TEP performance cam?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Keoni1113

Keoni1113

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:History and museum work, hiking, firearms restoration and shooting.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 21 February 2018 - 04:03 PM

Tore the head off and found some issues other than a blown head gasket. One of which is the cam had some serious grinding on the lobes so I'm shopping for a new one. I was curious is anyone has the TEP performance cams in their cars and how how they feel about them. Or if they not really worth it unless I replace a whole mess of other stuff as well. Here is the link for it, I'm planning on sticking with hydraulic lifters.
https://www.racetep....er-rockers.html

#2 vanillagorilla

vanillagorilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Keep the turbo spooled!
  • Model:Other

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:13 PM

Dont mean to sound like a complete jerk here but you know SQC has a cam section.  Topic has been covered a bunch.   I believe the general consensus is that the stock camshaft is good unless heavily modded. At that point take a look i think Schneider has a few offerings.  I dont think TimC offers his "Banshee" cam anymore but that was also an option.    I think most would say to avoid the TEP and leave it stock unless heavily modded.

Edited by vanillagorilla, 21 February 2018 - 06:14 PM.

#3 Keoni1113

Keoni1113

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:58 PM

No worries man, I have just never noticed it before and the search didn't yield any results I could use. I did a good read through of the Cam section and now I guess my new question is where I could get a good stock cam for hydraulic lifters. Dad doesn't sell them anymore and it looks like Schneider only mods your existing one (not possible for me on this instance). Also all the ones on ebay are supposedly  made for mechanical lifters. Don't really trust autozone to get me the right one. I emailed TEP to ask about their stock option they offer (more expensive than their performance one for some reason). Are there any other places available?

#4 vanillagorilla

vanillagorilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:34 PM

PM TimC and see if he has any used ones.    I believe he took the stock ones and reground to his specs.   I dont think the TEP ones are bad they just didnt get the numbers people were hoping for.

#5 Keoni1113

Keoni1113

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:26 PM

I emailed them and got a reply back. They supposedly have lots of stock cams for both hydraulic and mechanical lifters for sale, $159, which was about the same price DAD offered.
I didn't find any review here on the capabilities of the TEP cams. So I really don't know the values or what people wanted.
I'm mostly looking at my options as now is the best time to do some engine mods. Supposedly the block was milled .040 over and wondering if I should bite the bullet and strengthen up my 4g54 while I rebuild

#6 louswheel

louswheel

King Kong Status

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,268 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:17 PM

So you are currently doing an engine rebuild?

#7 Keoni1113

Keoni1113

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 09:34 PM

Well, the lobes (specifically one)  on the cam is seriously ground down. So we we are worried where those metal shavings went. We are planning on pulling the oil pan to look for metal shavings, from there we are planning on replacing the rod and main bearings to be on the safe side. Now the decision is to go for forged pistons and other mods while we are at it since  now is the best time. The head is currently at a machine shop having this filled in
Cylinder head https://imgur.com/gallery/4x3BS
Followed by getting it decked.

#8 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,969 posts
  • Interests:400+ WHP 450+ WTQ!!... and curves with green eyes

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:57 PM

What the heck happened to that head!?!?
'86 Starion, MPI with MS2extra, Ebay To4E 57 Trim (in testing), P&P head, OS SS Valves, Wiseco +.030, ARP head/rod, O-Ringed Block, Schneider 284-H, prepped rods,AEM H2O/Meth Injection, Mighty Max CAS 4 Direct Fire Wasted Spark, BSE, Tial 38mm, JDL exhaust mani, HKS turbo timer and EVC3, AEM UEGO, 3" DP into 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust, 75# Delphi's, Magna modded by Chad, Accufab FPR, Walbro 255, D2 Coilovers, Poly Bushings, Funk-Lock, LED Tails and Dome ... etc^4
2016-17 SCCA Solo Glen Region Champion in Street Modified. Going for a 3-peat this year ;)
87 Valencia Gold TSI, The new Project
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

#9 Keoni1113

Keoni1113

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:09 AM

You should see the grinding the cam. Didn't get a pic of it but I'll try to post
Don't know what exactly happened. I assume years of neglect before I got it. Previously owned by my brother and then a ten year gap from the reciepts of work done (my brother also didn't treat cars very nicely, thus me owning it now) . In my quest to get this guy in good shape it's been like peeling an onion with the different issues I've found (I'm sure some happening since I've owned it that I haven't noticed)

#10 louswheel

louswheel

King Kong Status

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,268 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:12 AM

From what you are describing and from that picture, that head is no good. You are better off with a new head.  

#11 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,969 posts
  • Interests:400+ WHP 450+ WTQ!!... and curves with green eyes

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:21 PM

View PostKeoni1113, on 23 February 2018 - 10:09 AM, said:

In my quest to get this guy in good shape it's been like peeling an onion with the different issues I've found (I'm sure some happening since I've owned it that I haven't noticed)

I've been peeling that onion for 20 years and still haven't found the center. Pretty sure it doesn't exist.

I agree on that head though. Not worth the time and money it's going to take to make it right again. If it's even possible to. Spend a couple hundred on a new head and know it's good.
IF you do get it fixed I'm more than curious to see the results ... and the price tag from the shop ;)
'86 Starion, MPI with MS2extra, Ebay To4E 57 Trim (in testing), P&P head, OS SS Valves, Wiseco +.030, ARP head/rod, O-Ringed Block, Schneider 284-H, prepped rods,AEM H2O/Meth Injection, Mighty Max CAS 4 Direct Fire Wasted Spark, BSE, Tial 38mm, JDL exhaust mani, HKS turbo timer and EVC3, AEM UEGO, 3" DP into 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust, 75# Delphi's, Magna modded by Chad, Accufab FPR, Walbro 255, D2 Coilovers, Poly Bushings, Funk-Lock, LED Tails and Dome ... etc^4
2016-17 SCCA Solo Glen Region Champion in Street Modified. Going for a 3-peat this year ;)
87 Valencia Gold TSI, The new Project
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

#12 Keoni1113

Keoni1113

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:29 PM

The guy who is helping me with the car and whose garage it is brought it in for me. They assured him they could get it done along with the be pressure test and decking for 250. He let me know when he brought it over but I didn't get a chance to tell him to hold off any work so I could go to Dad's, and get one of his. We will see if this ends up biting me in the tail or not

Edited by Keoni1113, 23 February 2018 - 10:39 PM.

#13 Keoni1113

Keoni1113

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:41 PM

Huh... Didn't know the forum automatically changes "tail"  to "tail"

#14 vanillagorilla

vanillagorilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:03 PM

2jz swap

#15 Keoni1113

Keoni1113

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:38 AM

I was actually planning on doing a 4g63 swap. I'm  history nerd and felt that if I do a swap it should have the engine it was always meant to have in it. Unfortunately it's been a pain to find one and the timing just isn't right. So I'm going to fix up and reinforce this 4g54 and put that on that project on the back burner for awhile

#16 louswheel

louswheel

King Kong Status

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,268 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 01:13 PM

Best thing you can do for your piece of mind and for the car is do a stock rebuild. Get it running right, get running as it should in stock form. Then after, modify.  

20 years ago I got that advise from the elder members in this forum and me being young dumb and full of it, did it the hard way.  3 blown enginea later, I finally listened. No more blown G54s because I figured out the character of the engine and car is not "fast and the furious". :lol:

For FnF, throw in a 2Jz or LS swap and be done!

#17 Keoni1113

Keoni1113

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:34 PM

Unfortunately this engine has already had a lot done to it. Looks like it was in top end performance at some point in its life already: upgraded fuel pump,  All steel hard pipes, the  pre-cat was deleted and replaced with one of their downpipes, blow-off valve, aluminum Griffin radiator. This was somebody's baby at one point.
Just trying to get it running like how it was before it was neglected at this point

#18 Keoni1113

Keoni1113

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:36 PM

View PostKeoni1113, on 24 February 2018 - 08:34 PM, said:

Unfortunately this engine has already had a lot done to it. Looks like it was in top end performance at some point in its life already: upgraded fuel pump,  All steel hard pipes, the  pre-cat was deleted and replaced with one of their downpipes, blow-off valve, aluminum Griffin radiator. This was somebody's baby once.
Just trying to get it running like how it was before it was neglected for now

#19 mstieg

mstieg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,147 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:02 AM

View Postlouswheel, on 24 February 2018 - 01:13 PM, said:

Best thing you can do for your piece of mind and for the car is do a stock rebuild. Get it running right, get running as it should in stock form. Then after, modify.  

20 years ago I got that advise from the elder members in this forum and me being young dumb and full of it, did it the hard way.  3 blown engines later, I finally listened. No more blown G54s because I figured out the character of the engine and car is not "fast and the furious". :lol:

For FnF, throw in a 2Jz or LS swap and be done!

Nah... you need to go to Harry's and get a Spoon engine, ball bearing turbo, and NOS.  :huh:

Seriously though, a cam is one of the very LAST things to mod, especially in these motors.  It's simply not needed, and more likely to do harm than good.  Stock cam delivers plenty.  

If doing a rebuild, there's nothing wrong with forged pistons, good rings, etc...don't need totally stock, but he implied getting all the systems up to tip top.

Posted Image

And seriously...avoid TEP.  "Top End Prices" for "Totally Effed Parts" :unsure:

Edited by mstieg, 05 March 2018 - 03:03 AM.

Before: 352 rwhp @15psi; MPI: SDS EM5F; Chad intake & equal length header; S256 turbo (56/80comp-64/74ex); 48" of 2.5" IC piping
Now Done:  7.5:1 .35 Wiseco rebuild w/ crank scraper; 274 Magna roller cam & 1.55 rockers; mod port AMC head; 1mm>valves; Innovate WB; GM alt/rewired; 3" 240 alum radiator, elec fans; BMW X5 oil separator exh. crankcase vent; gas tank renewed; D2s; sway/strut bars; LT1 T56 clutch & trans swap w/ Fidanza; 4.22 rear; 265 Kumos on SHP rears; new steering pump/box/lines & coupler fix: http://www.starquest...howtopic=139558; full dash/console rewire - Autometer, push start, etc.
In Progress: breakin & tune
Future: Enjoy driving again; meets & local shows; AC; WG reroute from open vent to exh; Water/Meth?; body/paint

FOR SALE:  Rear Camber plates (basic); NIB beefy U-joints(2); etc.see-->  http://www.starquest...howtopic=133262 Custom 5 gauge overlay panel: http://www.starquest...pic=136703&st=0

#20 louswheel

louswheel

King Kong Status

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,268 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:10 PM

I don't even think TEP exist any more. I drive past their place all the time and it just looks abandoned. Unless they moved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users