#61 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:44 AM

Coming by to pay my respects.  Say a post on IG related to this.  

Rest in peace buddy.  Thanks for all the help over the years.

#62 jinx

jinx

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts
  • Interests:I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:49 PM

Really sux bigtime... was hoping there was still some fight left in that tuff ol dawg. Irreplaceable, no doubt

#63 Jody1

Jody1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:58 PM

Sorry to hear.  Great guy.  Eternal peace.

#64 penick000

penick000

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:01 AM

While being knowledgable in these cars and we were lucky to have him willing to share that with us, I think he was proudest of passing on troubleshooting skills that kept many from just throwing parts at a problem and actually getting people to learn how to fix a problem.

Great man and friend.  

pen

Drive'm Hard
pen

#65 Jason

Jason

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:34 AM

It's amazing how one man has had such an impact and helped so many across the country over the internet.  Rest in peace Shelby.
88 Starion Esi-R
Posted Image

#66 Edde

Edde

Still Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,127 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 15 July 2016 - 12:36 PM

Darn, gonna miss my old friend uncle shelby.  Thanks for everything and do rest in peace.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#67 1rst Gear

1rst Gear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:Performance,mechanics and tuning

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:20 PM

I too, saw this on Insta and  had to come by to pay my respects. when it comes to friends it's always hard to see them pass on.  When they are suffering or hurting it becomes the struggle to  come to grips with the idea we may never see or hear from them again until our time here is up.
Wishing him the Best that the Lord has to offer, And giving my condolences to everyone in his family, and every starquester here that held him as a dear friend.  I wish you all the best-

William-
It's nice to not see your self every time you turn a corner- makes you feel like individuality still exist in some form or another.

#68 Xtclink

Xtclink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:39 PM

Hello everyone this is Christina, Shelby's grand daughter! I wanted to thank you all from the bottom of my heart, he would be so happy to know that he had this much of a impact on your lives, and that he was loved by many. We are all going through a rough time right now, I know that you guys meant a whole lot to him and he was more than happy to help each and everyone of you! I am an tears as i write this, you guys will never know how much it ment to him to pass down his knowledge to you, being a mechanic was his life he was ranked one of the best mechanics in the entire world in his younger years, he liked to talk as im sure most of you already know that :) so passing on his knowledge to people he could help made him very happy! This was his life, it means so much to me to see all of these post from you guys it brings joy and sadness as he wanted to do so much more, he wanted to make it to way more meets but unfortunately the last three years his health got the best of him , he is such a strong man he held on for as long as he could till his very last breathe. He did go peacefully but we werent ready , how can you ever be ready to loose someone you love so dear to you. That man showed me everything I know, if it weren't for him I wouldn't be who I am today! I can't express how much these threads mean to me! I've met a few of you over the years as I was 16 the very first meet I got to go to, i'm 29 now. I seen a few of you taking about getting together and doing a parade with your cars, do you really think we could make that happen? Omg he would so love that it would mean so much to him and me , you all were always good to him he would always tell me stories!!! We arent having anything to big for him as you all know this part gets very expensive, we will be having a little get together at my house if anyone is interested please let me know, I tried to make my own profile but it kept telling me the cache code was incorrect so i'm using my fiance's account.. Again thank you all so much, you touched my heart and I know you touched his!!!  R.I.P grandpa I love you so much  your a great man you will never be forgotten!!!
PhotoBucket: http://s1272.beta.ph...tclink/library/
Magna MPI , MS2 3.57, Evo 3 s16g, 750's.  still in pieces awaiting warmer weather or cooler weather.  It's Florida :)

#69 JAinsworth

JAinsworth

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,912 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 06:29 AM

Christina,
PM me the username you want, password, and email address and i'll set up your account.

Any updates on the funeral arrangements?  I plan on coming just need to know when.

Jimmy

#70 Shelbys#1girl

Shelbys#1girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 16 July 2016 - 02:02 PM

Thank you Jimmy!
Shelbys#1Girl <3 Forever in my heart
Some of us grandkids   Fishing

#71 Starfighterpilot

Starfighterpilot

Dirty Old Man

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts
  • Interests:Keeping my Starion reliably scootin' down the road

Posted 16 July 2016 - 05:06 PM

This is a hard post for me to reply to. It's taken me 3 days to put some of my thoughts and memories about Shelby down here on SQC.

I've known and talked to Shelby on the phone since 2004. I cleats called him Old Man cuz he was a year and 7 days older than me. He called me Kid.

An example of what a great guy he was - In 2004 right after I joined SQC, I posted that I needed an A/C foot/face actuator. The next day he Pm'd me his phone number so I called him. He sent me free of charge a good actuator with the bellows that worked for about 6 years. We talked about Starquests and Mopar B, RB and Hemi engines cuz we both twisted wrenches on 'em back in the '70 & '80's for drag racing. After that we stayed in phone contact every 2 to 3 months over the years hence.

I went down to his place in 2012 and 2014. We BS'd the whole day and he gave me some hard to find parts for the Old Broad in 2012. We'd sit on the Ocala Cracker Barrel front porch rocker chairs drinking coke and solve the worlds and Starquests problems for hours after getting something to eat.

I talked to him on the phone in the beginning of June '16 and knew that his time on earth was coming to an end in the near future. I just did not think that it would be this soon.

Shelby and PQ were among the most gifted auto mechanics (and would give you the shirt off of their backs if you needed it) that I have ever had the privilege to know and learn from.

Most important of all, they were among my best friends.

I will miss Shelby very much.

Ken
88 Starion ESI-R SHP BSE/stock original owner 495K Miles

84 Starion ES RIP in 1987

66 Dodge Charger, Modified Original OEM 383/ 365 HP, 4-speed, Sure Grip, original owner, 113K HARD miles - Being Restored

76 Dodge PU, Modified 440/ 425 HP, 4 speed, Posi Dana 60 DIF, 675K Miles

#72 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,386 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 05:54 PM

He always responded to my Virtual Mechanic problems.  I liked that a lot.

Rest in peace.
Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

My restoration project: The Missouri Project

#73 Dad

Dad

Advanced Member

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,166 posts
  • Interests:One stock and one not!
    87 White Quest
    87 Shetland
    83 Starion- Chevy powered

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:25 PM

I'm so very glad I was able to visit with him last August, never would have known he was sick, still out in the heat tinkering with something. RIP Shelby

#74 Coke

Coke

Member Since January 2003

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 01:02 AM

I think a meet should be arranged, in honor of Shelby Brown.  It'll take some time to arrange, but I think it would bring some people together to celebrate his life in a beautiful way.
Dad's Conquest Parts - Has Just About Anything You May Need!
Starquest.i-x.net - AGAIN, Home of the S.O.S. Manuals

1.)1987 Conquest TSi - Rio Red - Totalled October 23, 2004
2.)1987 Conquest TSi - Rio Red - Sold
3.)1988 Conquest TSi SHP - Rio Red - Crushed due to Extreme Rot
4.)1985 Starion LE - Seychelles Red/Nevada Sand 2 Tone - Crushed due to Extreme Rot
5.)1988 Conquest TSi - Rio Red - Sold
6.)1988 Conquest TSi - Rio Red - Sold
7.)1986 Conquest TSi - Rio Red - Sold
8.)1987 Conquest TSi - Atlantic Blue Metallic - Totalled July 3, 2010
9.)1987 Conquest TSi - Rio Red - Crushed due to Extreme Rot
10.)1988 Conquest TSi - Rio Red - Crushed due to Extreme Rot
11.)1988 Conquest TSi - Serbia Black - Sold
12.)1986 Conquest Base - Seychelles Red Metallic - Sold
13.)1986 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Sarajevo White - Restoring
14.)1988 Conquest TSi - Rio Red - Sold
15.)1988 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Palermo Grey - Sold
16.)1987 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Serbia Black - Crushed due to Extreme Rot

#75 mikec

mikec

not around much any more

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,339 posts
  • Interests:Finish line at the Pikes Peak "Race to the Clouds"

Posted 17 July 2016 - 01:42 AM

How many of you remember the original purpose of the Internet: a way for people around the world to share knowledge and help others.  This site and its members have long embraced that ideal but especially our Shelby.  In the old days, true craftsman took on apprentices to teach them everything they could, not just the "how to" but the "why" and to teach them to truly understand the craft, to appreciate the craft, and carry on the traditions.  All of us on this site, and folks on SQC's sister sites, benefited from such a craftsman freely and happily sharing his knowledge, experiences, humor, and love of the craft.

Christina,
My sincere condolences to you and the whole family.  Shelby occasonally spoke of his extended family with pride and love as well as the occasional grumbling "time for that kid to grow up" type of stories.  Because of those stories I know how close the family is and feel for you and the rest of the family as well.  I never met your grandfather face-to-face myself though we shared several enjoyable cross-country telephone calls over the years.

R.I.P. master craftsman Shelby

Michael Cebula
"mikec"

#76 Shelbys#1girl

Shelbys#1girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 09:19 PM

View PostCoke, on 17 July 2016 - 01:02 AM, said:

I think a meet should be arranged, in honor of Shelby Brown.  It'll take some time to arrange, but I think it would bring some people together to celebrate his life in a beautiful way.

I agree, let me know when and where. One day we may get to drive with, grandpa got too sick to help us put my fianc&eacute;e starion together we don't know exactly what we are doing lol. That would be so awesome he would be proud to see you all come together in his memory!!! To me it would be a dream come true, I know he would enjoy it up there smiling down on all of you!

#77 Shelbys#1girl

Shelbys#1girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 09:32 PM

View Postmikec, on 17 July 2016 - 01:42 AM, said:

How many of you remember the original purpose of the Internet: a way for people around the world to share knowledge and help others.  This site and its members have long embraced that ideal but especially our Shelby.  In the old days, true craftsman took on apprentices to teach them everything they could, not just the "how to" but the "why" and to teach them to truly understand the craft, to appreciate the craft, and carry on the traditions.  All of us on this site, and folks on SQC's sister sites, benefited from such a craftsman freely and happily sharing his knowledge, experiences, humor, and love of the craft.

Christina,
My sincere condolences to you and the whole family.  Shelby occasonally spoke of his extended family with pride and love as well as the occasional grumbling "time for that kid to grow up" type of stories.  Because of those stories I know how close the family is and feel for you and the rest of the family as well.  I never met your grandfather face-to-face myself though we shared several enjoyable cross-country telephone calls over the years.

R.I.P. master craftsman Shelby

Michael Cebula
"mikec"

Thank you, he was a great man! Very wise and intelligent , this site became his life after he no longer could work in a mechanic shop , he always made sure to have me bring him his lab top every time he was hospitalized just to make sure he could be on here. He was very dedicated and always wanted you to learn the right way. You could ask him anything he pretty much knew it all when it came to mechanics he was a master mind with great talent he could fix anything u brought him it always amazed me! I wish I would of taken more time to learn when I was younger and really listened I was always the girl he had run around grabbing tools and filling his cup of ice and Diet Coke , turning the car off and back on helping tighten bolts and listen to his mouth lol, but what I wouldn't give to have one more of those days! He told me he talked to a lot of you on the phone ,he loved the last trip he took he told me before he went that if it was the last thing he would do before he died he would be content. He loved you all very much

#78 Tim_C.

Tim_C.

Addicted Starquester

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,106 posts
  • Interests:Serving Our Lord Jesus Christ!

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:27 AM

Yes, Mike C. Said it very well. I met Shelby at a mini meet years ago. Went to his house too. I learned something every minute I was with him. We drove around to the yards near his house. We found a running Starquest but the yard wouldn't sell it or parts at the time. It seems I remember every minute I was with him.
'87TSi .510Roller Cam, JE Forged, TS Rings & plateau honed walls, lightened rods, race prepped crank, mains line honed, balanced, 17C, 3"EX, 2"HardPipes, AlFly, rrfpr, 88trans, 3.90's w/posi plate mods, polyBushings, STSprings, KYBStruts, Camber Plates, CustomAlternator
Traded for new set of tires for my wife's Buick: '87 TSI Gold that needs just about all steering and suspension parts replaced, injectors, a new transmission, clutch, and various electrical gremlins. New owner is a mechanic who is already driving it. I couldn't stand letting it sit any more!
'86 ESiR - OEM Roller Cam, Wiseco Forged 8:1 Pistons, Chad's equal length header, TEP T3/T4 turbo, ACT HD clutch, Fidanza Fly, custom 3" exhaust, 3 core oversized radiator, O-ringed block, AJUSA metal shim head gasket, Dawes Device boost controller
'85 Plymouth Conquest Auto , Wiseco 8:1, super light pins, shaved rods, hi-torque cam, 2.5 Exhaust
'84 Dodge Conquest Parts car
'83 Starion - Gutted stock exhaust with '87 TSi muffler, New engine with: BS Elim,forged Wisecos,balanced,Schneider274H,marnal w/oversized stainless valves
'83 Cannonball Run II Jackie Chan car, Basic ring and bearing job w/less than 6K original miles on body, steering, suspension, & rear end, Lightened stock fly, BS Elim, Walbro 255LPH FP, NEW Clearwater head with all new parts, intercooled, 14G turbo, 2750 car weight
'96 Mitsu Mirage w/rebuilt head. Gets 35+MPG.
'87 Dodge Ram50 4WD Rebuilt engine, fresh stock head, Weber carbed, BS elim. Runs great now!
'97 Buick Ultra (supercharged Park Avenue)

#79 cyberquest

cyberquest

Power Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:39 AM

shelbysgirl......its very cool to see that shelbys love for these cars extended out to some of his family. and its also great to see you signed up on the forums to express to us how much he enjoyed the time he spent here helping us. i know he has given me tons of adivce and guidance not only on this site but over on startquest.i-x.net and he was a great man.

we hope to see you around on the boards so you and your soon to be spouse can get your starquest on the road. and most of the knowledge that we could offer you is probably knowledge that shelby gave to us so its the next best thing to getting the advice from him.

if there is a meet organized to honor shelby i will do everything in my power to make it.
2005 Acura RL SH-AWD
Posted Image
Professor Quest's S.O.S (save our starquest) Manuals: http://starquest.i-x...wforum.php?f=12
E.T. and Dyno Database: http://www.sqperformance.com/

#80 Woody

Woody

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:Starions

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:28 AM

Not truly knowing Shelby, this is still very sad news to hear. Feels like yesterday I was replying to his thread about how he wasn't far off passing and wanted to say goodbye and thanks. He truly did so much for the community and it truly shows in the posts here and in the other thread. May he rest in peace and forever be remembered in the many starions that remain on the road thanks to his help.
www.sweetfrostings.com.au

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users