Multiple Electrical problems after shell swap

Amonje123

Ok so im having a few problems with my car i just did a shell swap on. The problem is my headlights are on all the time once i connect the battery. The power mirrors dont work. No front wipers. Climate control doesnt come on. And finally the motor doesnt turn over with the key. I only get 2 clicks from the left and right kick panels.

Everything else works perfect. Windows go up and down. Horn,interior lights,power door locks,cigarette lighter,brake lights,turn signals,hazards, wiper squirters, all the stuff works and functions how it should. The motor will turn over if i power the stater. Just what i listed above.

Maybe something isnt grounded properly or plug something in right. Thanks for any tips.

When you say shell do you mean the cover on the instrument panel or the body of the whole vehicle, which is kinda confusing because their unibody and the frame is part of the body.

Is this an auto transmission vehicle?

Is it different years from each?

What parts were exchanged and kept?

sounds like he figured out exactly what's wrong. Grounds and conector plugs.

You'll have to isolate each problem and trouble shoot.

First I'd check the fusible links... Once I replaced a bad one on my 86, everything came to life..

Ok basically what i did was i strip down an 87 that was my parts car and converted it over to an 86 that was crashed. And when i strip down i mean everything except doors,windows, and rear bumper. Everything else came off and i mean everything.

The car now has everything 86 on it now. Ecu, all the engine,dash, and tail light harnesses. Even the gas tank and lights all 86 lol. The car is a Manuel trans.

So far i checked the grounds at the the fuse link box, battery main, intake manifold, ecu,transmission. And my power prob shows green for ground on all of these. Is their any other grounds i havent named that i need to check.

Thanks for all of yours guys help

I know on my 86 the relay box has a completely different plug than the 87-89. Did it plug right in? If you swapped the harness did you check for shorts or breaks before installing? Edited by Turbo Cary

You cant trust that you got a green with your probe. Actually remove the bolt and clean the all the mating surfaces of the bolt, part of the car the bolt attaches to and the !!wire connectors. The grounds mean that much to this system.

As far as where all the grounds are. Now that you basically have an 86, you need to look in the 86 FSM (which you can find on this site) and look in ch 8 (electrical) and it will show you pics of where all the grounds are that you need to clean up.

Even all the connecrors in the plugs should be cleaned. Remeber these cars are almost 30 yrs old now. There's bound to be some corrosion lerking around all these wires.

Professor Quest has a great write up over at http://starquest.i-x.net/ for the electrical system.

FYI PQ passed away and the guys over there keep his stuff up cause its good.

hope this helps

All of the grounds and wires are very clean. Thats one thing i did when i put the car back together. Even all new links and all the plugs look new. Electronic grease was put on the conectors. I will check all grounds again and figure this thing out. I have the tools and brain to figure this out. Thanks guys hopefully i can have this baby ready for mod.

ok so I pulled out the wiring diagrams and figured out a few problems so far. I got the mirrors working and the lights go on and off like their suppose to. I don't really know what I did I just losing all the grounds and retighten them. Also unplugged all the relays/links and plugged them back in and that fixed that.

Im working on the car not starting. I check the ignition switch and its working perfect got power to and out to the ecu. But the blk-yellow that goes to the starter doesn't get power. So im losing power from the ecu to the starter. I added a jumper wire from the ecu to the starter and the it will turn over with the key but no fuel pump coming on. I jump the pump and car fires right up, but my rpm gauge doesn't work. Where does the rpm signal come from? The igniter coil or dizzy? The diagram I have shows the crank signal coming out of the ecu to the control relay. It goes to ground there and fuse 13(Turn Clignot) whatever that is lol. Maybe my fuel pump relay is bad. Any info on this would be great.

I haven't looked into the climate control yet. Maybe I forgot to plug it in lol ill pull the radio and look up there. Im not running the 87 ETACS I put the one from 86 in there. But ill look into that.

Also im gas gauge doesn't work I put 8 gallons in and the gauge show empty. Maybe that is part of the problem idk yet

Thanks for the advise guys it really helps out...