• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 strang3majik

strang3majik

Strang3milk Returns

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,010 posts
  • Interests:Life, the universe, and everything.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:11 PM

First...I want to thank serpentkilla for giving me the quick run through, and letting me witness his blue lighted stuff smile.gif
and, Austin88ESIR for some of the pics, and for the general idea on this how to  thumbsup.gif

Even though our cars are different already, I just had a want to make it even more so.  Being tired of the dated orange lighting scheme, and already having the blue Mookeh Gauges, I decided to attack the clock and HVAC controls.  As a bonus, I dug into a junkyard radio to find out how to change its colors, while I havent done it to mine yet...I have pics for a how to (on my radio anyway)

Before we get started, I want to let you know, I am open to any questions about any steps, because, this is a lot to type, and I may not have elaborated on something smile.gif  PM me and I will answer you and add it in here.

Oh...and sorry for the bookoo big pictures...

Okay...to start, lets go with the basic needs for all three projects.
- Both small and medium phillips and a small flat head screwdriver
- I used the (but blue) Leds (got at Autozone)
- soldering iron
- electrical tape
- dremel tool
- transparent tape/plastic pieces (in desired color)
- and no fear smile.gif

CLOCK
Alright...lets start with the easiest, being the clock.  I used 1 blue LED strip, and that was plenty.  Once you remove it from the dash, pull the face off...leaving you with this.

then...pull the LCD and brown board out of the back casing (pull straight out)

remove the bulb, and run your wires through from the front through the bulb hole for the LEDs...being sure to remember, positive is the side closest to the computer chip...also, remove the 2 sided tape off the LED strip so it will fit for later

now, solder the wires as seen above, and pull the wires completly through to the back leaving an inch or so in the front with the LED...also, put electrical tape over the soldering so no shorting with the back board occurs. (as seen below)

Now, put the board and LCD back in place in the backing, and then, place the LED strip face down on the top of the clock LCD wires, and securing it with electrical tape, as below.

Once it is secured, replace the face, gently fitting it over the LEDs, making sure tabs are all clicked in...install, and enjoy.  Blue is very visible, both night and day.  Also, this process is the same, regardless of color choice.
END

HVAC Controls
I did this successfully with the 88-89 controls....however, the 87-prior controls I am unsure of with the silver buttons if the button color changing is any different.  So, just a warning.

Heres the fun one.  While I didn't change the button color to blue (I chose red), it requires simply soldering in your color choice LEDs, and the remainder of the steps Ill show you.

First, lets get rid of that crappy orange in the LCD.  I used 1 LED strip, I recommend 2 for this to have better brightness....either way, its still okay.
Remove the HVAC controls, and then, take the four screws out of the upper computer chip.  Pull it straight out, also, removing both bulbs, and screws that are underneath the plastic.
(these screws and bulbs seen in the center)

now, here comes the part that brought most stress to me, but then turned out to be easy.  (If you want red, you may skip this step)
Take the LCD, and place a small flathead gently between the glass and white plastic, and twisting it gently.

once you break the glue, gently peel the plastic away from the LCD (make sure screws and bulbs are removed)

Here, you will see the culprit.  The little jerk that took me forever to find

Remove that orange little thing and throw it away, or keep it as a trophy to show you were brave enough to do this mod smile.gif

Now that you have the white plastic piece out, it will make the next part easier, but, if you are going red, you can leave the plastic in and do this.
With your dremel, cut between the two white holes.  I exagerrated it by accident, so just kept going, however, it should look some what similair to this.

or, if you take your time and do it perfect, something like this

Now place a LED strip over the open space, and secure it with electrical tape.  As seen in all my ugly skillessness below

If you decide to use 2 LED strips, do the same cutting method on the other side of the plastic, and perform the same task, however, be sure to make the LEDs flush with the plastic and cover it completely with tape for it has to fit below the LCD wires.

Now, tape all remaining holes in the plastic up so that light doesnt escape.  Now, carefully reinstall your plastic piece, and time to solder.
Sorry for the blurry pic and crappy soldering, but, solder each LED strip to the Light bulb terminals...keep in mind, Positive is towards the bottom of the board, or nearest the plug/wires coming out of the bottom.  Negative is nearest the LCD pins.  
I only used one LED, so, only one was soldered

Now, tape the solder job up, and your LCD just pulled a Michael Jackson smile.gif

- Now, the BUTTONS
This part is fairly simple for changing to red, for blue, you must solder LEDs and remove the filter which I will show.

Take all the scres out of the main board on the HVAC controls...pull it gently straight out so not to bend any of the LEDs (these light up when each option is selectred in the corner)

Now, gently take a flat screwdriver, and put on the end of the clear plastic piece behind the buttons, and gently pry...it should open like a door.

Now, gently (so not to break the holders), pull the clear plastic piece away from the hinge towards the top of the button hole, and remove it.
You may gently pry the plastic orange piece away from the clear (NO NEED IF YOU WANT RED), and you will be left with this.

If you want red, no need to remove the above piece as I said, but, find some transparent plastic in your desired color, and place between the clear plastic and the button face, and put it back in.  (Only works with red)

Now...if you want a different color, time to use some laquer thinner and remove that orange paint from the filter...it will come out clear...get some transparent paint and paint it your desired hue...
That along with your different colored LEDs should leave it the desired color.
So, now, reinstall the motherboard gently, and straight on, then, follow that up with your LCD.  And the HVAC controls are in your hue smile.gif
END

Thanks, and hope I was of help.
If you have any further questions or are just wondering more about a step, as I said...PM me so I can add more detail.

strang3milk

EDIT:  I will add the radio separate...didn't know there was a limit on image linking.  rolleyes.gif

Edited by strang3majik, 23 February 2009 - 12:27 AM.

#2 strang3majik

strang3majik

Strang3milk Returns

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,010 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:12 PM

RADIO
Now, for the horrid random green Mitsu radio.  I have yet to do this to mine to see how it looks, however, using a junkyard radio I got, I disassembled to see how.
my radio...all should be similair

First, remove the face of the radio by removing the screws, and pulling straight out after pushing in the tabs.

remove the screws in the board, remove to find light bulbs with what I like to call...Bulb Condoms smile.gif
Get rid of them to rid yourseld of green...or find some way to make the bulbs/bulb condoms a different color

Now...moving on to the CD player...same thing
remove the face

These do not require removing the board...just twist and remove the bulbs, rid the bulb condoms...and, do whatever you did to make them the desired color, and reinstall...and put back together.  

Easy as that...As I said, I haven't yet done this, and am going to wait til I really want to remove the radio to do it...so...its untried, however, I beileve thats all there is to it.
END

smile.gif

#3 eurotiva

eurotiva

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:goin fast, racing, my wife
  • Model:Other

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:14 PM

Nice keep going man.
1990 Ford Festiva BP+T 13.33 @ 104mph....DD with A/C
1990 Festiva BP+50 shot.
1995 exploder (kidmobile)

"rusty cars just keep gettin' lighter"

#4 Coke

Coke

Member Since January 2003

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,630 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:20 PM

Suweet.
Dad's Conquest Parts - Has Just About Anything You May Need!
Starquest.i-x.net - AGAIN, Home of the S.O.S. Manuals

1.)1987 Conquest TSi - Rio Red - Totalled October 23, 2004
2.)1987 Conquest TSi - Rio Red - Sold
3.)1988 Conquest TSi SHP - Rio Red - Crushed due to Extreme Rot
4.)1985 Starion LE - Seychelles Red/Nevada Sand 2 Tone - Crushed due to Extreme Rot
5.)1988 Conquest TSi - Rio Red - Sold
6.)1988 Conquest TSi - Rio Red - Sold
7.)1986 Conquest TSi - Rio Red - Sold
8.)1987 Conquest TSi - Atlantic Blue Metallic - Totalled July 3, 2010
9.)1987 Conquest TSi - Rio Red - Crushed due to Extreme Rot
10.)1988 Conquest TSi - Rio Red - Crushed due to Extreme Rot
11.)1988 Conquest TSi - Serbia Black - Sold
12.)1986 Conquest Base - Seychelles Red Metallic - Sold
13.)1986 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Sarajevo White - Restoring
14.)1988 Conquest TSi - Rio Red - Sold
15.)1988 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Palermo Grey - Sold
16.)1987 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Serbia Black - Crushed due to Extreme Rot

#5 strang3majik

strang3majik

Strang3milk Returns

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,010 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:20 PM

The end result on the HVAC controls, clock, and with the MK1 gauges, should look about like this.

Ill add more as I change more smile.gif

Edited by strang3majik, 22 February 2009 - 11:25 PM.

#6 jolyrgr

jolyrgr

Midwest MacGyver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:32 PM

QUOTE (strang3majik @ Feb 22 2009, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Get a piece of frosted plastic from a file folder and put it between the bulbs and the display to diffuse the bulb pattern and even  out the light to the numbers. You may have to double up to get the right effect.

JR

EDIT: if I remember right from when I did something similar a few years ago, there is a diffuser with the orange tint film.

Edited by jolyrgr, 22 February 2009 - 11:34 PM.

Posted Image

#7 strang3majik

strang3majik

Strang3milk Returns

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,010 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:34 PM

QUOTE (jolyrgr @ Feb 22 2009, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Get a piece of frosted plastic from a file folder and put it between the bulbs and the display to diffuse the bulb pattern and even  out the light to the numbers. You may have to double up to get the right effect.

JR

theres one in it already...but, it does need another.

But, I think if you used 2 strips, and put one facing down and the other up...itd be fine, and brighter.  Though, at night it is plenty bright.

Also...figured Id add...1500 miles with all this stuff and no problems yet
(ie - shorting out, catching fire, blowing fuses, blowing up...lol)

Edited by strang3majik, 22 February 2009 - 11:35 PM.

#8 19cturbo

19cturbo

BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS! BOOST!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,718 posts
  • Interests:cars

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:36 PM

so you can change the color f the buttons by taking the backing out and painting..
Being not real since I learned what was good for me

Convette, on 21 February 2016 - 11:51 AM, said:

The only reason I'm doing it is basically... cause I can.

#9 strang3majik

strang3majik

Strang3milk Returns

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,010 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:39 PM

QUOTE (19cturbo @ Feb 22 2009, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so you can change the color f the buttons by taking the backing out and painting..

yep...its a simple white light bulb behind it...you have to remove the orange first though, and make sure its transparent paint.

#10 19cturbo

19cturbo

BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS! BOOST!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,718 posts
  • Interests:cars

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:08 AM

QUOTE (strang3majik @ Feb 23 2009, 01:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yep...its a simple white light bulb behind it...you have to remove the orange first though, and make sure its transparent paint.

right, just some paint thinner to remove the orange or do you have a preference.
Being not real since I learned what was good for me

Convette, on 21 February 2016 - 11:51 AM, said:

The only reason I'm doing it is basically... cause I can.

#11 strang3majik

strang3majik

Strang3milk Returns

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,010 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:22 AM

QUOTE (19cturbo @ Feb 23 2009, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
right, just some paint thinner to remove the orange or do you have a preference.

that would work well...Im guess.  I chipped it off, but, that was a sucky process, so, yeah...thinner would probably work well.

#12 JustPaus_88TSi

JustPaus_88TSi

This is my forest, and I am not afraid.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,960 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:00 AM

You can also paint the very tips of the LED's white, and it'll also disperse the light evenly.
Posted Image
88TSi-S16G~19x8.5's/19x10.5's~Anti-M-Power~S&M~FIP TBpro2R~E46 projector HID's/Fogs
2001 IS300-GTE swap~T04E 60-1 Garrett hifi~18" Volk CE28N~Tein Comfort Sport coilovers~TurboEast~PFS~Apex-I~Greddy~Blitz
2005 LS430-Staggered 20" Maya/Trafficstar DTS'~14k/12k Extreme Drop BC Coilovers~KYOEI-USA Representin...Bippu Status.

#13 BrazilBoy

BrazilBoy

^ Bird-Dog^

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,884 posts
  • Interests:My sons..............

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:35 AM

The things we men will do for a decent blue job amazes me. But at the end Orange you glad did so....

Looks awesome man..............

Edited by BRAZILBOY, 23 February 2009 - 03:41 AM.

Posted Image
Simon Cowell's cat Disapproves of this Thread and the People in it.......

#14 Austin88ESiR

Austin88ESiR

No sir, I didn't like it.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Motorcycles, Musician (bass and keys)

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:29 AM

Good stuff, man!

Edited by Austin88ESiR, 23 February 2009 - 11:29 AM.

Christian Luis Palacio
Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image

#15 strang3majik

strang3majik

Strang3milk Returns

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,010 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE (BRAZILBOY @ Feb 23 2009, 03:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The things we men will do for a decent blue job amazes me. But at the end Orange you glad did so....

Yes sir! smile.gif

and Austin88...used some of your pics...hope you dont mind...lol

#16 FijiPhil

FijiPhil

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Interests:conquests

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:48 PM

Looks awesome, i need to do this.
88 Red TSi - 84,000 miles
87 Silver ESi-R - 71,000 miles
89 Yellow parts car - hardly anything left

#17 strang3majik

strang3majik

Strang3milk Returns

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,010 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:16 PM

figured Id bump this, since I had a question or two about it.

Going for the full facial now smile.gif , with changing all the orange writing.

#18 DasGunner

DasGunner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts
  • Interests:Reefkeeping...Guns...Cars...

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE (strang3majik @ Apr 21 2009, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
figured Id bump this, since I had a question or two about it.

Going for the full facial now smile.gif , with changing all the orange writing.

Ive found that the orange on the platic buttons pop right off with a pen knife..
Also there is plenty of transparent colored vinyl on Evilbay ,so a led would not be needed..

Also don`t bother popping out the fresh air button the orange has to stay... mad.gif

Edited by DasGunner, 04 May 2009 - 05:23 PM.

[Sully] 8:25 pm: I'm telling you guys.. these cars are meant to turn.... if you want to
go straight, go buy a mustang or something.

#19 strang3majik

strang3majik

Strang3milk Returns

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,010 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE (DasGunner @ May 4 2009, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ive found that the orange on the platic buttons pop right off with a pen knife..
Also there is plenty of transparent colored vinyl on Evilbay ,so a led would not be needed..

Also don`t bother popping out the fresh air button the orange has to stay... mad.gif

you could do that...won't be very bright though.  And...if you were going for red, put a red LED behind the fresh air light, itll glow red. smile.gif

#20 DasGunner

DasGunner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts
  • Interests:Reefkeeping...Guns...Cars...

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE (strang3majik @ May 4 2009, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you could do that...won't be very bright though. And...if you were going for red, put a red LED behind the fresh air light, itll glow red. smile.gif

Ok added Blue LED`s behind the blue transparent vinyl ,looks much brighter in person the cam doesn`t do it justice...

[Sully] 8:25 pm: I'm telling you guys.. these cars are meant to turn.... if you want to
go straight, go buy a mustang or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users