#1 Matt888

Matt888

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Not breaking down in the TSi
  • Model:Other

Posted 03 February 2018 - 11:19 AM

Decided to go with an HX35, but before I order a new exhaust manifold from Chad, wanted to pick your brains on how to handle install options.  I'm looking to go 7 blade with .70 on hot side.

- Current stock turbo is on a stock manifold and hot side appears to be attached to downpipe with 3 bolts.  If I go with Chad's T3 log (not the equal length manifold) will I need a BEP or similar hotside for the Holset AND need to have a v-band flange welded on my downpipe?  Will everything at least lineup?

- If I go with the T3 log (not the equal length manifold), is there an HX35 with a hot side option that will bolt directly up the existing downpipe and just avoid the v-band clamp there altogether?

- What happens if I go with the T3 equal length manifold... is it an illusion or does that manifold from Chad place the T3 flange further away from the engine and therefore, change alignment of everything?

Thanks for any pics or help with this.  Holding off on purchasing the various pieces of the puzzle until I know what will fit together!  Chad and I are corresponding, but there's more to my questions than just his manifold above.  Need all the experts to weigh-in.  Let's refrain from derailing the topic with "what other supporting mods do you have" or "why not go with this other turbo" please.  I'm well aware of what can happen to my project car that I don't need as a daily driver when turning up the boost.  Lol

#2 Chad

Chad

noob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts
  • Interests:Starquest Fanatic
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 03 February 2018 - 11:42 AM

The mitsu turbo turbine is taller than industry standards for other frame turbos, so even if we matched the flange position and angle, it's still going to require down pipe modification.  You would be best to just plan on a modified down pipe no matter what your do elsewhere in the system.

Getting a V band discharge makes DP modification easier as it eliminates rotational positioning concerns, if it's fabbed a few degrees off, just rotate.  WIth 3 and 4 bolt flanges you have zero rotational flexibility.

The equal length model has the turbine flange centered between #2 & #3 runners, this moves the turbo back about 2"  because stock is centered on #2 runner.  It also moved the turbo further from the head, but this is needed to clear the compressor housing on large frame turbos anyway.

The log is nearly centered  on the #2 runner, so it's similar to stock in that  way, but I tip the flange towards the fender so it places the turbo further from the head, this gives it more room for the compressor housing and for down pipe alignment.

Since I don't know your setup I'll mention that if you are going to re-use your down pipe (modified), it needs to have a flex section in it.  I sometimes see guys that don't run them, that will crack any manifold and tear out manifold flange studs in the head over time.

#3 Matt888

Matt888

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Not breaking down in the TSi
  • Model:Other

Posted 03 February 2018 - 01:05 PM

That clears things up for me alot, thanks.  Someone else will surely benefit from that also!  So, it appears then that I'll be looking to utilize the equal length manifold with the additional port for a wastegate.

Edited by Matt888, 03 February 2018 - 02:42 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users