new custom fiberglass body parts!!!! taking suggestions

87Jassic

im going to be working with a local shop tomorrow to talk about the construction of custom fiberglass parts. such as fender mirrors, mirror hole covers, and...... drum roll please! possibly a air dam bumper combo for a fatty. tell me what you are the most interested in and the things that i have not thought of. let me know.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A front air dam bumper that will help direct more air through the cooling ,something that looks a little raceier along the lines of what I think burton put on one is a flat spoiler Atached to the bottom of the air dam, what u see on the roush mustangs or the front of nascar. I'd think a good designed one could go for at least 400.00

It will all depend on your pricing. I did some fiberglass parts for these cars and others, and it was difficult to be able to sell them for a price that was not only profitable, but low enough to sell as many as possible... That's why I sent all my stuff overseas last year. I could have somebody else mold my parts and get them shipped back to the US cheaper than I could make them myself. I was having some stuff for other cars made over there and I was close to bringing my SQ stuff back to market along with a few new goodies, but lets just say it's been a very bad week to have my FG supplier be out of the Philippines :(

People are gonna hit ya with the FG doors, or FG front clips, and those just aren't economically feasible. Those sorts of things would end up costing thousands per set, and would limit you to maybe 2 or 3 buyers over many years. Hoods, header panels, spoilers, etc.. are more realistic.

MK1 83 hoods are $300, so if you do an 83 style it would have to be cheaper than theirs, or maybe $350 if your quality was higher. If you do some sort of custom hood that nobody else has, then you can get a little more, but not much. My cowl hoods were $400, and that price tag was too high for most people, especially when you figure the shipping costs.

Your parts and shipping will need to be quality. Even a $300 hood becomes a $500-600 hood by the time you ship it, and nobody likes getting a hood with chipped or busted corners. If the fitment has issues the word will get out and you'll get fewer sales, unless the price is insanely cheap.

The problem with these cars is even if you have a good part at a great price, you're not going to sell hundreds of parts. Mold building and R&D isn't cheap. If you spend $2k on a hood mold and R&D, you have to figure that into the hood cost. If you were gonna sell 200 hoods, it wouldn't be bad... $10 a hood. What if you only sell 20? You have $100 into each hood before the hoods themselves are even made. I think you could sell 20 hoods, but it might take a few years. You might even sell 40 after many years, but even then you got $50 into each hood before they are made. The molding costs will vary by volume. Many molders won't do runs unless there's a minimum number of parts, say 25. Maybe they'll do 25 hoods for $200 a pop, but if you do a 50 pc run, they might be $150 per hood. You can either have smaller unit runs and a higher price, or do a larger piece run, put your own money in to cover the extra parts, and slowly get your money back over years selling the extras.

All that said, assuming you are making quality parts that fit well, here's what I think would sell, and what I think the price point would need to be for them to sell well. This is based on all the interest I've heard over the years, as well as pricing I know people into these cars will pay...

Hoods- $300-400 depending on style

Header panels- $150 for an OEM style, $200 for something with some cool custom vents.

Custom rear spoilers- $250, maybe a little more depending on how custom or intricate it was

Front bumper/airdam- $350- Anything with a bigger IC opening would require a custom bumper support which would cost more, or require the buyer to mod their own support, and many people don't have those types of resources. A custom looking setup that worked with the factory support would sell well, especially if you could keep it under $350. That said, FG airdams and these cars aren't always the best combination. Many people might avoid purchasing them even at a good price because the might crack easier than the flexible OEM one. You'd have difficulty selling an OEM replacement airdam in FG... MK1 already makes one for $250 I think, and Nikofab's flexible ones are only $300 so most people would pay the $300 for a flexible one.

Rear bumper with the step shaved out- $200-250- would require the buyer to cut the step out of the foam filler between the cover and support, unless you provided a new foam filler, which would bring the cost up more.

Mudflaps- $300- Used OEM mudflaps are desireable and sell for $300-500 depending on availability, and I heard of a set of NIB ones go for like $1400 or some crazy number. I think that's one of those items where people would almost rather have the rare OEM used ones over a new aftermarket set, so I think you'd have to keep your price below what the used OEM ones sell for. Not really super sure about that tho.

If you can produce those parts for those prices or less, you'll probably do OK. Even if you can offer stuff at reasonable prices, you won't ever sell a LOT of parts. Header panels and spoilers might sell more units than hoods, only because those sorts of parts cost less than hoods and put them in the budgets of more people. A lot more people have $250 to spend on cool looking body parts, than people who have $400-500 to spend on cool looking body parts.

Hope you are able to make something happen. It's a tough scene to be in. If you're not in it to make a solid living and know the right people or have the right resources, it's doable. Most suppliers see the low volume numbers and either charge a mint, or give up on the cars entirely and focus on building parts for more profitable cars.

Edited by Burton

87Jassic,

Read what Burton said a couple of times. This is something that seems to come up every year from another newer member that hasn't seen it play out in the past.

Some of these things are like GP's that have happened in the past and a lot of folks got ripped off. The front bumper/airdam combo for instance. So, most of the guys that have been around here for long, wont be so quick to just jump into a GP without you having something to show first. So, it comes back to you having to front almost all of the money to get it going and then hoping people will buy it.

Nikofab would be a good person to talk with about how much work and stuff is involved in something like this, as well as understanding Burtons advice. Im not here to discourage you but IM sure if you did a search on "custom fiberglass", You would uncover a page of threads similar to this one, and they all tend to end the same way. Nikofab is one of the very few that actually went anywhere. I believe its simply because he was willing to risk, and possibly lose, some substantial money to make his GP's go. His parts are nice and his customer service is impeccable. Good luck with it.

BC_99

thanks everyone for all the great advice. especially burton and bc. those were the exact answers i was looking for and it was greatly appreciated. so i have good news and bad news..... ill start with the bad news. i am going to take my time to accomplish the task at hand. and i dont plan on asking for money up front because i dont want to be THAT guy. i would rather produce something that would help the community and make a minimal amount of packet change. so the good news is only for the flatty guys sorry. there could be a chance that the bumper airdam combo could be more affordable because my guy has a connection in Melbourne.

i am going to start with making sheet metal mud flaps if anybody is interested let me know. i need to know if it would make any sense to make these. and also sheet metal mirror covers.

thank you all and happy starquesting. until my next reply. lol

If you can think of it someone has already tried it. Pockets aren't deep enough round these parts to make any kind of quantity to make it worth your time. The best advise, like offered above, is to make some parts for yourself(at your own expense) and post up pics. Lots of dreamers have come and gone and a couple have taken a LOT of money from some members. Don't ask for or expect any money up front for something that doesn't already exist.

@89PalermoSHP

i understand you are hurt but like i said previously i wont be asking for money. i dont want any handouts for something that may or may not be possible. and my guy was not going to reproduce these wheels for our cars he wanted to make 22's for muscle cars and trucks/duellies, but i did suggest he should make a 17x10 0to+10 or-10 offset.

on another note. would anyone be interested in painted sheet metal spoilers?