what's life like in Kansas city, MO

allen405

I just got off the phone with someone from there who would like to have my skills/experience and he is gonna gett back to me Monday. It is doing what I used to do a couple years ago so it would be right up my alley.

The only thing tho' is. I don't know anyone there, I wouldn't have a place to live for my family and I got zero income to work with.

what are some of your thoughts.

Edited by allen405

You might have to go alone for the first couple weeks and find a place before moving everyone down there. And even though it's a risk, make sure it's a calculated risk. I have a friend who went to another state for work once and came back after a couple weeks because it wasn't worth it.
  • Like 1

One other thing about KC is that Its very spread out. Downtown isn't the only "center" of KC, meaning there is a lot of driving (and still farmland for that matter) between the various areas. So its seems more like living in a smaller town than a city at times. Urban sprawl is in full effect and any "older" areas seem to collapse when all the money moves out. So there are good areas to raise a family, but those areas are "new" and housing prices reflect that.

No more dragstrip in town either. Liberals forced it closed quite literally. SCCA is strong and active though.

Thanks for the reply. Right now its just talk, if I did take the job they would have to put me up somewhere cuz I have no family down there. Also they would have to give me some money to bring down my tools and my quest. Is there snow there right now?

• 2 months later...
Kansas City can get the worst of both the summers and winters -- although lately winters have been mild (except for last month). The Humidity is probably a lot higher during the summer heat than you're used to experiencing -- warm, moist air from the Gulf gets here. Probably windier and more severe weather than in MN. The suburbs are probably similar to Minneapolis. Spread out and generally traffic isn't too bad even during rush hour compared to bigger cities. Looks like you'd be working right down near the river on the east side near 435. You could live north or South. My wife used to drive from Lee's Summit (southeast) to that area - about 20 miles and took her about 25-30 minutes. Living up north would be closer.