12 replies to this topic

#1 Majrdestroy

Majrdestroy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:15 PM

So if the title baited you into this I am sorry.

TL:DR - I need help doing some troubleshooting on my car not working past 4k rpm. Will rev to redline in neutral but not past 4k or when I hit boost for a second or two.

I have been a supreme long time lurker (long time because I am 21 and 5 years seems a long time).

Currently wondering if there is anybody in yhe Gainesville, GA or North Georgia area that knows what they are doing on Starions. I could use some help, to which I cannot pay you but in beer, food, and great stories/good set of ears.

If not please keep reading! I am having trouble with what I assume to be timing/fuel. I have reset the timing already and it doesnt seem to be utterly smooth on revving but semi smooth. It idles a little rough, but will go to redline in neutral however it will NOT go past 4k once I build some boost up. If I keep it at 7psi is will climb up to maybe 5k but then I hit peak boost and it just doesnt want to do anything except in low revs.

So far I have swapped the injectors around and the  I have replacement injector clips on the way. I replaced the engine bay fuel filter. The car has some electrical gremlins in the way of the automatic seat belts not working unless I jiggle the fuse box but I havent checked the grounds yet.

I would like to restore this thing eventually but I would love to get it running. In a year or so I will have my car paid off and be using the monthly payments from that on the Starion.

Any help or even a good luck or let me know you dropped by would be appreciated!

Cheers!

#2 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:19 PM

Check all vacuum lines.

#3 Majrdestroy

Majrdestroy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:42 PM

View Posttux, on 05 December 2018 - 04:19 PM, said:

Check all vacuum lines.

I have been trying to do this but it is confusing as so much is missing.

Also, where do i get vacuum line hose?

#4 87redcat

87redcat

10 years and counting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,768 posts
  • Interests:Aircraft Mechanic, having the wife tell you its about time you finished MY car...
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:46 PM

Do you have a FSM. Factory Service Manual for your year car. In it you will find where all the grounds are. Those need to be cleaned. Its amazing what that will do.

Check the plugs. And what type and gap make a hugh difference. NGK 7031

And what tux said.. There are a lot of vacuum lines and they are old...

Keep us posted
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

#5 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:56 PM

I would start by checking fuel pressure. Check it while at idle.
Also check it on boost.

It should never drop below 36-38  on all stock system and stock injectors.
If you are using aftermarket injectors you should have adjustable fpr and set the base idle pressure to 43 psi or so.

Very important.

Edited by croquest87, 05 December 2018 - 08:06 PM.

#6 Majrdestroy

Majrdestroy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:34 PM

View Post87redcat, on 05 December 2018 - 04:46 PM, said:

Do you have a FSM. Factory Service Manual for your year car. In it you will find where all the grounds are. Those need to be cleaned. Its amazing what that will do.

Check the plugs. And what type and gap make a hugh difference. NGK 7031

And what tux said.. There are a lot of vacuum lines and they are old...

Keep us posted

I have an 88 so the online FSM will work. Ill do the vacuum lines when I can figure out what to replace them with. Any ideas on lines? Black would be preferred in terms of color.

Are the ground a PITA to get to? Do I need to sand the ground or any paint/rust in the way too? Would that need to be resprayed if I sand it down to metal?

Edited by Majrdestroy, 05 December 2018 - 05:57 PM.

#7 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,983 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:50 PM

You can get the vac line at any auto parts store, just take a section of line from your car to the store with you. As for grounds most of them are easy to access but a few aren't. Just use the FSM to locate each of them. When cleaning them you want bright shiny metal on metal contact. Add a dab of dialectric grease to the spot to limit corrosion and moisture ingress, and then tighten down.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#8 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:58 PM

Also, check the vacuum advance...It can cause bucking/sputtering once you get into boost..

See if it holds vacuum....

#9 Majrdestroy

Majrdestroy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 06:40 PM

View PostPreludedude, on 05 December 2018 - 05:58 PM, said:

Also, check the vacuum advance...It can cause bucking/sputtering once you get into boost..

See if it holds vacuum....

I did the suck test and heard it click sorta and it definitely held vacuum but does that necessarily mean it works?

#10 markhansenconquest

markhansenconquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:39 PM

If it holds vacuum ,,then it works (no leaks ) that means hoses too.........clean all fusible links at battery and fuses in car  ..grounds and anything that has corrosion on it......take all the electrical problems out of the equation.....

Edited by markhansenconquest, 05 December 2018 - 07:48 PM.

#11 Bradrock

Bradrock

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Guns, metal working, guns, wrenching, guns,wood working, Gold mining, guns & cool cars.

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:43 AM

I dropped in. Good luck! :)   I'm jealous of where you live. I've done a lot of Gold dredging in White & Lumpkin counties. Beautiful beautiful area!!  Did you go to school with Chase?
Run's with scizzor's

#12 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:34 PM

another thing to check is that none of the bolts for the exhaust manifold or turbo have backed out.

#13 jonboyb

jonboyb

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts
  • Interests:Not saving money
  • Model:Other

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:26 AM

Nice.....a new local member.  I'm in North Alpharetta/Cumming.  If you keep having issues just send me a PM....owned SQ's since 1993 so "most" tricks learned....LOL.  

Bradock.....Bill and company live about 5 miles from me.  Pretty nice estate as you might have guessed :lol:  When Chase graduated high school.....they actually put a banner out at the road front.  Surprised me a little that they advertised.  My Dad owed a NAPA for years....Chase (and Bill) actually really down to earth the times we were around them.

Edited by jonboyb, 07 December 2018 - 10:30 AM.

87 Valencia Quest - MPI MSII
84 Mezzon Gold Dodge Conquest - Timecapsule
89 Dodge Raider - Turbo TBI MSII
11 Ecoboost F-150....Cause TT is Better than a V8

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users