1988 Conquest: 5.3-T56

R-R-Quest

Are you modifying the firewall at all, like Convette? If not, I'd be in for a set of motor mounts if you would be willing to make a second set.

Yes, I'm moving the firewall back 4-5 inches; not sure how far yet 'til I get the transmission and set them in.

Convette fabricated his motor mounts. The motor mounts that we are using are from Speedway Motors and are for LS conversions. Part Number: 7204501 http://www.speedwaymotors.com/LS1-LS6-Chevy-Weld-In-Motor-Mounts,7631.html

• 4 weeks later...

Well, We're dropping the T56 plan and going with a 4L60.

As much as I was initially looking forward to a T56, we can't wait too much longer and run out of time. Had I known it was going to take this long to find an affordable one, I would have started with the 4L60 plan from the get-go. T56's are just too hard to find and when you do find one, they are too expensive. Not only expensive, but unknown quality/abuse. Just can't take that risk at this point. We can get a freshly rebuilt 4L60 with upgraded internals, torque converter, then add a shifter, and TV cable all for about $1200. A T56 of known quality will be in the neighborhood of triple the 4L60 setup when adding the bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, shifter, hydrolic system, etc.

Trying to get her on the road by the end of July, and we have a lot to do still. We need at least a month before my son and I head to LS fest in early September to make sure everything is in order. And then out to TSQ14 at the end of October.

Anyhow. Look for some updates in the near future.

• 3 weeks later...

I need to update this thread soon. Been busy with a lot of little things; Cleaning brake lines, Finishing up the hood modification, Bead-blasting parts that will fit in the blaster cabinet. We also picked up the 4l60 yesterday so we will be making our first test fit, cutting, welding this weekend.

The plan is to complete all the fabrication and about 90% assembly, take it apart, paint, then final assembly... by the end of July! lol

• 2 weeks later...
Well, the truck pan is a no-go; way too deep. I'm using the Holley LS pan which is a rear sump. I'm switching to a rack & pinion steering setup that eliminates the the factory steering linkage, so the rear sump pan is perfect.

http://www.amazon.com/Holley-302-1-Retro-Fit-Engine/dp/B004TB3NPK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401986144&sr=8-1&keywords=holley+ls+oil+pan

This is the one I went with. It can be found just about anywhere on the net. I got mine on sale at amazon for $279. There is one on there now at $361.79; more than I paid, but still less than most sites. Be sure to get the 302-1 not the other variants. The other ones do not have as much clearance for the crossmember, other than that, they are the same.

So you'll be going with a front street system then?

Front steer? Yes.

Don't have all the details worked out yet as to which R&P setup I'll end up using. Kinda' put that on hold until I get the engine and transmisison mounted.

http://www.amazon.com/Holley-302-1-Retro-Fit-Engine/dp/B004TB3NPK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401986144&sr=8-1&keywords=holley+ls+oil+pan

This is the one I went with. It can be found just about anywhere on the net. I got mine on sale at amazon for $279. There is one on there now at $361.79; more than I paid, but still less than most sites. Be sure to get the 302-1 not the other variants. The other ones do not have as much clearance for the crossmember, other than that, they are the same.

You'll be happy with that pan that's the same one I used. For some odd reason though when I got mine I had to retap the oil drain plug threads because it came threaded to a size that you can only find drain plugs for online. The drain plug it came with is about 3 sizes to small lol. The drain plug it came with is factory size like m12 or m14 and the thread in the pan was like m18 (not sure if those are the actual sizes but you get the idea). Local parts stores have m20 so I just re tapped it to that and good to go. Hopefully you don't run into this same issue but if you do now you k ow what I did.

Front steer? Yes.

Don't have all the details worked out yet as to which R&P setup I'll end up using. Kinda' put that on hold until I get the engine and transmisison mounted.

Stock the starion has a rear steer system meaning it's behind the the axle. Since I pushed the motor back so far I had to go with a front steer system from a mustang gt. It was the only way to clear everything.

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up a LS T56 for $700 and bought a new bellhousing for $200... deals are out there! Also bought a LT1 T56 for $600, both off Craigslist. Both in great shape internally.

Really interested in this build, I plan to eventually build a cammed L33/T56 Conquest with ITB's. Got to finish my C10 project and find the right car to build.