Think my motor jumped time

questtuner82

Ok so when i changed my flywheel clutch and trans after that i took it for a drive and now it seems super sluggish and isnt building boost as fast as before. Im thinking that the timing chain may have jumped time when i turned the motor backwards a little bit. Is it possible that happened? I advanced the dizzy a bit and its a lil better but still sluggish

As of right now i just adjusted the timing by ear. When i changed flywheel etc i turned the motor backwards and now i think it may have made the chain jump a tooth or two. When i first fired it after the trans/clutch/flywheel install i noticed the car was idling lower than usual. It always idles at 900/950 but it was down to 600/650 way lower than usual. So i just adjusted the dizzy a bit but it just isnt the same. Is it possible that it did jump time when i turned the motor backwards? Ill have to pull the valve cover and check tomorrow. Its about due for timing chain and guides etc. anyways

• 2 weeks later...

ok listen to me,, checking time chain timing is easy and simple

turn the engine in normal direction until it's almost to tdc , with valve cover off,, slowly turn the engine over

until the cam pin is almost to 12:00 pay no attention to crank marks before this time,, once the cam appears to be where it belongs,, stop ,, now look at crank pully marks , is the crank timeing marks are close to tdc , you are good to go ,, one tooth off makes the crank 9 degrees off, that's easy to see :)

if the gear does need to be moved simply walk the gear on the chain one link at a time ,, and recheck ,, be sure to

install cam bolt so the gear does not come off as it's being turn'd

if at any time the crank and chain needs to be moved with gear off cam,, all you have to do is keep an up wards pull on the gear and chain and move the crank , nothing will be harmed

Well aware of how to do this. 😃 i just checked it out yesterday and it was 2 teeth off at the cam. Dont know how it even ran ok. Fixed the issue and set my ign timing at 10 btdc runs really smooth and isnt sluggish and boosts are back to normal spools nice and quick to 15psi. In the process of doing a maft and hardpipes and a rr fpr im also going to probably swap a primary injector with a secondary injector bc it runs lean at idle and up to mid throttle till it hits 5psi of boost