#1 pure_insanity

pure_insanity

comfotably content

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,999 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:15 PM

I want some  big brakes for the conquest. I know i dont really need them but ive got some brake issues going on and i think its time to replace my calipers anyways. So if im going to be replacing stuff im thinking its time to upgrade.
  What are my options? I dont need wilwood or brembo and some high dollar rotors, just better than stock. Maybe a larger rotor and some 4 piston calipers.
Im thinking there must be some car that came factory w some parts that will lend half decent. Any thoughts?
some good mpi info that may help someone.
mpi stuff

life is like a roll of toilet paper. the closer you get to the end-the faster it goes.

#2 aconro

aconro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:56 PM

When I was looking to upgrade my brakes a few years ago, I did not find anything that would bolt right on to our cars.  I know there are some old threads still out there with a lot of information on this subject.  One guy converted his front brakes to 3000gt calibers and rotor, but it took some modifications to make them work.

Convette converted his front brakes to Cobra brakes a while back.  But this required turning down the spindles (I believe) to fit the mustang rotor and a custom caliper bracket.

The only option I know of for a bolt on set up is the wilwood BBK they sell.  Link below.

http://search.store....utionbrake.com/
1988 Chrysler Conquest TSI Auto (Sold)
1987 Chrysler Conquest TSI 1JZ Swap
1997 Honda CBR F3 600 (Sold)
2004 Volkswagen Golf GTI VR6 (Sold)
2008 Dodge Caliber SRT-4

#3 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,816 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers
  • Model:Starion

Posted 09 January 2018 - 02:14 PM

I've been doing research on this for the last year or so and the best answer I can come up with if you want a bolt on affair is portfield R4 race pads and a slotted rotor. Anything else is going to require adapter plates and either custom rotors or some oem rotors from some car (different answers depending on who you ask) that are modified to fit.

One of the bigger issues upgrading the brakes though other than just getting something to fit is actually brake balance. As soon as you change calipers you are changing caliper piston surface area and therefore your braking pressure. With such a low stock brake pedal ratio and a master cylinder matched to stock caliper sizes you will need to deal with both improper brake balance and poor brake pressure.

Just some things to consider. The above things are definitely something you can deal with and overcome, but they are something to think.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#4 pure_insanity

pure_insanity

comfotably content

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,999 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:58 PM

View Postspeedyquest, on 09 January 2018 - 02:14 PM, said:

I've been doing research on this for the last year or so and the best answer I can come up with if you want a bolt on affair is portfield R4 race pads and a slotted rotor. Anything else is going to require adapter plates and either custom rotors or some oem rotors from some car (different answers depending on who you ask) that are modified to fit.

One of the bigger issues upgrading the brakes though other than just getting something to fit is actually brake balance. As soon as you change calipers you are changing caliper piston surface area and therefore your braking pressure. With such a low stock brake pedal ratio and a master cylinder matched to stock caliper sizes you will need to deal with both improper brake balance and poor brake pressure.

Just some things to consider. The above things are definitely something you can deal with and overcome, but they are something to think.

Yea, i considered brake balance but was thinking more of crossing that bridge later.  Not to mention, im not opposed to upgrading the master cylinder. I dont really care if they are seriously bolt on as i work in a machine shop w access to every tool known to man down to cnc equipment.
I guess my biggest thoughts are something half way close and something i can pull from oem, or something off the shelf.
Not to mention, ive got to stick to a budget.
mpi stuff

life is like a roll of toilet paper. the closer you get to the end-the faster it goes.

#5 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,816 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers

Posted 09 January 2018 - 04:03 PM

Do you feel like race pads and nice slotted rotors with stock calipers and braided brake lines won't get you to where you want to be? I ask because I don't know your ultimate goal. Its my impression that doing those things will give you a significant increase in braking performance.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#6 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,019 posts
  • Interests:400+ WHP 450+ WTQ!!... and curves with green eyes

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:07 PM

I track my car and run the Porterfield R4S pads on drilled/slotted and recently on solid rotors. No problems to report
'86 Starion, MPI with MS2extra, Ebay To4E 57 Trim (in testing), P&P head, OS SS Valves, Wiseco +.030, ARP head/rod, RPW Roller Cam, Crower Rods,AEM H2O/Meth Injection, Mighty Max CAS 4 Direct Fire Wasted Spark, BSE, Tial 38mm, JDL exhaust mani, HKS turbo timer and EVC3, AEM UEGO, 3" DP into 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust, 85# Delphi's, Magna modded by Chad, Accufab FPR, Walbro 255, D2 Coilovers, GNT Poly Bushings and mounts, Funk-Lock, LED Tails and Dome ... etc^4
2016-17 SCCA Solo Glen Region Champion in Street Modified. Going for a 3-peat this year ;)
87 Valencia Gold TSI, The new Project
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

#7 Chad

Chad

noob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,179 posts
  • Interests:Starquest Fanatic

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:37 PM

I had the old RACE TEP carbon pads, they stopped way better than stock, but they also head soaked the rotors.  I brake faded once after a hard run to 110 and back to a stop, ran out of road at the stop sign and blew through it.  It was going great down to about 15 MPH, then it just quit stopping and I roled another 50-70 feet to scrub that last 15 MPH off.  Something to think about (rotor mass and cooling).

#8 scott87star

scott87star

Technically Challenged, Daily.

• Vendors
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,913 posts
  • Interests:Freezing, thawing, thunderstorms and constant wind.

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:08 AM

There is a guy named John Diaz on the facebook Starquest Engine Swappers page:  

Ok guys i have been talking to aerospace components brakes and i am going to help them and develop a front and rear brake kit for mitsubishi starion's
These brakes can be anodized in any color and there are many rotor options. The price is a round $800 for each brake kit. If any of you guys are interested let me know.

They said if we do a group buy the brakes would turn out to be cheaper.

Now selling true plug and play megasquirt!  Absolutely the best value in stand alone ECU's out there.

I can upgrade your Fuel Injection Pro firmware

Performance Coatings!  Pistons, manifolds, bearings and more!

Now a graduate of EFI University!  www.efi101.com

ECU Vendor link:  http://www.starquest...howtopic=137426

#9 creakyjoints

creakyjoints

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:01 PM

Scott beat me to it! Good price if that's what it ends up being.

Edited by creakyjoints, 10 January 2018 - 12:02 PM.

the dude in the honda said, i thought you said your car was slow, my response was.. well you said yours was fast so i guess we both lied.. haha

#10 Silverjoel

Silverjoel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:89 ESIR.....

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:03 AM

Has anyone tried Montero Sport front calipers?  The brakes are shot in my car and I have some old Mighty Max calipers sitting around (upgraded Mighty Max calipers to Montero Sport - direct bolt-on), so I can eventually compare those if no one has.

Edited by Silverjoel, 11 January 2018 - 02:04 AM.

#11 pure_insanity

pure_insanity

comfotably content

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,999 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:18 PM

Ok, ive got a plan to source some bigger than our brakes from another car. I will report back soon.
mpi stuff

#12 NotStock88

NotStock88

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:08 AM

I was wondering how this kit from eBay works; BIG BRAKE KIT - https://www.ebay.com..._1L0fatgLoAUE6g
NOOB

#13 Chad

Chad

noob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,179 posts
  • Interests:Starquest Fanatic

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:58 PM

View PostNotStock88, on 12 January 2018 - 09:08 AM, said:

I was wondering how this kit from eBay works; BIG BRAKE KIT - https://www.ebay.com..._1L0fatgLoAUE6g

Lots of members have used them.  They used to be called revolution brakes, and I believe they helped develop the kit Oscar used to sell 12-15 years ago.  One of their employees at the time had a starquest.  

I installed one of their 6 piston 14" kits front, and 12" rear (with park brake) on a customers starquest (required 18" rims).  I haven't seen that kit listed in a very long time, but they did make one.  I probably have a old pic of it when I installed it.  It worked perfectly and the kit components seemed well manufactured.  I've installed other kits of theirs on other cars, same high quality.

Pricing is actually less now that it used to be (adjusting for inflation).

#14 Fuze

Fuze

AKA @Battlemagnet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,738 posts
  • Interests:Chess Boxing

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:26 PM

I have that Revolution Brake kit, it's a great kit. Brackets fit well, the calipers are serious four pot aluminum Wilwoods and the rotors are 13" or 14", 14" don't clear the stock wheels. They can sell you the six piston kit as well, just go to their website instead of ebay, they basically make it to order.

Everything you need is in the kit except longer studs, needed because the kit includes a thin spacer behind the rotor to position it correctly. I used ARP's from a Honda Accord and grinded one side of the top flat.

Unless you want to mess around adapting other calipers to the car, it's the way to go. These things make the stock brakes feel dangerous.

Edited by Fuze, 12 January 2018 - 03:28 PM.

Insta = @battlemagnet

Posted Image

#15 Keoni1113

Keoni1113

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:History and museum work, hiking, firearms restoration and shooting.

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:59 PM

Whaaaaaaaaaa? This place is located the next town over from me. How have I not heard of this place before?

#16 Fanta

Fanta

StarQuest Stalker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,977 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:24 PM

ESiR Turbo shop over in japan has a Starion to FD3S adapter bracket
Posted Image

1989 Chrysler Conquest Wrecked
1987 Mitsubishi Starion Sold
1988 Mitsubishi Starion ESiR with 38k Sold
2008 Mazda Miata GT Sold  
2017 Ford Mustang GT PP

#17 NotStock88

NotStock88

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:13 AM

http://www.starquest...howtopic=119370
NOOB

#18 Fuze

Fuze

AKA @Battlemagnet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,738 posts
  • Interests:Chess Boxing

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:34 AM

With the four pot Wilwood kit (revolutionbrake) I am running the stock master cylinder with EBC yellow stuff pads on the back with stock calipers. All rotors are drilled. The car stops hard and doesn't require more pedal pressure.

Insta = @battlemagnet

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users