Magna Hydraulic Roller Rockers

I have a couple questions. this topic has been debated many times, but it hasn't ever come to a definite decision.

1) Will roller rockers from a 2.6 first gen Magna work with the hydraulic cam if transplanted in our motors?

2) Are these hydraulic roller rockers worth much? I know people usually want mechanical.

3) Can these work with a slip rocker cam that has been reground from someone like Schneider into a roller cam?

Educate me!

- Charles

1) Yes they could be "made" to work. But why bother when the 3.0 V6 one's are going to be about the same amount of work to setup but provide a better ration 1.6 IIRC, and you can pretty easy buy 3.0 V6 one's new at most parts counters?

2) are you talking new or used? New the 1.6 ratio one's were pretty pricy (but I got them at dealer cost) so IIRC like $17 each I know Dad (Randy) confirmed I got a better price then he could have sourced them and the lifters for. So if there new I would say there worth a few bucks but not really to the G54B crowd. If used I would say there not even worth there weight in scrap metal as anyone going though the work to make the work right without just shimming is going to want to run brand new one's

3) yes they can work with a slip rocker cam reground to a roller profile..... infact the regrounds are all we have for cams that I know of.

Aussie roller cam and roller rocker should work in our heads with the stock shorter valves used in the US hydraulic slipper applications.

Dad

will the 1.6 ratio brokers work without modification or is modification still needed? what mods need to be done. what 3.0 used them? the 6G72's?

thanks for the input guys. I just want to check as I know there has been a ton of debate on them and I've never really heard just a black and white explaniation and outcome.

- Charles

Edited by nightwalkerancestery

if mem serves me Tim C did a test with a magna cam , using stock magna rollers , the end result was a near quest stock cam function with much less engine roll over or turning force required

then same set up using 3.0 roller rockers , result was slight improvement in valve lift and duration , leading to increased performance on top end rpm's

can you think of what cam(s) and grinds he used for each test? I might shoot him a PM tomorrow and pick his brain on it a little.

- Charles

a stock magna oem cam , he does offer several roller grind cams of his own specs for sale

chyr v6 3.0 are the engines we take the roller rockers off of,,but it's said that there are two diff styles of these rockers ,

I'm not sure of the years the rockers will work from

what I mean the older 90s will work I have no info on the late models 2000 on ?

1) With all respect this belongs in the Adv. Mech section

2) Do you have a set of good OEM Magna roller rockers? Or found a set?

3) To "half" answer your question, I was sent a set of 1.6 Hyd roller rockers from TimC to try with my OEM Magna roller cam. The 1.6 ratio was just a bit too much to allow valves to seal properly so I got the 1.5 Magna rockers which work great (wouldn't mind a spare set). I may still have a set at the shop. For now I have a half set useable, other half not...

Be careful before buying b/c even Tim forgot that the 91 Galant SOHC 2.0 liter rockers are oriented differently and will not work together. Basically you need two sets from this engine to line up properly on our 2.6 G54b. Perhaps you guys can confirm if it's the left or the right pictured here?

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/14392/1_6_Roller_Rockers_91_2_0_SOHC_Galant.JPG

Also - there is no known mechanical roller rocker that works with our cam setup. It would be great if so.

1.6 should be good with stock, but beware: http://www.starquest....5&fromsearch=1

Also, roller rockers on a stock slip cam is actually a DOWNGRADE, because of the profile. The roller is narrow vs. the wide contact surface of the slip rocker's "foot". The roller doesn't come up until later in the rotation and drops off earlier = less open valve timing = less flow.

Here's a quick sketch I made a while back to help show the diff. b/t slip & roller cam profiles & rockers (Magna)

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/14392/Cam___Rocker_compare.jpg

Edited by mstieg

several ways around this problem if the known distance needed to adjust the preload on the 1.6 rocker ,

# the lifter can be sunk deeper into the rocker ,, or #2 the valve stem can be cut enough to allow clearance

triming the valve stem is a fairly normal operation done all the time to adjust for chiping of the stem metal

and the valve sinking deeper into the vale seat due to grinding the seat surfaces

I was told that the 1.6 rrockers would actually need shims or the longer valves to work properly rather than shortening them.

- Charles

that I be lave that was the case also with reginds but an aussie magna is not a regrind

Dad I fully understand what your saying ,, I have only installed 4 roller cams and they all were regrinds ,they were all had too much lifter to stem clearance , madwing the use of lifter shims to adjust lifter preload I have a head to set up in the near future that is a true magna roller so I'm not sure just what I will run into with 3.0 rockers but I also have a set of oem magna rollers I was going to use on the initial set up

I found some old notes & confirmed that Magna rockers are between the 1.6s, w/ more lift than the 1.5s. This was the difference for mine sealing w/ Magna rockers vs not with 1.6 rockers on the OEM Magna cam. I'm on new valve seats, not sunken regrinds btw. OEM Magna on Magna = .465 lift vs. .480-.490 lift with 1.6 rockers (per Tim C). Sorry for thread-jack, here's the good stuff...PLEASE copy & add more makes & models for rocker sourcing:

1.6 = 3.0 SOHC - Caravans, 300 GT, etc.

1.55 = Aussie Magna OEM

1.5 = 2.0 SOHC - 1st Gen Eclipse, (others?)

1.4 = Stock G54b