Quest of fun

dukaine

Hey a few of you guys may recognize me of late around the forums. I am am the guy that has a 91 trans am and wanted to sell trade it. I don't have a quest yet but but today I trade in my trans am for a 88 conquest shp and it should be a adventure. It is a little rough but so is my firebird so I won't complain. The car is a few hours away and it needs a alternator. The alternator issue is already resolved I found a fellow quest member that lives about 45 min from the car and happens to have a alternator for it. So the plan is I go get the car and then I go to his house for the alterantor put it in then drive it back home to Wisconsin. I will be keeping you guys updated on today's events.

A little about me my name is Ben and I'm located near Sparta wi. I have always wanted a SQ since I known about them as a kid. Heard about em since my first car was a 83 Shelby charger. I am 30 years old and have been working on cars as a hobby my whole life. I run a plastics department in a small factory meaning I am the plastics department. I am the only employee in the department. I own my own home and am situated and ready to play out in the garage.

I am sure I will see you guys around the forums. I will keep you guys updated on my little thread on how the future transpires with me in my SQ life.

Later

Edited by dukaine

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup at Tye's house. The new alternator is in. The car is stock and had potential but need some work factory silver with a added sun roof(not sure if it may have been dealer added). There was a nasty snow storm down here making for a interesting drive. The car needs some work but nothing I cant handle especially with ppl on this site to help me out when i can figure something out. it is a auto car silver with aftermarket sunroof Edited by dukaine

Yup started fine in morning and I think the injectors were just gummed up the farther it goes the better it runs it has some electrical gremlins though like if u use use blinkers in overdrive the tach bounces and it goes in and out of overdrive

Then finally made it home and safe

http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae334/duko111/IMG_20131215_164126_784.jpg

http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae334/duko111/IMG_20131215_164145_066.jpg

http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae334/duko111/IMG_20131215_164201_319.jpg

http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae334/duko111/IMG_20131215_164245_458.jpg

Ok now the things to fix checklist

A. Get the car running right. I figured out my mileage. I was only getting 16 mpg on my way home. At times it sputters a bit and doesn't always start right back up after you shut it off but if u wait and try again it will. Not sure if its a fuel injector issue or something else.

B. Figure out the electrical gremlin. I am assuming its a ground issue. But inside mostly with the blinkers when you use the left blinker blinker works but my amp gauge bounces back and forth with the blinker. The right doesnt work but it still clicks and the the tach along with the amp gauge go up and down with the clicking. And when you use either blinkers and you are in overdrive down the highway it kicks the car out of overdrive and into drive. I am not sure if there is a wiring issue near the radio but someone removed all the supports for the radio and the wiring in there dont look pretty so i figure ill start there.

C. Tranny overdrive issues. Takes about 45 mins for overdrive to work and when it does start to work it will continously kick in and out of overdrive for about 30 mins. After that the Overdrive works fine. I am not sure if this is also related to the wiring issue or Tye was telling me that the overdrive runs off a seperate temp sensor under the hood so i am thinking it also may have something to do with that.

D. Lower control arm bushings. The steering is actually really tight on the car but its riding on the inner lip of the front tires so Tye told me it was most likely from shot lower control arm bushing. Also it looked like one of the suspension parts looked bent. I am not sure what they call it on these cars but it kind of looks like a torsion bar on the front and anchors the front suspension down. When I drove the car in the snow weather the front end watch to snap in different directions it was real white knuckle driving. Today on the dry roads its steered fine.

E. Sunroof. It has a electric sunroof that is either off the track or something. I have no idea how to fix these. The seats are wrecked from the sunroof it appears. The sunroof is loose and just dangles around. So the water can just poor right in. If i cant get it fixed right away i would at least like to get the sunroof to seal down.

F. We manually wired up the wipers for now but Tye told me whats wrong with the wipers is the computer until that control them is junk so i need to get me one of them units.

If you guys got any input on what i guy lets hear it

Thanks