#1 NikoFab

NikoFab

Go Blue Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,905 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:40 PM

Finally ready to install my rear coilovers and can't find my dang spring compression tool.  Of course right now nothing is open and I've got a mess in the garage.  Anyone ever try something else to get the spring to compress?

Cheers,
Nick

#2 Crazy larry

Crazy larry

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts
  • Interests:Cool Cars
  • Model:Other

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:50 PM

Ratchet straps myte work
87 Atlantic blue v-8   89 Fiji blue unmolested stock low mileage.  Daily driver 87 Black. 88 white Drift car..SOLD

#3 NikoFab

NikoFab

Go Blue Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,905 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:53 PM

View PostCrazy larry, on 19 February 2014 - 11:50 PM, said:

Ratchet straps myte work

Got a ton of those...good thinking Brett

#4 vbrad511

vbrad511

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,320 posts
  • Interests:Keep the turbo spooled!

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:07 AM

Make sure to overkill on the straps if you try them. Lot's of pressure behind a compressed spring. If things come loose suddenly it can do all sorts of damage, to the car and you.

#5 NikoFab

NikoFab

Go Blue Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,905 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:18 AM

View Postvbrad511, on 20 February 2014 - 12:07 AM, said:

Make sure to overkill on the straps if you try them. Lot's of pressure behind a compressed spring. If things come loose suddenly it can do all sorts of damage, to the car and you.

Going double with heavies...wish me luck.  I'll take some pictures for you guys.  Back in a few.

#6 383chevelle

383chevelle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:59 AM

man be care full. I was scared doing it with the cheesy autozone rentatool. I was just waiting for one of the arms to slip and the spring getting a good close up view of my brain. Also woooooooo glad to hear you are getting them on, they ride awesome and the car corners so much flatter with just them on.

#7 nomad

nomad

1% planning, 99% flawless execution

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts
  • Interests:I was a Highwayman, On the Coachroads I did ride, Sword and Pistol by my side.
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:13 AM

Why even need to compress the springs? You er installing d2s?  Just leave. The stock ones together to get them out.

If you can completly remove the assembly from the car, just lay it on the ground, and use an impact gun to remove the top strut nut. The spring compression will make everything jump a few inches. Not nearly as dangerous as a spring compressor slipping off when the spring is compressed greater than assembled tesnion.
Posted Image
Currently Have: 1988 Conquest RO4,1985.5 Starion ESI R52, 1988 Conquest RO4 auto- parts car, 2000 BMW M5, 2014 F150 5.0L 4x4 360hp, 2008 Jeep Commander Overland Hemi 4x4
No longer have: 1988 Conquest X15,1983 Starion R04,1988 Starion R04, 1986 Conquest R04 (Owned 1995-1999), 2002 Escalade 6.0L AWD 425HP, 2012 Nissan Altima 2.5S, 1994 Ninja ZX6
My Youtube channel   The Lee song

#8 NikoFab

NikoFab

Go Blue Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,905 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:24 AM

View Postnomad, on 20 February 2014 - 01:13 AM, said:

Why even need to compress the springs? You er installing d2s?  Just leave. The stock ones together to get them out.

If you can completly remove the assembly from the car, just lay it on the ground, and use an impact gun to remove the top strut nut. The spring compression will make everything jump a few inches. Not nearly as dangerous as a spring compressor slipping off when the spring is compressed greater than assembled tesnion.

I would but they're not stock...they're the old KYB half coils so they're a little different.

#9 ucw458

ucw458

This will mean the extinction of all life forms on this planet.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,435 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:05 PM

View Postnomad, on 20 February 2014 - 01:13 AM, said:

This ^

If you want an even safer method, leave the struts in the car.  The first thing you do before jacking it up is remove the nut that holds the strut to the top hat.  Then when you jack up the car it relieves the tension.  If it's on stands already then put a jack under the A-arm and remove the nut.  Then let the jack down.
My 87
Posted Image

#10 NikoFab

NikoFab

Go Blue Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,905 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:32 PM

View Postucw458, on 20 February 2014 - 09:05 PM, said:

This ^

If you want an even safer method, leave the struts in the car.  The first thing you do before jacking it up is remove the nut that holds the strut to the top hat.  Then when you jack up the car it relieves the tension.  If it's on stands already then put a jack under the A-arm and remove the nut.  Then let the jack down.

did you guys have a spy camera in my garage...that ended being what i did.

#11 jszucs

jszucs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,326 posts
  • Interests:"Keep the turbo spooled!"

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:47 AM

Wait if they were alreayd coils, how the heck are they compressed when you just let them hang?  Just crank the coils down and let the suspension fully hang.  Should have like 4+" of movement even at stock pearch height.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users