32 replies to this topic

#21 Blackmount

Blackmount

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:47 PM

View PostPreludedude, on 17 March 2017 - 11:49 AM, said:

I wasnt sure if anything over a 275 would fit...I work for Michelin, so I had to get BF Goodrich/Michelin tires so I could get my discount. And they dont offer tires over 275 (not in a summer street tire)...

Yeah, I had that problem.... I wish I could get Michelin Pilot Super Sports in a 315/35/17

For future info if you feel like going wider on your next set.

Mickey Thompson Street Comps are a really good street tire that are intended for handling and driveability as oppose to straight line grip.. I got really good mileage out of them. No problems in rain, and even saw some snow a few times. Moderately priced at like $180 a tire

If you have alot of money burning a hole in your pocket you can't go wrong with the Eagle F1 GT's, They check all the right boxes for a summer street tire...but they are like $330 a tire.

The Sumitomo HTZR's aren't bad considering they are the cheapest option in that size at $140 ea.

Edited by Blackmount, 17 March 2017 - 01:47 PM.

#22 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,719 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:24 PM

Those should look great with the right stance. Nic choice in tires too, I got BFGoodrich sport comps too. ;)
88 Fiji Blue -Tsi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

#23 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:03 PM

I got the wheels mounted. I am using a 1" bolt on spacer in the rear, and the stock studs were trimmed down a little...

The front will need a spacer, because the wheel is barely touching the strut tube...

I measured and ordered some 12mm spacers on EBAY. I used some washers, and it looked pretty good at 12mm...

Only curious now, if I will need to put on some longer studs to make up for the spacers....???

#24 Blackmount

Blackmount

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:15 PM

at 12MM I would put longer studs on. It might have just been a better idea to go with 15mm spacers that bolt onto your hub and have their own studs... I know good ones can be pricey though.

Very Anxious to see how it looks though.

Edited by Blackmount, 21 March 2017 - 02:15 PM.

#25 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:25 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#26 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:25 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#27 Fuze

Fuze

AKA @Battlemagnet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts
  • Interests:Chess Boxing
  • Model:Starion

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:26 PM

View PostBlackmount, on 17 March 2017 - 01:47 PM, said:

Mickey Thompson Street Comps are a really good street tire that are intended for handling and driveability as oppose to straight line grip.. I got really good mileage out of them. No problems in rain, and even saw some snow a few times. Moderately priced at like $180 a tire

If you have alot of money burning a hole in your pocket you can't go wrong with the Eagle F1 GT's, They check all the right boxes for a summer street tire...but they are like $330 a tire.

The Sumitomo HTZR's aren't bad considering they are the cheapest option in that size at $140 ea.

Yeah limited options in that size for sure. I had the Eagle F1 GT's on my Vette, they dried out pretty fast and the car was super easy to slide around after a year. A lot of Camaro guys run the Sumitomo's. Will have to check out the M/T's for my Starion once these discontinued Continentals wear out.

Insta = @battlemagnet

Posted Image

#28 EricSQ

EricSQ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:30 PM

My front wheel studs are about 9mm longer than my rear studs are.  You might check your wheel studs to see if yours are the same way.  If so, I'd say bolt those wheels on with your spacer and drive it.

Edited by EricSQ, 21 March 2017 - 02:31 PM.

Posted Image
1988 Chrysler Conquest Tsi (sold)____1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL (sold)
1987 Mitsubishi Starion (sold)_______ 1986 Mitsubishi Starion LS Swap (sold)
2015 Subaru WRX (sold)___________ 2002 Chevy Silverado Z71 (For Sale)
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo (project)____  2000 Chevy Silverado Shortwide (DD)

#29 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:34 PM

View PostBlackmount, on 21 March 2017 - 02:15 PM, said:

at 12MM I would put longer studs on. It might have just been a better idea to go with 15mm spacers that bolt onto your hub and have their own studs... I know good ones can be pricey though.

Very Anxious to see how it looks though.

With a bolt on 15mm, Id have to trim the stock studs down very short, and then basically use a bolt that was shallow enough so the rim would sit flush against the spacer....I also wouldnt be able to put my stock wheels back on without the spacer....The stock stud would be cut very short....

I guess these would work with the Saleen wheels, but not if I ever wanted to go back to stock:

Posted Image

Edited by Preludedude, 21 March 2017 - 02:36 PM.

#30 Blackmount

Blackmount

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:37 PM

I have 15mm on my 3000GT VR4, I did not have to trim my studs.. I cannot comment on the stock lug length, but alot of wheels have holes in the back of the hub that are the same spacing as the bolt pattern. I believe this is done for weight savings, but most wheels they are deep enough to let your stock studs poke through... I used the supplied nuts with the spacer to bolt it to the hub and it worked out great.

Different wheels, different car, but I was hoping that might help.

Also if you do end up going that route. Make sure the nuts the spacers come with are Acorn shaped so that they will center the spacer to the hub correctly.

Also your car looks SUPER clean with those wheels. Looks fairly Period-Correct too.

#31 GSRVR

GSRVR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:24 PM

Killer choice! They are sitting perfect.
|1988 RHD Mitsubishi Starion GSR-VR|

#32 Fuze

Fuze

AKA @Battlemagnet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts
  • Interests:Chess Boxing

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:08 AM

With a 15mm it depends on how deep the recesses between the holes in your rims are. Stock rims will just barely hit the studs. Best practice is to cut the studs down to avoid an unsafe situation where the rim is sitting on top of the studs when tightened. Most of those spacers come with low profile nuts that sit flush with the face of the spacer. Studs are easy to swap out so it's not a big deal if you change it back later.

Insta = @battlemagnet

Posted Image

#33 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:16 PM

Pictures posted of these wheels outside the garage today....Finally....

I posted them here:

http://www.starquest...howtopic=152437

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users