Newbie here from Joplin, Mo

Hey guys

My name is Billy, I just recently made a trip out to Richmond Va and bought an 89 Conquest TSI and drove it back to Missouri this weekend. She's a nice representatition of an unmolested Conquest SHP. 84k miles runs and drives like a dream. Here is a couple pics of her. I bought her from a fellow member of this site.

post-26599-0-28761900-1401207247_thumb.jpg

post-26599-0-17948500-1401207258_thumb.jpg

Welcome Dude!

Nice ride! Looks like my first one.

There seems to be an infection here lately of people making trips around the country scavenging these things up (just grabbed an 89 SHP Fiji from Mi a few weekends ago, 74k ;)

...and that's good to see!

-N8

Thanks everyone! I am so in love with this car....I've had a lot of different cars in my life as I am 38 years old. This one however, handles and drives better than anything else I've owned including a new Acura CL back in 2000, several mustangs, hot rods, family cars...this Conquest tops them all in drivability and handling. I will be doing some upgrades on her, but for the most part she will remain looking just like it does. These things were so far ahead of their time, even to todays standards, I feel this cars suspension is far and above what you can get on a new car....maybe I'm taking it a bit far, but this is my opinion and I am a car guy.

This one however, handles and drives better than anything else I've owned including a new Acura CL back in 2000, several mustangs, hot rods, family cars...this Conquest tops them all in drivability and handling.

Nice! Yours was obviously far better cared for by the previous owner than mine was. Great to hear that one in good condition gets the seal of approval from a first time driver who knows the difference.

I brought mine home on a trailer, so I had no idea what it would be like to drive. When I finally got it running again, after about 10 minutes of street/highway I came to the conclusion that it was the worst handling vehicle (sports car, truck, minivan, you name it) that I had ever driven in my entire life. I blamed 70% of it on worn out struts and bushings and the other 30% on crappy tires. Gives me a little extra motivation to get mine sorted out.

well the guy I got it from is a fellow member on here, and has 3 other starquests. It had brand new tires (Kumhos) all the way around, which helps a lot, but I can let go of the wheel and it will drive in a straight line for as long as I allow it. I think I got a really good deal on a really nice car. I am excited and can't wait for what is to come with this car..

Yes you got a good deal. PO must have kept it in pristine condition. Welcome aboard

Thanks guys! I can't say it enough how much I love this car! Such a nice riding car compared to my fox body mustang! I bought a bov and a hardpipe kit for it, gonna put that on this coming weekend. Also looking at getting a stand alone...heard the megasquirt is the best option...anybody else have a better option or some input on a fuel mgmt system? I was told that just putting a megasquirt or similar on a stock conquest really wakens them up...can anybody confirm or deny this?

I am also a Newbie to this club, although I signed up a while ago. My name is Al and I live in New Hampshire and just posted four photos of my 1987 in the Gallery.

I bought my TSI in 1989 from an elderly gentleman (which I guess is me now) and still enjoy taking it out a few times a year as it just qualified for antique status.

I look forward to reaching out everyone interested in these unique vehicles...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Well its been a while since I posted on here, so I'd like to update you guys/gals as to what I've been doing. I've been gathering parts....lots of them. I purchased a Megasquirt system from Scott87star with the flex fuel sensor added. I got a magna mpi system modded for a quest, which included everything, crank trigger, coil pack, fuel rail,fpr, 750cc siemens injectors, etc. Also got a Hallman pro boost controller, Innovate LC2 Wideband A/F, AMC Marnal NJV head, along with some other little stuff like the balance shaft elimination kit. Anyways, I will be sending her to the shop in the next couple of weeks to have the makeover done and then it will go to the dyno for tuning. I am excited and cant wait to get this done. The goal is to be able to drive it to the track next year and run some 12s(beating up on some friends' mustangs and Camaros with my little four cylinder that they think doesn't stand a chance lol) and then drive her home while getting 20mpg. I cant say enough thank you's to those of you who have helped me with this along the way. This site is by far the best car forum site I've ever been a part of, people are so helpful and not as#holes who don't want to help new guys out, and for that I'm very thankful

• 3 weeks later...
UPDATE: My car is at the shop getting the makeover. After the mpi and everything else is installed I will be going to Springfield Mo to Zhookup for the dyno tune. They specialize in 300z cars but they are very knowledgeable and have experience with these cars somewhat. They are very good and have great reviews. I am hoping to have my car back the first week of the new year. Can't wait to feel the difference. I'm hoping to get somewhere around 330-350 whp out of it. We shall see. :)

• 1 month later...