Engine temp questions

importwarrior

When driving on the expressway

Temp is about 190 to 200

Temp in stop n go traffic is about 205 to 210

90 degree day.

I have

180 TStat

185 fan switch sensors fans work fine and are new.

3 Row radiator

Engine runs strong.

Really only thing left to change is to

Rebuild the t body.

Maybe a bad head gasket?

No leaks of any kind.

Kind of at a loss

I run a 195 stat. On a 100 degree day with the AC on I've never seen the temp rise above 180. Logged with a GM temp sensor on my standalone. I have an aluminum radiator with all 3 fans wired together.

Quite the opposite actually. If you watch the temps on warmup you will see it spike to 195. Then the stat opens and the temp goes down to 176 and stays there. I've verified this with the standalone log and an infrared thermometer. My best guess is it takes 195 for the stat to open the first time then it never fully closes until the motor cools down. With a 180 stat I would expect lower operating temps then what a 195 stat runs at. If he's getting 200+ temps I suspect there is a problem.

Sometimes a stat can fail slowly. You can see abnormally high temps for a bit before it fails completely. Broken stat, clogged radiator and inoperative fans are the first items I would check.

Rob, I would suggest taking your stat out and verifying it works by putting it in a pot of hot water on the stove. At 180+ your stat should be fully open. If it's just barely open then it's failing.

OK I can try that.

New rad

New TStat

New fans.

Went for a drive today for about 2 hours.

Temps basically stay at 190 to 195

Stop n go same as first post.

Fans under powered possibly

Shroud causing engine temps to be higher.

Restricting flow through the radiator.

It's possible you got a bad stat. I bought one of those failsafe stats once and the engine overheated on the first use.

There's a plastic diverter that goes between the air dam and core support. It directs air from the scoop up into the rad. Without that much of the air from the scoop goes under the car. I know many cars don't have that plastic diverter.

I would probably test any thermostat I replace first, that's interesting about the fail safe thermostat failing to open because their engineered to fail open not closed.

There is a common misconception about thermostats and what temperature they operate by their designation.

A 180F stat will just start to open just above 180F

and should be fully open at 195 - 200F

The whole idea of a radiator is to bump up the atmospheric pressure so the coolant's boiling temp it raised. Average 12 lb. system will raise the boiling temp to around 245F which is about 33 degrees higher than sea level.

I agree test the stat, the cap, and pressure test the whole system.

I do have the scoop you mentioned.

Fluid level is perfect.

Seems that if the stat opens at 180 and is fully opened at 195 200

Then the system must be OK. the temp gauge is right at 188 to 200 cruising.

1988 Mitsubishi Starion 4-Cyl. 2.6 L

Application Product Type Part # Comments

Cooling System

Radiator Cap

Safety Release Radiator Cap 10327 (13 psi) Check hood clearance prior to installing this cap

OE Type Radiator Cap 10227 (13 psi)

Racing Safety Release Radiator Cap 18327 (14 psi) Check hood clearance prior to installing this cap

Racing Regular Radiator Cap 18227 (14 psi)

Cap Adapter

Radiator Cap/Cooling System Tester Adapter 12021

Cooling System Adapter

Radiator Cap/Cooling System Tester Adapter 12027

Thermostat

Superstat Thermostat 45869 (195º) OE Temperature

45868 ( 180º) Alternate Temperature

OE Type Thermostat 13869 (195º) OE Temperature

13868 ( 180º) Alternate Temperature

Thermostat Gasket

Thermostat Gasket 25187

Thermostat Gasket (1 Pack) 27187

Fuel System

Fuel Cap

OE Equivalent Fuel Cap 10825

Regular Locking Fuel Cap 10595

Capless Adapter 41001

Fuel Cap Tester Adapter

Fuel Cap/System Tester Adapter 12410 (Threaded) Threaded adapter connected to tester

Oil & Lubrication System

Oil Filler Cap

Oil Filler Cap 10088

A couple of basics to check..

1. Make sure the thermostadt is clocked properly in the water outlet housing, if not the water flow can be restricted

2. If the thermostadt is >3-4 years old replace it with a good quality one, cheap insurance

3. Make sure your radiator is clear, pull it and have it rotted out as the tubes can accumulate certain sediments that restrict water flow & cooling

4. In my TSi, I chucked the (2) electric OE fans and installed a shroud/15" mechanical fan. With all of the electrical issues these cars have, why trust the cooling system integrity to sensors/relays/connectors that are >30 years old

My TSi runs < 185 degrees in 90+ plus SoCal hot days in stop/go traffic with the AC on..

Just my $0.02... ;)

1 TSTAT instaled per manual

2 new TStat

3 new 3 Row aluminum - No AC its removed

4 shroud is sealed all the way around where it touches the radiator fans suck directly through the radiator

my fans are real cheap. i am in progress of upgrading them. i don't think they flow well or close to the stock fans performance.

Thanks for the help.

Have you tested this forgotten engine cooling thermostat - the oil cooler bypass valve (engine oil temp thermostat) located in the oil filter adapter housing for the oil cooler yet, see FSM Page 9-52, piece No. 7? Remember, with a CLEAN operable engine oil cooler system, that it removes about 25 - 30% of the engine heat of friction & combustion. Guess what happens if the engine oil thermostat has gone to Starquest Heaven? The engine oil cooler is inoperative and ain't removing the engine heat from the oil.

In the below link, altho the pictures are gone, PQ states that when he tested a good G54B T oil cooler bypass valve - it was shut, bypassing the oil cooler system, until it started to open at 2150 and was fully open at 2500 F. Ya might wanna check that. ;) To test it get a electric hot plate, oven cooking thermometer, a deep metal pot and about a quart or so of engine oil and see when your bypass valve starts to open and is fully open. DON'T USE A OPEN FLAME TO HEAT THE PAN CUZ YOU MAY IGNITE THE OIL OR IT'S FUMES.

http://starquest.i-x...37066456750aaf4

Also what is the solution percentage of anti-freeze to distilled water that you're running? The optimum solution for hot summers is 33 % antifreeze and 67 % distilled water.

When was the last time that you flushed out the engine oil cooler?

For What It's Worth.

KEN