17 replies to this topic

#1 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:36 PM

What A-pillar gauge pods are you guys using for an 86 and earlier car (or manual seatbelt converted 87+)?  

I saw they have one available at this site but no photos:

http://www.gaugepods.com/conquest.HTM

Anyone use it before?  Does it fit correctly? Any other options?

Thanks,
Kevin

edit:  fixed the title.  A pillar not the B pillar.  Sorry about that

#2 aknorthstar

aknorthstar

FarNorth Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:43 PM

i have the single 84-87 that fits 86 . I ordered this for my 87...and it didnt fit ......they think auto belts came out in 88. Luckily i have a 86 also

Edited by aknorthstar, 08 February 2018 - 12:50 PM.

#3 aknorthstar

aknorthstar

FarNorth Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:45 PM

Posted Image

#4 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:43 PM

That looks correct for a flat body with non auto belts.  So that was purchased from this gaugepods.com site?

#5 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 02:26 PM

these would work!

https://www.summitra...arts/cmr-cd1200

#6 aknorthstar

aknorthstar

FarNorth Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 02:35 PM

Yes Gaugepods.com , i bought it for my 87. Ended up using it on my 86

Edited by aknorthstar, 08 February 2018 - 02:36 PM.

#7 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,019 posts
  • Interests:80's & 90's turbo charged cars.

Posted 08 February 2018 - 03:42 PM

Can't answer the question directly ... but I have ordered several gauge pods from them over the years for trucks and cars I've owned and the fitment has always been great.  I really like this company.
1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

#8 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 03:50 PM

Thanks guys!   I also fixed my error in the title.  Not sure why I was thinking B pillars...a gauge back there would be of little benefit haha.

View Posttux, on 08 February 2018 - 02:26 PM, said:

I like this!  Specifically I like the ball mount on it.  Says it isn't available from summit anymore though but it looks like it is on amazon.  Where do you have yours mounted?

#9 ucw458

ucw458

This will mean the extinction of all life forms on this planet.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,387 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:23 PM

1st gen eclipse has the same A pillar.  Eclipse ones are easier to find and fit nicely.  I have a 2 gauge eclipse pod in my 87.  You can find single and dual gauge units on ebay.
My 87
Posted Image

#10 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:18 AM

I thought 1g's had the auto belts though?  

I have a 2 gauge pod for an auto belt car.  I'm switching to manual belts and now have 86 A-pillar covers on so I'm looking for new options for gauge pods.   I really would like to get the wideband up on the pillar and in my clear sight.  I'm not as worried about the boost/oil pressure being down near the console.  Would be nice to get all three of them up high though.  I eventually want to add a pyrometer too.  

Honestly, I hate the look of gauges slapped all over the car.  I was trying to figure a way to tuck 2 of them into the sliding down center console section from an 83/84.  Although it makes them even less visible while driving.    

Kevin

#11 ucw458

ucw458

This will mean the extinction of all life forms on this planet.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,387 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 05:39 PM

They make a 3 gauge pod for a 1g.  It has a slot for the auto belts but that wont make a difference on a non auto belt car.  

http://www.ebay.com/...aJaXhzD&vxp=mtr

I never filled the second spot on my 2 gauge pod.  But after my recent FPR issues I'm planning to add a fuel pressure gauge.  It would be nice to know fuel pressure is good before a WOT run that could damage the engine.  Plus I can add the pressure input to a GPIO on my ECU.  I can program it as a trigger.  For example, if fuel pressure drops below 40 psi i can have it kill the ignition shutting down the engine before damage occurs.

I have a small switch in the side of the console near the shifter.  Hardly noticeable but it serves an important function to me.  It turns the wideband gauge off.  The controller is still on feeding info to the ECU but the gauge isn't lit.  I don't need to see the gauge all the time and it's nice to not have a flashing gauge on the A pillar at night.  Plus it attracts less attention from cops when it's off.  When I add the fuel pressure gauge it will be wired to turn off as well.
My 87
Posted Image

#12 BuGG

BuGG

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts
  • Interests:Starquests forever!

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:41 PM

View Postucw458, on 09 February 2018 - 05:39 PM, said:

I have a small switch in the side of the console near the shifter.  Hardly noticeable but it serves an important function to me.  It turns the wideband gauge off.  The controller is still on feeding info to the ECU but the gauge isn't lit.  I don't need to see the gauge all the time and it's nice to not have a flashing gauge on the A pillar at night.  Plus it attracts less attention from cops when it's off.  When I add the fuel pressure gauge it will be wired to turn off as well.

I did this too
Posted Image

#13 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:05 AM

Great tip, thanks!

#14 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:54 AM

View Postkev, on 08 February 2018 - 03:50 PM, said:

Thanks guys!   I also fixed my error in the title.  Not sure why I was thinking B pillars...a gauge back there would be of little benefit haha.

I like this!  Specifically I like the ball mount on it.  Says it isn't available from summit anymore though but it looks like it is on amazon.  Where do you have yours mounted?

I mounted it on the a-pillar where my ugly old gauge pod was.

I ordered mine from here https://www.boostcon...x-cd1200-52.htm

Edited by tux, 12 February 2018 - 10:55 AM.

#15 mstieg

mstieg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,151 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:05 AM

I never used one of these pillars.  A simple cup mount works just fine and looks better to me.  Takes up less space.

Same call on the off switch for WB at night.
Before: 352 rwhp @15psi; MPI: SDS EM5F; Chad intake & equal length header; S256 turbo (56/80comp-64/74ex); 48" of 2.5" IC piping
Now Done:  7.5:1 .35 Wiseco rebuild w/ crank scraper; 274 Magna roller cam & 1.55 rockers; mod port AMC head; 1mm>valves; Innovate WB; GM alt/rewired; 3" 240 alum radiator, elec fans; BMW X5 oil separator exh. crankcase vent; gas tank renewed; D2s; sway/strut bars; LT1 T56 clutch & trans swap w/ Fidanza; 4.22 rear; 265 Kumos on SHP rears; new steering pump/box/lines & coupler fix: http://www.starquest...howtopic=139558; full dash/console rewire - Autometer, push start, etc.
In Progress: breakin & tune
Future: Enjoy driving again; meets & local shows; AC; WG reroute from open vent to exh; Water/Meth?; body/paint

FOR SALE:  Rear Camber plates (basic); NIB beefy U-joints(2); etc.see-->  http://www.starquest...howtopic=133262 Custom 5 gauge overlay panel: http://www.starquest...pic=136703&st=0

#16 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:33 AM

View Posttux, on 08 February 2018 - 02:26 PM, said:

Just following up on this.  I ended up buying this pod and love it!   I mounted it on the left hand side of the cluster hood.  Fits neatly in that small pocket on the dash above the speaker and doesn't block vision at all.  I also didn't have to hack my 86 A-pillar cover.  I have spare cluster hoods but no spare A pillar covers, if I choose to remove the pod in the future.   I'll post a pic once I upload the photos from my old dig. camera in my garage.  

Thanks again!  

Kevin

#17 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 06:53 AM

Not the best photos, but here it is:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:26 AM

I don't think I can add the switch to the hot wire on an AEM 30-4110 WB.  There is only one + wire on this unit.  It uses a heated Bosch LSU49 O2.  The good thing is that this pod has a ball mount allowing me to adjust the angle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users