• Please log in to reply
293 replies to this topic

#281 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  • Interests:Family, Strength Sports, Starquests, Brewing beer and Land Rovers.
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:00 AM

Great work, I envy your patience and attention to detail.
Canterbury, CT
1989 Chrysler Conquest TSi (Project Race Car) Build thread http://www.starquest...opic=147910&hl=
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (Daily Driver)
2002 Discovery II SE7 (Wife's progeny wagon and tow vehicle)

Second place is S*** place , eh.  - Stéphane Peterhansel

#282 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,752 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:46 AM

I have a quick question;  Is 8GA wire to power the fuel pump too excessive?  What do you guys typically fuse your pumps for?  30A?  

Reason I ask is that I have 50ft of 8GA 2 conductor wire, type GPT.  I have the same type in 12GA, but none in 10GA.  

#283 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,578 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers
  • Model:Starion

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:16 AM

Hrm, what is stock? I'm guessing its not even a 12ga wire. If it was me I'd check the oem size and if the 12ga is larger I'd just use that.

Edited by speedyquest, 31 July 2017 - 08:16 AM.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#284 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,752 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:19 AM

I think stock is 14ga.

#285 slowquest

slowquest

Maybe someday, I'll be FastQuest

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:56 AM

Stock fuel pump wiring is 1.25mm, which converts to 16 gauge, max permissible current for that wire size is 12amps in engine bay, 22amps in other areas.  I'd run the 12 gauge(max 21amps in engine bay, 40amps other areas)  and fuse it at 20amps, that's what my LS swaps are running with Walbro 255lph pumps, through a bosch relay. Works perfectly fine.

#286 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,752 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:15 AM

View Postslowquest, on 31 July 2017 - 08:56 AM, said:

Stock fuel pump wiring is 1.25mm, which converts to 16 gauge, max permissible current for that wire size is 12amps in engine bay, 22amps in other areas.  I'd run the 12 gauge(max 21amps in engine bay, 40amps other areas)  and fuse it at 20amps, that's what my LS swaps are running with Walbro 255lph pumps, through a bosch relay. Works perfectly fine.

Thank you very much!

#287 GSRVR

GSRVR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:21 AM

Great work in every aspect. I find myself coming back to this restoration whenever I need some inspiration.
Mitsubishi Starion GSR-VR |2016-Present|

#288 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,752 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:27 AM

Some new pics that I just pulled off the camera.

Fuel tank final assembly:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fuel lines:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#289 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,752 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:29 AM

A few shots of the EC as it sits now with all intercooler piping installed.  

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#290 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,589 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:55 AM

So Close! Looks amazing!

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP
Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!
Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

The Ark was built by amateurs , the Titanic was built by Professionals.

#291 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,752 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:28 AM

Thanks!

Had a bit of a mishap on Monday.  Was changing the oil and rotating the tires on my dodge ram in the bay right in front of the car.  I rolled over the drivers rear wheel of the ram into position.  I left it standing as I ran to the other side of the vehicle to pick up a flashlight to check the rear brake pads before I bolted up the wheel.  Well in those 15 seconds, the wheel fell over...first off it fell onto my pneumatic impact gun.  The wheel is one of those dodge 20" chrome clad wheels that has the chrome plated 'skin' glued to the alloy wheel.  Well the impact gun dented the chrome plated skin in two places!  Highly noticeable on these large chrome wheels.   Of course you cannot purchase just the chrome plated 'skin' from mopar...   But to top that off, the wheel also contacted the cxracing intercooler on the car.  Mashed in a bunch of 'fins'.   Talk about ticking me off!   I spent about an hour straightening the intercooler fins to get them at least not visible on a quick glance.  

If that weren't enough, I finally get back to mounting the wheels on the dodge and my regulator decides to completely blow out as soon as I hit the trigger on the impact gun.   That resulted in a few more hours as I swapped out my regulator/dryer/oiler on my air compressor plumbing system.  Thankfully I had another unit to replace but it was of a different geometry that required some modifications to my plumbing.    

And that still wasn't the end of it!  I bought two replacement wheel assemblies for my utility trailer from a swap meet a few weeks back.  Went to put those on the trailer and I bought the wrong wheels..wrong bolt pattern!  So I guess I'm stuck trying to sell them on craigslist and find a new set....  

What a way to spend the Labor Day holiday.  

Skip forward two days later, my wife takes her SUV into the garage down the road for two leaking tires.  They put new tires on this car in December and it has been back four times now due to slow leaks.  Apparently the alloy wheels are corroding and causing issues with bead seal.  Anyways, she goes to get back in the car and finds that the mechanic never covered the seat when he drove it into and out of the garage.  It was pouring rain that day and he was covered in grease/grime and was all wet.  Well that transferred all over the beige cloth seats, seatbelt, steering wheel, etc in the car.   The guy refuses to admit he caused the issue.  I tried to clean them up briefly last night with some upholstery cleaner..didn't do a thing.     What a week in terms of stupid frustrating issues with vehicles.

#292 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,589 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:05 PM

I am speechless.
I had a guy get in my new Campari to fix a leaking tire.
He must have stepped in grease and slid his foot across my carpet to the pedals.
Didn't have floor mats in and it was a light grey floor carpet.
Was not him. So he said. About 6 inches long. What a PITA to clean.

One of those things I could see it once cleaned most could no or just didn't look close enough.
It always bothered me.

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP
Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!
Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

The Ark was built by amateurs , the Titanic was built by Professionals.

#293 88351wtsi

88351wtsi

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Interests:My kids, music, and cars, not always in that order.

Posted 09 September 2017 - 10:07 PM

Hate to hear about the string of bad luck but your car is looking amazing. Wow!!!! Better than the day it rolled off assembly line esp with all the mods
1988 Conquests  

His:  Durban maroon with 351w  
        Sophia white MS2 full sequential with BW S257sxe in the middle of a full tear down

Hers: Red restored and on the road, mostly stock

#294 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,732 posts
  • Interests:Cars .... duh!

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:06 PM

Wow kev ... sorry to hear about all those crazy things going on.   I never heard of a bead not sealing to the alloy and causing slow leaks on a tire before.  I guess anything is possible.

On a positive note, the gas tank looks awesome.  I remember doing mine up like that like it was yesterday.  I think I even painted my filler neck silver.  

Speaking of silver, that silver valve cover is making me want to take mine off and have it re-powdercoated.  Mine's a gunmetal grey.
1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users