Mikes 08 Ram

MikeMeyerhoff

Well I've had it for a year, thought I'd make a post. Really its nothing special, but I do plan on having it for 20+ years.

My starquest addiction really drove this purchase. My old dakota that I'd had for 15 years would not have made a good starquest tow vehicle and I'm at that point. I needed a vehicle to tow the starquests around ! The first trip I made with the 84 flatty in tow, it was hardly noticeable. The computer told me I got over 16mpg in moderate hills doing 65. Can't complain :)

So here it is: 2008 Ram 1500 Regular Cab Long Bed SLT 4x2 LSD.

The day I bought it home:

http://home.mchsi.com/~m.meyerhoff/New_Ram_010.JPG

In the last year I've put about 5000 miles on it and added some goodies to it:

First thing I did was a set of hood spears off of Ebay.

Then a set of Mopar wheel well liners. They used to come with these, but the fn bean counters screwed us.

A set of WeatherTech floorliners to keep the carpet nice.

A set of Hella Dynaviews in the grill to give me some cornering lighting.

A superchips tuner. For some extra power and to tame the factory trans programming some. The stock trans programming was so lazy at low speeds it was driving me nuts on the hills we have around here.

The stock paint was crappy and bland, so I had a local vynle shop make me some bed graphics like no other.

And lastly I got a Access Vanish bed cover to clean up the look.

http://home.mchsi.com/~m.meyerhoff/Ram_Decals_front.jpg

Really all I need is my own trailer and I can make it to any starquest meet at this point ;)

that thing gotta Hemi?

Edit: Either way...nice Dodge. That right there is the last of the trucks that can be considered at all manly. The newest body style, while good looking, was made for comfort, and no longer work. So...keep her nice...you won't be able to get another new one like it...lol

Edited by strang3majik

16?!? wow nice. My trip to comubus with the yellow car in tow netted me 11.5 MPG (which in all actualality I'm happy with) Mine is an 03 quad cab 4X4 with the 20" wheels and some agressive tires on it. I also ram 3rd gear the whole way . I'v been considering a programmer now for the same reason, the shifting on this is like grama used to make. Edited by AndyW

instead of a programmer get another truck with a 360 the power band is way more useable in that than the hemi especially for towing.besides it's not a true hemi anyway,flat top piston and a hemi head ain't no hemi. that piston needs a dome the size of a small childs head to be a hemi.that's my opinion on the hemi sure that will start a debate on here boo hoo my truck is a true hemi ha.they run good in the cars but suck in the trucks i traded my in really quick i was not impressed.

lol, no argument here. I replaced a 99 2500 Diesel with 240k on it ..... and regret it. My 03 has more creature comforts which is nice but the power band... I'm not impressed with, you have to rev the piss out of it to get any nuts. Once the 09's start coming out used in a few years I'm going back to diesel, that power is addictive.

Nice Truck Mike ;) i hear ya Andy :sunglasses:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s263/aiche_photos/Dodge%20Diesel/th_Cummins002.jpg

i had a nice R/T Dakota but no way would it have pulled a quest on a trailer so i got a Rumble Bee. at 8 months old Katrina took care of it so i got the Cummins and i'll never go back to gas.

i had a nice R/T Dakota but no way would it have pulled a quest on a trailer so i got a Rumble Bee. at 8 months old Katrina took care of it so i got the Cummins and i'll never go back to gas.

I think a tear just ran down my cheek :(

And...my SS/T is mule....my dads Hemi truck...runs good...but, not with a heavy load in it.

Both are 1500s.

Yeah the hemi is a differnt motor completely from the 5.9. it does love to rev much easier than the la.magnums. the mags had a lot of grunt, but ran out of staem over 4000 rpm. The hemi trucks need a better gearing to bring out the power. I think dodge limits the gears to keep people from killing themselves in the rain the rain.

I couldn't justify a diesel. If I was towing 2+ times a week then maybe. But loafing around in that heavy a truck when its not needed would get old .

Ha Phil, you know I got plans... :ylsuper: :ylsuper: :) When you are up here, let me know we'll do some beer and BBQ.

Really there are some "turbo kits" available for the Ram but they are single remote mount. There is PLENTY of room in the engine bay, but the commercial stuff relies on a single turbo with 800ft of piping. Its disappointing. Maybe thats part of being a Starquester, seeing fab work as normal.

I won't put a turbo on it until its paid for. Which will take a couple of years, but it should be before its got 30K on it.

Edited by MikeMeyerhoff

Hey Mike, that why I won't park my 97 Ram 1500 beside yours. 13 years, 264K later, my V-6 is getting tired. Now we can tow in style and comfort. Do I have to repaint the tow dolly to match?

Hell Roger, look at this thread and tell me you don't want to 360 swap your Ram :) We can do it!

It'd tick me off if your dolly had better paint than my truck. So I'm going to veto the painting idea. :blink: I really can't understand why the paint on my truck is so poor.

• 3 weeks later...

Took the Ram to a judged show today and got 3rd in my class "94+ original truck" .

http://home.mchsi.com/~m.meyerhoff/2009HamTurkey.jpg

In preparation I spent some time with a hose, rag, and simple green underneath the truck. Clean up nicely, but I have to admit that the biggest percentage of "dirt" under the truck was tire pieces.

Mike

I spent this Friday-Sunday at Monstar Mopar Weekend. Which is one of the better show and racing Mopar events in the country. They boast a $50,000 payout and I entered my truck into a pair of brackets that paid $1500 total. Didn't win a cent, but had fun nevertheless. :P

My best ET Run was:

60ft: 2.229

1/8: 9.71@72.40

1/4: 15.12@89.60

Thats on a stock truck with a Superchips tuner. The gearing is wrong for the 1/4... it wants to shift in the last 100ft of track. And my 60fts need help, I'm not spinning it must be electronics.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...