87 conquest

Hi everyone, just picked up a white 87 quest with 60,000 miles cheap from a friend and got an 87 red one with a spun rod bearing, but he also gave me an 89 short block with a new stage 3 clutch and flywheel. He started pulling the head off of the white one for some reason just because it wouldn't start(thought it was a head gasket) so I finished pulling the motor. I also picked up a t3/t4 turbo and exhaust manifold and welded a wastegate tube on it and ported it. Any help on who i can get aftermarket head, mpi, and some machinework done by would be appreciated. Ive checked this site before and thought it was great but never had the time to spend on it but a new job that has me home more has helped solved that situation. As i said any help or advice building this car would be appreciated. Thanks again

Hi everyone, just picked up a white 87 quest with 60,000 miles cheap from a friend and got an 87 red one with a spun rod bearing, but he also gave me an 89 short block with a new stage 3 clutch and flywheel. He started pulling the head off of the white one for some reason just because it wouldn't start(thought it was a head gasket) so I finished pulling the motor. I also picked up a t3/t4 turbo and exhaust manifold and welded a wastegate tube on it and ported it. Any help on who i can get aftermarket head, mpi, and some machinework done by would be appreciated. Ive checked this site before and thought it was great but never had the time to spend on it but a new job that has me home more has helped solved that situation. As i said any help or advice building this car would be appreciated. Thanks again

Talked to dad today, trying to get my engine torn down to get the short block to his shop by the end of the week!

Finally made it to dads shop today, lots of cool stuff there. Dropped off my block to get bored, wiseco pistons, crank turned and balanced and just ordered a set of pauter rods ($ ouch). Also bought a marnel head from dad and brought it home to port it before he finishes it up with oversize stainless steel valves and cam. Next is to figure out what intake setup to use with the bulletproof bottomend and t3/t4 turbo.

Well, if you want the hard way, go MPI. You'll need to find an appropriate intake manifold and a standalone fuel management system, etc. The easy way would be to stick with the TBI and go MAF-T, but recognize that you will eventually run into limitations.

BTW, we want pics! :)

Working on the pics, i can rebuild engines but haven't figured out how to put an f'n pic on a computer yet. Talked to racetep alittle while ago about different ways to go with the intake setup, he said they have a setup using the stock tbi with 2-440cc injectors put in the intake pipe capable of almost 400hp, wonder if anybodys tried one yet

A few have been done like that. You should hit up the MPI section and you will find alot more answers to those types of question. FYI photobucket for your posting pics here. its free and the easiest way to go about it.

Cheers,

BC_99

I tried the website, it wasnt working. called the 800# said they were having problems so hopefully it will be up soon, also $5 to forward it to a neighbor on the automated phone service or $6 to do it online and neither was working, kill me

Leave a note on the front door that its ok to be left with ur neighbor. And make sure u sign it. And just let who ever is gonna sign for it know to keep an eye out for em. Also leave ur phone number on the note. Most drivers will leave it. They dont wanna have to keep coming back trust me!

Sat home all day and waited, wasnt gonna miss them again, couldn't do anything on the website or automated phone service cause both were down lastnight but he said if it happens again he will just leave it, thanks bq. Thought i was going to some some bad words yesterday like F#d ex

• 2 weeks later...
Got the new head from dad ported and polished yesterday, now to get it back to him to put the oversize stainless steel valves in and drop off the pauter rods so i can get this project going. Hope to get some pics up this weekend. Still looking for an MPI if anybody is getting rid of one.

Always built v8's, have no idea what its capable of making, trying to find mpi but if i cant i guess i will try making one, seems like enough people here have done it so i should be able to get some pointers. Made one for a big block chevy years ago but it took forever. Got a nice t3/t4 turbo and dad is boring my block and putting in a set of wisecos, bought a head from him and ported and polished it, now trying to get it back to him to finish it up with the oversize ss valves. The motor should be bulletproof, its the intake side i'm worried about.

Working on the pics, i can rebuild engines but haven't figured out how to put an f'n pic on a computer yet. Talked to racetep alittle while ago about different ways to go with the intake setup, he said they have a setup using the stock tbi with 2-440cc injectors put in the intake pipe capable of almost 400hp, wonder if anybodys tried one yet

I run the TEP AIC setup and it works well its just old technology----problem is the injectors being in the OVC pipe the fuel just drips down into the throttlebody insted of being atomized properly---i have currently removed them from the OVC pipe and am installing them in the intake runners---setup comes with an eic to adjust what boost u want them to activate and a gain knob to adjust how much fuel is delivered---

gig out

Edited by DMNDSTAR87

I run the TEP AIC setup and it works well its just old technology----problem is the injectors being in the OVC pipe the fuel just drips down into the throttlebody insted of being atomized properly---i have currently removed them from the OVC pipe and am installing them in the intake runners---setup comes with an eic to adjust what boost u want them to activate and a gain knob to adjust how much fuel is delivered---

gig out

Is this something your doing on your own or is this an add on you can buy!

Is this something your doing on your own or is this an add on you can buy!

The system is a TEP system I bought bout 10yrs ago---I just put system on this past summer because I had it kicking around and do not have money for MPI--I run the 2 factory injectors plus the 2-440's and to be honest my motor only needs more fuel @ WOT and only if I am boosting over 15psi or so---Last thing you want to do is lean out at WOT---A good friend of mine mentioned installing injectors in the intake runners and its a much better spot for proper fuel delivery and has been done before---There are much better options than the AIC kit but its what I had and I have the ability and equiptment to do minor fab work so Im not paying to have the work done and I just like tinkering---Larger injectors are the easiest and cheapest way to go if you are going to stay with the TB setup----As far as HP my car has not been on the dyno so I cant say----upper 300 is quite a lofty expectation without MPI or some go-go juice----STARQUESTRESCUE has had luck making over 300hp with a TB setup----

gig out

Edited by DMNDSTAR87

I would like to get an mpi but have no idea of who I should get one from, if you, have any ideas please let me know, I will also ask dad when I drop off my head and rods on mon. Thanks for the info, I,m still curious of what kind of hp your system will do if you move the injectors. Are you using 2 or 4 in the runners

I would like to get an mpi but have no idea of who I should get one from, if you, have any ideas please let me know, I will also ask dad when I drop off my head and rods on mon. Thanks for the info, I,m still curious of what kind of hp your system will do if you move the injectors. Are you using 2 or 4 in the runners

Used from a member on this site is probably ur best bet for an MPI setup unless u have deep pockets---i do not think I will make more power so to speak by moving the 2--440 injectors into the intake runners just more uniform/efficient way to run them in my opinion---the other issue that made me want to do this is I have my gm mas mounted in the OVC pipe and there is a chance of the fuel thats puddleing in the pipe could drip away from TB and dribble into my maf and destroy it----2 factory injectors in the hat and 1 TEP injector on the left side and 1 on the right side in the intake plenums just where the intake splits to feed all four cylinders---

gig out