362 replies to this topic

#341 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,905 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:17 AM

I only have the wideband, boost, and oil for now.  I would like to add a pyrometer in the future and possibly a water gauge.  

Let me know if your buddy wants to sell any cobalt gauges.  I may be interested.

#342 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,905 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:11 AM

Finished up the door panels last night

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Afterwards I spent a good hour or so cleaning up the garage.  I decided that I'm going to do a tad bit more interior work before I change gears and move to the start up.  I'm going to work on the rear decks and the black carpeted piece that runs across the very back of the trunk.  I don't believe these will take too long and will get a few larger parts off my bench.  Only interior parts remaining are the rear seat with side bolsters and the carpeted pieces in the trunk.  Oh..and the rocker covers.

#343 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,075 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:46 AM

I have been following this forever. your so close it is amazing. such an awesome restoration to see.
Thanks for all your time posting it up.

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP

Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!

Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

#344 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts
  • Interests:80's & 90's turbo charged cars.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:04 PM

No thanks to you I now want manual seatbelts ... lol!  Where did you ever find tan door cards that work with manual seatbelts?  I thought that particular interior was only found on 88/89's.

Looks amazing.

Edited by techboy, 10 May 2018 - 10:46 AM.

1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

#345 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,905 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 04:33 PM

They are dyed.  The door cards were black (from the 86 belts.  The rubber bottom was grey (from the 84 belts). There is a pic of them in their former state a few posts back.     SEM color coat is awesom!

#346 BuGG

BuGG

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts
  • Interests:Starquests forever!

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:57 PM

Making a Auto seatbelt door card into a manual seatbelt door card only needs that hole trimmed as he showed in post #339.  Nothing really different other than that hole.

Edited by BuGG, 09 May 2018 - 11:58 PM.

Posted Image

#347 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:48 AM

View PostBuGG, on 09 May 2018 - 11:57 PM, said:

Making a Auto seatbelt door card into a manual seatbelt door card only needs that hole trimmed as he showed in post #339.  Nothing really different other than that hole.

Ahh ... thanks BuGG, I just had to look back a page!

Posted Image

#348 bluecollar

bluecollar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:42 PM

Looking Fabulous, May I ask which SEM color/shene did you coat your interior pieces with?

#349 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,905 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:07 PM

SEM color coat 15753, light oak.   Per the color chart (yes I actually purchased the color chart), it matched perfectly.   However when sprayed, it is about a shade or two too light.....my only criticism of SEM to date!   But I'll live with it.   I didn't try to order other colors and experiment (at $17 a can!....ok second criticism of SEM lol).  

For the parts that I freshened up with SEM, they were all the same color originally with exception to those seat belt parts and one of the plastic covers that go over the front seat hardware.

For the black parts, I used SEM color coat 15243, satin black.   I consider it an exact match to OEM.

I'm going to experiment a little with their classic coat paints for the back seat.   I'd like to get it reupholstered but I was going to first try the SEM products.  Can't use the color coat products because they aren't designed for leather.

#350 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,905 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:44 AM

Trunk area:

Pulling out all of the carpeted parts of the trunk including a few spares that I had readily available

Posted Image

Posted Image

For the rear decks, I had three sets of these in my garage and chose to go with this set that was taken from an 86 starion (the donor car for most of the sheet metal that I used on this car's restoration).  

I'm using the 89 rear seat belts that have the 3 pt (I have two kids that I plan to ride along with me in this car frequently).  That meant that these decks needed modification...only to find that the decks already had provisions for the 3 pt belts.

Posted Image

Just had to pop out this plastic rectangle and cut the carpet.  I was very surprised to see this on an 86 deck despite our cars not having the shoulder belt provision until 89.  

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The rear decks were in great shape after a steam cleaning.  The 86 decks had these carpeted speaker covers which were in excellent shape but starting to fade blue.   So a quick touch up with SEM color coat satin black.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Had to clean up the rear most carpeted cover a bit.  I picked this one up from StarquestRescue when I got my dash a few months back.  It was in better shape then the others I had despite being the 'dirtiest', but that is easy to amend with a steam cleaner.  

Posted Image

Just had to glue down the end of the rubber trim pieces.  And those plastic rectangles around the hatch latches were broken.  I was able to conjure up two good ones out of my spare parts.

Posted Image

Posted Image

All of the carpeted pieces all vacuumed and steam cleaned:

Posted Image

And installed.

Posted Image

Next up was the back seat.  I had to re-dye the side bolsters for the manual seat belts.  These were taken from an 86.  I sprayed these with the SEM classic coat dye.  The positive was the SEM classic coat matched the SEM color coat (although neither really matched the OEM buckskin correctly).  The negative is that the classic coat took many more applications to change the color.  To the point where I used the entire can just to re-dye these bolsters.  Thus, I decided not to experiment with the rear leather seat.  I simply cleaned it up and tossed it in the car for now.  You can see the difference between the factory buckskin and what I re-dyed with the SEM products here.  I'll get this matched up better when I redo the upholstery this winter.  Still not sure if I will have the rear seat upholstered along with the fronts or just get these dyed to match.  We'll see.  The only reason to reupholster is the upper black leather on the rears is a bit sun beaten.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

All that is left on the interior are the front seats, the steering wheel, and the privacy cover.  I completely forgot about the privacy cover when I was steam cleaning.  Actually, I'm having trouble even locating the privacy cover.  I believe it is buried inside one of my other project cars.   No rush on it though.    The front seats and steering wheel just need cleaned and tossed in for the time being.

#351 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,075 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 25 May 2018 - 08:19 AM

looks amazing!

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP

Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!

Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

#352 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 08:22 AM

Great work Kev.  You're getting so close.  I'm now wishing I spent a lot more time cleaning up my interior before I put it back in.

I am hoping to have my leather reupholstered this winter though ... as long as the money comes together.  That's always the issue. :blink:

Edited by techboy, 25 May 2018 - 08:23 AM.

Posted Image

#353 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,905 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 02:32 PM

It has been a long while since I posted my progress.  This summer didn't go as planned.  I had a major health event in June that resulted in 2 surgeries and 9 weeks of recovery.  I won't go into specifics but lets just say that I'm lucky to be alive.

Despite that news, I have been making forward progress on the car.   I had an electrical gremlin that kept me from getting power to my relay and fuse panel which I resolved after a few hours.  Almost every one of my -AN fuel fittings leaked when I powered up the pump!  They were all torqued to specification, etc.  I have a new found hatred to aluminum -AN fittings, lol.  I probably have 8 hours in resolving fuel leaks from these.  Not one of the ORB fittings leaked, only the ANs.

Then the big problem...I had to tear the entire top of the engine down to amend a coolant leak.  This is result of a decision I made years back after listening to other starquest members.  I've questioned it in the past, including on the build, but not enough I guess.  I don't even want to share the details, it makes me that upset.  Lets just cut to the chase, I tore the top of the engine a part, amended the leak, and reassembled.  

After a few more hours resolving  some other minor problems, I had it ready to fire up.   Upon turn of the key, it just cranked and cranked.  Eventually it back-fired which at least gave me a clue on the issue..timing.  After triple verifying the dissy was stabbed right and clocked according to SDS's requirements, it finally dawned on me.  Here when I pulled the head, I mixed up two of the spark plug wires.  Really dumb mistake but really easy fix.  

Finally turned the key and it immediately fired!  It was the first time I've heard this specific car run in 18 years!   It didn't take long until I had it idling decent.   I let it run for about 10 minutes but the temperature was climbing on the stock gauge.  In my haste, I didn't think to look at the actual engine temperature on the ECU, I just cut it off and let it cool.  I'm using an aftermarket temperature sensor for the gauge, which are prone to being incorrect, and I also found that I was about a quart low on coolant even after sucking out the slop tank.  You all know that these cars don't react well without being 100% full and pressurized of coolant. I actually noticed the slop tank empty before I even cut the key but I didn't want to pour cold coolant in there when it was so hot.  It was best to let it cool down first.  

So, IT RUNS!!!  I pulled it into the garage under its own power!  It goes forward, reverse, turns, and stops which is such a huge milestone.

I have a laundry list of minor problems to diagnose but I'll get there.  Unfortunately due to my health, what I can do and the time I can devote to it are very limited.  I plan to fire it up again this week and hopefully gain confidence in it so that I can reinstall the hood and get it closer to being ready to drive it on the road.  

I'm going to have to pull the fuel tank.  Made the stupid decision years back to gut the evaporative emissions system...again listening to others and not putting a warm mind to it (I'm kicking myself because I'm usually good at that).  I'll be adding a charcoal canister and purge valve to the system for my garage stinks like gas with just the vent running to atmosphere.  I'll also add back in the stock roll over check valve, something of which I should have never pulled as well.   While there, I decided I'm going to drop the muffler and change out the exhaust tip.  I just don't like the 5" round straight cut tip and it's too close to the bumper for my liking.  

Other more minor issues include several blown interior lights, power antenna doesn't work, fogs don't work, etc.   I'll get to those eventually.  Looked into the fogs for a bit.  Verified its relay was still in the car and not one of the ones I pulled, its dedicated fuse was SAT, etc. but haven't yet put a voltmeter to start troubleshooting.  

Well I thought I'd give a quick update.   Sorry no pictures yet.  I'll get there.  

Kevin

#354 NotStock88

NotStock88

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,511 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 03:37 PM

I love reading the updates and seeing the pictures. I hope your health improves and your able to make some more progress.
NOOB

#355 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical

Posted 27 August 2018 - 07:26 PM

Although we never had direct conversation.
I have been following your restoration and such. You are a man w good attention to detail. Love your car man! Wish you good health and many more years of restoration of starquests.

#356 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 08:04 PM

KEV!!! This is SO exciting to read.  Every part but whatever is going on with your health.  Glad you're still with us and continuing to make progress on your car.  It's funny, I was just thinking about your car the other day while I was mowing and wondering where you were at with it.  I know you have a ton of extra parts, but if there's anything you need to get things sure'd up and running well - hit me up!

Posted Image

#357 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 08:17 PM

Great news.   But now I'm worried about my AN fuel fittings leaking when I'm ready to start my MPI car.   I ordered all PTFE Summit fuel fittings and PTFE braided fuel line, so I'm curious to see if they leak....

What did you do to fix the leaking AN fittings?

Either way, I know it's exciting to hear it idle for the first time in forever.

Edited by Preludedude, 28 August 2018 - 07:25 AM.

#358 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts
  • Interests:Family, Strength Sports, Starquests, and Brewing Belgian Ale.

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:47 PM

Keep up the great work, and take care of your health! You need to put 100K miles on that work of art.
Canterbury, CT
1989 Chrysler Conquest TSi (Project Race Car) Build thread http://www.starquest...opic=147910&hl=
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (Daily Driver)
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 8.1  To tow the two hay burners
1998 BMW 528i 5 Speed because the Suburban gets 10 MPG

Second place is S*** place , eh.  - Stéphane Peterhansel

#359 Bradrock

Bradrock

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • Interests:Guns, metal working, guns, wrenching, guns,wood working, Gold mining, guns & cool cars.

Posted 28 August 2018 - 12:07 AM

Get well Kevin. Slow and easy wins the race.

Edited by Bradrock, 28 August 2018 - 09:19 AM.

Run's with scizzor's

#360 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,905 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:03 AM

Thanks guys!  My health is sorta improving.  I felt pretty good the last few weeks prior to my return to work, now it resorted to how it felt a month or so ago.  Not sure why; I have a damn desk job, it isn't like I drive in fence-posts for a living.  

As to the AN fittings:  I used mainly Red Horse anodized aluminum fittings with Aeroquip socketless hose.  There are a few Aeroquip AN fittings on there too.    To amend the leaks, it took several times of loosening the joint and tightening it back.  It never worked by just tightening it further.  Always had to remove the preload first which of course meant gas pour down all over the place.    I eventually got them all to stop leaking without having to need any new parts.  It just was frustrating.  I'd redo one joint that was leaking like mad, then move on to another only to find the previous one still had a very small leak.  The two that really kicked my butt were the ones on the Fuelab fuel filter.  Both sides had 90 degree fittings so I had to control orientation and torque all in a location within the engine compartment that wasn't conducive to wrenches.  

I have used PTFE hoses in the past with steel AN fittings.  I never had a problem with those.  In fact, I have them on my oil cooler lines and had no issues.

Kevin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users