsung memory modules are OC'd as well...thing has been OC'd and working since the days that P4 was the shiz....haha. The Nvidia video card was also reflashed with the bios for their SSC model. I've never had a computer component fail other than my crappy dell laptop.

And I didn't replace it because back when I first asked about it, it would've been more sensible to buy another xbox. I believe it was $175 back then. Now that I guess they sell so many of them, they told me $35. Which I'm going to end up buying one, I know it. But its not the point. The point is, you put out a lot of money for something you expect it to last and for the manufacture to stand behind it, especially if its a known issue.

My 1996 Dodge Ram has a faulty hood latch. I'm not even the original owner, but, if I take it to the dealer they will replace it no problem with a revised not faulty one.

Of course I'm comparing cars to a gaming system, but, same basic principle.

Edited by strang3majik

How do people run their Xboxes? I run mine standing in its side, verticle; It may make a difference.

I've been thinking about that, but mine has vent holes on the bottom...I haven't wanted to block them...lol

A buddy of mine is trying to get me to cut a hole in the side and put a pc fan (he did it to his), but...I was trying to get him to understand that the closed case actually helps them cool better. Just slapping a fan on the side won't neccesarily help. At least from my experience with PC cooling...it can actually disrupt the air flow.

One of my computer cases had a fan in the side, and the board temps were actually higher with it on. Not by much, but...made me a believer in what I've read.

How do people run their Xboxes? I run mine standing in its side, verticle; It may make a difference.

I've ran several of them, horizontal in the bottom of a dumpster... they worked the same as they did in the house :)

-N8

• Like 1

Running on it's side exposes more surface area but dosn't really help with cooling other then if what they sit on heat soaks. It's not the greatest option for the DVD drive though. They would rather run horizontal.

No...these fans pull air out. And as I said...I've been using it 5 years. Something would've happened much earlier had these been doing the opposite of helping. I know the early fans you speak of...they get power from the power port on the xbox. The ones I have are temperature controlled and run off a separate power supply.

And I have a PC I overclocked the P4 from 2.8GHz to 4.2GHz and the cheap samsung memory modules are OC'd as well...thing has been OC'd and working since the days that P4 was the shiz....haha. The Nvidia video card was also reflashed with the bios for their SSC model. I've never had a computer component fail other than my crappy dell laptop.

And I didn't replace it because back when I first asked about it, it would've been more sensible to buy another xbox. I believe it was $175 back then. Now that I guess they sell so many of them, they told me $35. Which I'm going to end up buying one, I know it. But its not the point. The point is, you put out a lot of money for something you expect it to last and for the manufacture to stand behind it, especially if its a known issue.

My 1996 Dodge Ram has a faulty hood latch. I'm not even the original owner, but, if I take it to the dealer they will replace it no problem with a revised not faulty one.

Of course I'm comparing cars to a gaming system, but, same basic principle.

If you overclock a mass produced CPU and you got enough cooling in the case you generraly have no problems. If you run cutting edge hardware intened for a gaming rig you are always frying stuff. Every serious PC gamer I knew burned up a ton of video cards from Gforce 2- Gforce 6's.

As for the car geting waranted it's a saftey issue. The Xbox is not really a safty issue. Power supplys do go bad, how many PC power supplies have you been through? Just the on off on off on off of a PC life is hard on them, and the X box is for all intents a modern PC.

Running on it's side exposes more surface area but dosn't really help with cooling other then if what they sit on heat soaks. It's not the greatest option for the DVD drive though. They would rather run horizontal.

Wasn't thinking a bout surface area, heat rises inreasing airflow by natural convection. The DVD drive cares little about how it is positioned and are designed to run verticly as well. Besides by the time it fails due to some orantation issue you don't want the machine anymore, and if you do the failure is far less serious than RROD.

Wasn't thinking a bout surface area, heat rises inreasing airflow by natural convection. The DVD drive cares little about how it is positioned and are designed to run verticly as well. Besides by the time it fails due to some orantation issue you don't want the machine anymore, and if you do the failure is far less serious than RROD.

Ive fixed more DVD drive issues then RROD issues from people having them verticle. While the drive will run that way the accepted prefered orientation is horizontal. The DVD drive is somewhat of an issue as you have to match the correct drive series to the correct Xbox or you have firmware issues. You are not able to just slop any DVD drive into an X box unfortunatly. And the RROD issue is little to none with the proper revision IE the slim, or you just installing an X box into a proper case if your have a previous version.

Not having them horizontal also contributes to the RROD issue if you still have the old X clamps holding the processors / heat syncs on. If there verticle they are pulling away at diffrent points when they get real hot. It's your X box I'm just sugesting whats best. Natural convection is doing little to nothing other then letting the heat go up and over the CPU from the GPU, it's all about forced air, and the amount that can be forced over the processors heat syncs

Edited by jszucs

Mines got two 8800gt's in sli and a 750watt antec psu. Never failed me once. Only computer I've ever ha an issue with is my current dell laptop. Had faulty solder joints on the mobo that failed within a month.

And as hot as this psu gets. It's a safety issue. The oak table where it sits has actually discolored from it and it'll damn near burn you.

The Xbox itself, the heat is contained. So yes that's not an issue.

Also I have the Xbox suspended on like 5 cd cases in the center so it has air movement all around it and I have the psu hanging by the cord. I was able to play it last night for about 5hrs and it didnt fail.

Thinking about sticking it outside my window. It's 15* here. Lol

Mines got two 8800gt's in sli and a 750watt antec psu. Never failed me once. Only computer I've ever ha an issue with is my current dell laptop. Had faulty solder joints on the mobo that failed within a month.

And as hot as this psu gets. It's a safety issue. The oak table where it sits has actually discolored from it and it'll damn near burn you.

The Xbox itself, the heat is contained. So yes that's not an issue.

The PS get hot (first gens in particular) each gen after that droped the power a bit and got less hot. If it's getting hot enough to burn oak there is something wrong, and wasn't the power supply red lighting? If so it should be replaced. You can get one for like 20 bucks on Ebay. I'm not talking modern gaming rigs, with extrem over head in both PS and cooling. I'm going to bet you 100% your 2 video cards have direct on heatsync fans NO? The case has direct venting onver the cards and / or out the top? You cram those 2 cards + your processor + your DVD drive into an Xbox case and tell me what happens. Look at the fan size on your PS it's probly a 50 60 MM fan... .look at the one on the X box power supply. I'm in no way defending them the design of the origional one's SUCKS. But if you got your 2 years out of them it was a bargen for the 200 bucks for the system.