Horrible noises...

hippynerd

I drove the car yesterday, and it started making horrible metal on metal clunking type sounds. I pulled over and looked around the engine bay, didnt see anything out of place, or oil or anything. I started the engine, and it still made horrible noises, but I couldnt identify where it was coming from, other than the engine, so I shut it off and had the car towed home.

I pulled the valve cover, and found no problems. I tried to crank the motor over by hand, and its hanging up on the number 1 exhaust valve the valve gets about 1/2 way open when the motor doesnt want to turn over any further.

What should I check, I dont have an engine hoist or lots of money, so pulling the motor isnt really a viable solution.

I have no idea why this even happened, I wasnt at the drag strip or running the motor hard or anything, I just took a short trip, about 1 mile.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a lot of effort at all to get the pan out, you only have to unbolt the pan and drop it out. If you need to free up a little space you can always drop the skid shield out of the way since it's just 4 bolts. With your description it sounds like you dropped a valve or valve seat but it's hard to tell without hearing/seeing the issue. Did you happen to see what your oil pressure was doing when all this was going on? My car spun a balance shaft bearing not too long ago and it made some god awful racket and vibration.

I put new chain and I think new crank gear was part of the BSEK. I looked, but im not sure which kits i used, I think I got 2 kits from dad that totaled about $80. I think I eliminated, and replaced all the parts I needed with new parts.

I should check (while its not raining), and see if I can back the motor up to #1 TDC and see if the timing gear lines up right. My guess is that the timing jumped many teeth (but it shouldnt idle if it slipped far enough to hit a valve...)

Edited by nerdbouy

And if you run it in reverse like that you can make it jump a tooth as it lets some slack into the tensioning system. I believe Indiana was the one who brought that up. You're better off pulling the pan first, seeing what that tells you (and cutting open the oil filter, etc) and if nothing comes of that pull the front cover and re-set the timing. And do a compression test, not sure if you said you did yet or not.

I didnt do a compression test, im trying to not run the motor until I can crank it over by hand. something is hanging it up, when the motor was running, there was an audible clunking sound.

I have pulled the plugs, valve cover, turbo(just to get make room to work on the car.), and have drained the fluids (no obvious signs in the oil or coolant).

I carefully cranked the motor back to #1TDC, and everything seems to line up properly. Im pretty sure that this motor has (83) long valves that can contact the pistons, but there is no sign of timing change.

Pulling the head means taking out the exhaust bolts, which really sucks.

Pulling the oil pan means 24 10mm bolts, many of which are difficult to remove, and jacking up the car, and a lot of jiggery-pokery to get the pan out.

Its currently 43 degrees outside, theres a lot of very cold metal waiting for me outside.

Ill end up having to take the head, oil pan, and the timing cover off probably before its fixed.

Yeah unfortunately pulling the pan is your best bet. When I drained the oil in mine after it spit out a BS bearing the oil itself was actually clean and not indicative of a spun bearing. However, when I dropped the pan there was a thin metal film on the bottom of the entire pan and the bearing itself was literally sitting right on top of the oil pick-up tube. It really isn't that bad and the bolts are NOT hard to get at, the only two that suck are opposite one another directly above the crossmember but even so a few minutes with a short socket and 1/4" drive ratchet is all you need. The rest come right out, there's just a lot of them.

I pushed on all the pistons, nothing moves, I can also crank it about 10 degrees in both directions and see all the pistons move properly, nothing appears wrong.

Everything is wet, and cold, and I really dont feel like lying in the wet and cold :(

I pushed on all the pistons, nothing moves, I can also crank it about 10 degrees in both directions and see all the pistons move properly, nothing appears wrong.

Everything is wet, and cold, and I really dont feel like lying in the wet and cold :(

if you turn the crank clock wise and counter clock wise back and forth quickly (not alot just enough to make things move)

do you hear any clunking? usually you can find a bad rod bearing like that

Hold up on the cam gear as you slowly turn the motor. You will be able to rotate it to the spot of the hang up.

I would take a closer look at the valves in that cylinder. You may need to loosen the cam towers so they close the whole way. Than spray carb cleaner in the ports and watch if it gushes out around the valves like it might if they are bent.

I was able to crank the motor, like you mentioned. I forgot to take the car out of gear after pulling the cam gear, after I did that, and I bit of fiddling with the gear while working the wrench on the crankbolt got it turning.

It still felt like it was hanging up on something, and liked to stick in places, when I was cranking it, but it would go around.

I took the oil pan bolts out. but I havnt pulled the pan, I'll have to wait to jack it up to get the pan out.

I was able to work on the car a little bit yesterday, I pulled two of of the rod caps off (#2,#3), and they looked ok, I cranked the motor around a few times, its still hanging up, and It doesnt look like its a crank/rod issue.

I think im going to have to take the timing cover off :(

Yeah, i've done all this stuff before, its just a lot of effort, especially with the sucktastic weather. I will now have to remove the power steering, alt bracket, pully, and a water line. The car has been down for a week and a half, and I still dont know what the problem is :(