Automatic tranny drums are toast... now what?

natallica

I've contemplated this for a while and now that I've obtained:

• one of BaltTsi's VB mod (level II)
  • Master rebuild Kit with all steels/exedy frictions/seals/o-rings etc.
  • also PM'd MikeMeyerhoff for some kevlar bands

I finally tore into my spare tranny to build it up for my Fiji project. Alan has been kind enough to provide me with the ATSG manual, so I think I should be OK putting her all back together. However I found out I'm in need of a couple parts that aren't readily available from parts houses...I found my drums are shot.

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff408/n8tallica1/DSC03958_zps8d4bb40a.jpg

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff408/n8tallica1/DSC03959_zps7867a741.jpg

Anyone have good ones laying around or know of a source where I could pick some up on the web?

Thanks guys,

-N8

Edited by natallica

My buddy works at a trans shop, ill see if he can get parts for them on monday,

Cool Deal man, I appreciate that! I'm searching too, but it's not proving to be easy.

Lemme know!

-N8

Normally I'd suggest saving them by turning the surface, but that damage between the tabs/ears is bad news. Our drums seem to be getting harder to get. They may have been superseded by newer parts.

I bought a closeout lot of later model Nissan drums to see if they could be made to work, but haven't sorted it all out yet. The pack height is taller which is good, the bearing/bushing has an oil control ring on it and is larger which is good. The apply piston is smaller which is bad. I need to try and have the drum machined for our piston and then we may have a winner!

i lied but heres the place he told me to tell you about http://transmissions....com/automatics he said call them and ask for automatics. Hopefully they have everything you neeed.

Cool, Thanks Dude.

I'll try to give' em a call tomorrow!

-N8

I had to replace the drums on mine. I got them from JP Transmission in TX. Call, tell which one you need for the Mits/JATCO trans. Also helps to give the measurement from lip to slot for snap ring. Mazda and Nissan used different friction stack up for different applications. They are on the internet, easy to work with and quick. I also got a bag of all the washer bearings that used in the transmission.

I emailed them to him this afternoon, good Sir!

-N8

thank you sir

i'd love to hear his opnion of how hard this rebuild is for the average guy,,most guys are scare'd to death of touching an auto trans,,these auto's are not all that hard to rebuild

That's why I figured I'd give it a whirl. I've rebuilt 2 motors so far, and all 3 Quests I currently own are autos, so I'm gonna have to figure it out sooner or later. Hopefully, I can take pics and do a walkthrough, I'm sure that would help the 3 of us that run the autos :)

-N8

In the auto section there are several write-ups on rebuild. I even posted some pic's and info when I did mine. If I can do it any of you guys can.

I've searched throughout the threads and haven't quite found a walkthrough, any chance of one with pics?

-N8

Go to auto section, search rebuild or " band and drums". You will find mine, Mikes and others. I don't know how to attach the link here. Some one tell me how and I will.http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=101625&hl=%2Bbands+%2Band+%2Bdrums Edited by Alan

• 2 weeks later...

I got a hold of Henry at JP Transmissions this week, and he was able to get me both drums and shipping for about $55. Hopefully I'll get to work on it this weekend.

If anyone has any questions about these guys... I'll tell ya now, you will probably never find a greater group of guys. They went out of their way to assist me, and were very polite on the phone and email.

Can't wait to dig further into this, and thanks to them I can!

-N8

Yeah, he asked if they were bearing or washer and if one was 3 or 4 clutch. I didn't have my parts next to me, so I sent him a few screenshots of the service manual pages and a few pics of my drums. Then he asked if the OD drum was with sprag or without, and according to your thread it was with sprag so that's the info he went from. I warned him that I was a newb when it came to these so hopefully I get the correct stuff.

Great bunch of guys!

-N8

I got a hold of Henry at JP Transmissions this week, and he was able to get me both drums and shipping for about $55. Hopefully I'll get to work on it this weekend.

If anyone has any questions about these guys... I'll tell ya now, you will probably never find a greater group of guys. They went out of their way to assist me, and were very polite on the phone and email.

Can't wait to dig further into this, and thanks to them I can!

-N8

for both drums that was a great price

can you post their phn number

MAILING/SHIPPING ADDRESS:

JP TRANSMISSION

1220 DOWDY FERRY ROAD

HUTCHINS, TEXAS 75141

SALES/SERVICE

Local: 972-225-5600

National: 800-443-8135

Fax: 972-225-2538

EMAIL ADDRESSES