RUNNING A 1G MAS ON A 86 ECU!

GREENSTAR

Ok guys, I don't want to post this like it was a simple job. -It took a lot of work to figure it all out but now I know what to do it should be easy for all of you 86 guys to get this to work. -Keep in mind the only way this would really benifit the 86 guys is if you have some mods and you are running a Fuel Cut Defencer. -I will list my mods just so you can get an idea:

Clevit bearings, race prepped rods, JE's 8:1, balanced rotating assembly, total seal rings(stock head)

Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch(Verdict still out on this one)He He

BSE Kit

Roller Rockers

HKS Fuel Cut defencer

3 inch exhaust/no cats/dyno max muffler

Full hardpipe kit with moded IC/Turbo XS RFL BOV

Upgraded fuel pump

Hallman MBC

18G/TD06 Forced Performance Turbo

MSD Blaster II coil

NGK plugs and wires

I think I got everything! -Here is the wiring for it:

86 AFS - - - - - - - - - - - - DSM AFS

grn/red - - - - - - - - - - - - grn/orng

red - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - grn/red

blk - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - grn/blk

wht/blk - - - - - - - - - - - - grn/blu

N/C - - - - - - - - - - - - - - grn yel

New +12 Volt switched- -Large Red

N/C - - - - - - - - - - - - - - grn/wht

N/C means you will not hook these up

**** -I would not even try hooking this up without an A/F guage. -You need to be able to monitor your readings while you are doing the process.

Now the way I actually got it to idle and accelerate properly is by giving it more or less air. -You might have to play with this a little by covering the metered side or the unmetered side. -Sounds ghetto but this is how it worked for me. -I actually ended up covering maybe a 1/4 to a 1/3 of the unmetered side to get my proper A/F reading. -My gauge bounces back and forth durning idle and under WOT I am seeing about 2 bars into the rich. - I covered the unmetered side with heavy duty duct tape. -Like I said, it sounds ghetto but man, what a difference in performanc. -Like I said, you might have to play with the metered or unmetered side to get it perfect but it works and I swear by it. -Any questions shoot me a pm or and email. -Happy Boosting! -Steve

Well I am still trying to get the green injector to work.  I am going to have to tweak with the MAS a little more.  I popped the green secondary in and it was fine at idle but seemed to overload under WOT. So I am going to try and open up the metered side.  I will keep you posted!  Steve

• 3 weeks later...

when the 86 mas is unplugged.the car runs better.

so when u hogg the un metered side of the mas and add a green

sec.injector.imagine how good it runs.

ive had a 1g and a 89 mas hooked to my 86.

i like the modded stock mas.

under 14psi of boost the a/f guage is buried in the rich.

i gotta get bigger turbo.

Well I can run w/out the MAS, however, there is a stumble on initial take off and let's say you were just cruising on the freeway and want to just mash it and take off, with the MAS not hooked up you can't do that.  The car falls on it's face.  Now if you ease into the throttle it is fine.  I just did not like those couple of flaws with it.  As far as running a hacked stock MAS, I have heard good things and bad things about them.  I have been told from numerous members that it has worked for them and some say that it totally killed the MAS after being hacked.  I know G54Bstore has been succesfull with hacking the stock mas and running the secondary 88/89 injector.  But then again you don't want to run toooooo rich.  You will end up rebuilding your block in no time.  Hey G54B store, have you checked your oil lately to see if it is strong with gas fumes?  How rich are you running under WOT with the secondary?  I still want to try and run the secondary also.  I am working on an oil leak right now but after that it will be back to testing and tunning.  Trying to get ready by the 26th.  That is the next races!  Steve

i always get that question.

no i have been running a sec injector for a year or so.

oil is fine.im running perfectly fine under every driving condition,

its just under full throttle the a/f guage climbs to the  more rich.

and my buddy say when im at full throttle and hes behind me getting

smoked in a honda,he smells gas.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Guest surferdude
No need to hack the connector - you only need 4 of the 1g wires and run a switchable 12v source wire to the + side of the coil or tap into the 02 sensor.  Another option is to run a standard 30 amp 4 way relay and tap into it.

Sorry guys, I have been in and out of the scene since I sold my greenstar but I still hopp on as much as I can.  I am glad to see people are still interested in the 1G on the 86.  I can tell you that it surely made a big difference on my old 86.  I was running 20 + PSI and it ran beautiful for me.  I still am around guys if you need any help with this.  Shoot me an email.  Steve

• 4 months later...

Alright, I'm finally going to be able to do this CORRECTLY  ;D

I just wanted to ask to make sure on a few things.

With the HKS FCD, do I totally cut the A9 wire from the ecu and connect to FCD or do I tap into it?

Now I'm going to be running a 12A modified with a 16g wheel at the VERY most 15psi but rarely, actually I prolly won't even run that for a while( gotta get a clutch

;D)

Greenstar, you covered about a 1/3 to 1/4 of the unmetered side with a 18g and stock injectors?  So should I try to cover around half of it with my turbo?  I have stock injectors also.

I'm also assuming that I need some type of boost controller to tame the beast or it's gonna boost to the junkyard ;)

Thanks in advance for any input.

Thats a sob to get working. Hope you have a wideband, I didn't have great success with it, but i managed to make it run about as good as my stock mas.

You really need to play around with it to get it right for your car.

• 2 months later...

i tried this and there was fuel cut....still!

i also ran a 88 mas for a while but fuel cut was always there.

has any1 done this and eliminated fuelcut?

Guest surferdude

I'm still running my stock 86 MAS.  I'm not, at this point, going to hack up my car to install a 1g MAS that might not work well.  Seems more of us are not having good results with this swap vs. just staying with the quirky 86 setup.  

Gotta love having two 850 cc injectors stock, though!!!   ;D