swapping my starion any advice on which to pick?

sittin-sideways

i was think of going to with a 5.0 HO with T5.

but will like to know what you guy think is the best

horsepower per doller and center of gravity and weight engine around

at budget at 1000. i know that not realist but i dont have a the money to buy a ls1, 2jz, rb26dett. or sr20det.

what are my options.

dont worry will very open to better idea.

mean goal for build nice drift car with rebile motor for under heavy load of drive.

I think you'll nickle and dime past 1k. Unrealistic buget honestly. Unless you throw a carbed 350/th350 combo in the car.

yea right the oil pan alone is 400 bucks for the 350 swap.

headers are the next high dollar item.

if you only have $1,000 put some reliability in the 2.6.

They are no where near as bad as some say if you keep them cool.

Ever run the 2.6 hard and open the hood at night.

The turbo glows red.

Upgrade the turbo you've solved that problem.

Upgrade the coolant fans and radiator.

Then the fuel, and some hp's

That 2.6 can be faster than a ford 302 or 350 chevy if you know what your doing.

For a grand you'd be very happy with the 2.6 for 5 grand you'd be happy with a decent swap in the future of your choice.

I actually love the 2.6 turbo, but swaps can be fun too!

Been there done that, But you need a lsX engine to be cool these days...lol

Edited by freebird
  • Like 1

hear me out here. a ford 2.3 out of a turbo coupe or svo. you can buy the whole car for under a grand, running with a t5 trans, and the turbo motor is bullet proof in stock form, and easily taken to 350hp using a stock turbo from an svo and bigger injectors. and if you blow it up, cool beans. just go get a 2.3 out of a ranger and grenade that one, or put the stock forged turbo pistons in a truck motor and now its a turbo motor. and later on if you want to upgrade the internals the aftermarket is beyond saturated from decades of circle track racing. just something to ponder..

turboford.org has a bunch of proven combinations listed. No 2.3 even approaches 350hp with the stock T3

Not a chance from such an inefficient stock 2 valve head.

starter and sump maybe a major pita roadblock for a starquest swap. Research it

....and that motor won't like sustained rpm driftin any more than a 2.6. Seen many driftin?

a cheap beatup 5.0/T5 donor probably your best chance of makin it happen for a gran. Tough tire shredders

old 1st gen 300zx vg30 ET r also smooth as silk, tough, cheap/donor, huge potential, and will fry tires forever, even with its stock T3 turbo. Early models come with a T5 also

Dunno how much hassle to swap into a starquest tho, but.... there is a nice vg30 stazz on austarion forum, so it IS doable

My stance from the mustang world... the 5.0 is a little outdated and only made 220hp stock. For a couple more dollars why not go ford modular. You can grab a 4.6 or 5.4 from a junk yard and have 260hp at the very least. No need to rebuild it since most cabs here in nyc roll over 500k on the original motor and the timing chain unserviced (friend was a taxi mehanic). Get anything you need from a crown vic and your set. A t45 is cheap as well. Feel like spending a little more then grab a 5.4 and find some dohc heads and your set for over 320hp and a ton of torque... all at your local u pull.

However, I find it difficult that you'll swap in anything for under a grand. Like above, unless you weld in a carbed 350 chevy and find one in a u pull that is already in spec and can be rebuilt with a hone/ rings and a bearing roll in you'll go over budget. Just finding another g54b and tranny to bolt back in will get you at a grand. I just swapped a g54b for a g54btubo and spent more. I did it all with used unreliable parts to save, and still went over a grand. And its a bolt in swap, so no money spent on fab work.

Only real cheap option I can suggest is jeep stroker. Grab a 4.0 block and 4.2 internals. Combine for 4.6. Any old school ford 24lb injectors and pre obd2 Cherokee High Output intake and exaust amd harness. No tuning needed. Its narrow so no need to worry about fitting like with a v8. Mate to a 2wd jeep tranny, prefferably post 96 for an external slave cyl. Its a strong tranny so it will take abuse, and can be had for $80. Rebuilding with rock auto closeout parts is cheap, and no need to rebuild the head cause if your junk yard one is crap, its a pushrod design so you can swap the head in under an hour with another junk yard one. Bring a spare to the race track for all it matters its that easy. They rarely crack and its damn near imposible to blow a head gasket. I've seen these things built for about $800 and make 280 hp.

Edited by Malykaii

im all for the mod motors, but i drive a stick shift thunderbird with the 4.6 everyday and it has the typical bad valve guide and seal problem on the right bank with 50000 miles. they burn oil like crazy if it wasnt changed every 3500 miles for its entire life (irrelevant of mileage) , or when you start beating on them the heads also cant take the abuse. once you figure out the top end, they have no problems. however the first engine in the car had 160000 when it tossed a rod. i can also weigh in on the jeep 4.0, i have a supercharged 87 with a 92 engine and an ax15. great engines, basically a 10 spline r154 if 2 wheel drive, just way too heavy.. also its pretty long and tall (much more than a 2j) to fit with lots of oil pan mods to make work correctly. no matter how 'out dated' the 5.0 is, its dirt cheap and also much easier to achieve a higher power goal.

I'm tired of you sassin me boy.

but i love you...

in all seriousness though it all comes down to you as a builder and what you can do... 5.0 will be a pretty good powerplant and will be cheap to make horsepower with. It has also been done before so you should be able to find some information about it..

Clow340. You really know your stuff on this topic. Glad I learned something new about something unrelated to mitsus.

Regarding 4.6... my mustang gt has 160k and prob has been beaten on as I'm owner 6. I loose a quart of oil between oil changes and figured between a tiny leak I can't see and prob burning between the rings, that's it. Never occured to me to check the heads. Plus when I blew a coil and was using the snap on modis missfire and cyl contribution test and it showed negative contribution on all cyl. So prob minor head issues and that oil burn. Any chance you can pm me with ssome info on what needs to get done to fix this. Thanks regardless. I also have the Romeo Plant higher flow heads which are better, but prob still prone to the issues you mentioned.

Jeep 4.6 stroker... I can't think of a more resilient engine that you can build to make 300hp and cost 700 $ complete... but if in this aplication it will cost another 700 $ just to get it in, scrap my idea. (Unkess you do what saab did with the 900turbo and put it in at a 45 degree angle... why not put it in backwards too while your at it... worked for saab lolz)

Not bashing the 5.0... don't think its outdated by much, just that other options like 4.6 are more up to date. 350 chevy carbed would be outdated, and a carb on a drifter won't work out. Carbs hate angles and fuel iregulariries. 5.0 is cheap, powerful, and tough, and a drift car needs tough. Plus if its been done and a proven setup, go for it. Only downside is the trannys. T45 and T5 shift like crap. They are notchy and easy to miss a gear. Not to mention the awful cable clutch. Run penzoil synchromesh and an aftermarket shifter I'd say.

Edited by Malykaii

I doubt you can comfortaby do either ls1 or 1jz for that budget. If you checked the for sale section every day of relevent forums of each engine and pieced the parts together doing plenty of research to know what to buy and at what quality... sure. But if you want to build your way and order what would fit your needs not what was available and cheap... 5.0 Plus drifting does a number on your car so getting new or performance parts for reliability and resilience would be in your favor. At 2k $ I feel you'll be very happy with a 5.0 as oposed to hard pressed and broke. Heck, pair it to a New Edge Mustang GT rear end for maximum reliability. Comes with a LSD and 3.73 gears.

For drifting I'd highly recomend a V8 and would vote ford modular or chevy LS... but since its a bidget build, 5.0 sounds almosy obvious.

People that are saying to use a ford modular obviously have no clue how wide they are and the trans for the ls1 will blow you budget out of the water alone. Good luck and be prepared for the unexpected, you will nickel and dime your self to death for sure.