Need some input on a front splitter I'm going to bring to market.

Burton

This splitter design is mounted solely to the airdam, which transfers all the force it receives to the air dam. It will also reduce the flexibility, transferring more stress to the mounting points.

-Robert

I still disagree... I have ran SQs with and without splitters and have found the splitter seemed to help protect the airdam even tho the splitter was huge and prone to scrape things. Period.

Think about it, would you want the impact of a 2" rock hitting a direct spot on the airdam, or do you want the impact from that 2" rock absorbed across 33" and back 2 or 3 inches of ABS and distributed over 4 mounting locations?

I use to run a mini motorcycle shop and the majority of our business was online. midsouthminimoto.com. I've since sold the company but when I was running it. I came to the realization that You can't make everyone happy. Doesn't matter how hard you try. So I learned to just let stuff roll off my back and concentrate on the customers I was helping. The majority of my stress came in the racing circuit when I started Our own racing association. Didn't matter how fair I made the rules. the people that wanted to try to bend them were the ones that complained. There will always be competition.( I personally bought all my competition out as there wasn't a huge market for Italian made minimotos in the USA to begin with)

And the winner is the one who can provide a quality product at an affordable price.

Its basic engineering, you're strengthening one area without triangulation or boxing in the structure. That is going to transfer more stress to the unstrenghtened areas, the mounting points. Similar to an incomplete roll cage.

-Robert

I still disagree... I have ran SQs with and without splitters and have found the splitter seemed to help protect the airdam even tho the splitter was huge and prone to scrape things. Period.

Think about it, would you want the impact of a 2" rock hitting a direct spot on the airdam, or do you want the impact from that 2" rock absorbed across 33" and back 2 or 3 inches of ABS and distributed over 4 mounting locations?

+1

I see what Robert is saying. Sure little scrapes will not harm the airdam cosmetically, but if you happen to hit a median or something, the airdam has more tension throughout those 4 mounting spots. Which will be the only outlet of stress for the splitter since it cant flex. That being said, those 4 high stress spots will be more prone to breaking, and somewhat more likely.

if you scrape the airdam directly, it'll just give way for flex and stress relief. The stabilizer bars should help with that issue but doesn't solve it entirely.

....I'm still in :)

It will make it more prone to scraping/damage, it sticks out further and decreases your angle of approach.

-Robert

True.A lot of the members who have their cars lowered might buy one of these. So, what it going to happen if they install a splitter on the bottom of the Air dam.... just for looks. Maybe Burton will start making 88/89 Air dams, and offer a 25% discount on them to members who have lowered cars that install his Splitter? I can see it now....The first time members who installed it with a lowered car and try to go up a steep driveway, hit a pothole, drive over a dip in the road, drive over a speed bump or pull up too fast to a curb stop, will have to replace the entire Air dam at a price of $300.00. Why? Because the splitter is bolted directly to the Air dam, sticks out farther and will tear the hell out of the Air dam. But, it sure looked good prior to doing this :huh:

I don't "hate" Burton or his splitter even though he called me and other members "haters" that posted a differing view about his offering.Everything has it's proper place. Cars that have a splitter installed on them are lowered and race around a flat race track at high speeds with the Splitter installed within 1 or 2 inches of the ground: (NASCAR,ALMS and Grand Am cars for example).Why would you want to install a splitter on a stock height Starquest? Or for that matter a lowered one??? I just don't think it is practical or astatically reasonable for street use on our cars. Just for looks :huh: Maybe a hood decal of President Obama would be better(Burton said he would do it if the demand was there), since it would not destroy the Air dam :lol: Burton, When you posted that you would create anything for money to sell your products to the membership on Starquestclub.com or anywhere else...That is where members and guests on this site that are reading your posts, (some with years of knowledge about Starquests), lost their creditably in you ;)

"You can fool some of the people some of the time. But you can't fool all of the people all of the time"

To the membership: Over the past ten years of being a member on Starquestclub.com, I have tried to stay out of things like this. But, when I feel that a new product offered by a company or a member on this site does nothing more than to take your money. I will speak up.

I am not a cold hearted SOB. Just ask all of the members who attended Mesquite 2011.Never lied to them, and I am not lieing now.

Just mine, and others opinion about this offering,

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

True.A lot of the members who have their cars lowered might buy one of these. So, what it going to happen if they install a splitter on the bottom of the Air dam.... just for looks. Maybe Burton will start making 88/89 Air dams, and offer a 25% discount on them to members who have lowered cars that install his Splitter? I can see it now....The first time members who installed it with a lowered car and try to go up a steep driveway, hit a pothole, drive over a dip in the road, drive over a speed bump or pull up too fast to a curb stop, will have to replace the entire Air dam at a price of $300.00. Why? Because the splitter is bolted directly to the Air dam, sticks out farther and will tear the hell out of the Air dam. But, it sure looked good prior to doing this

Funny, when I had a splitter I hit a steep driveway, hit a pothole, drove over dips in the road, drove over speed bumps or pulled up too fast to a curb stop, and while the splitter got scaped up a little, the airdam remained damage free. Maybe I was just lucky tho. Look, if you hit anything hard, splitter or not, you're going to ruin your airdam. If you bump a parking curb or a road dip at 30 MPH, there isn't a splitter or anything else that will save your airdam. If you do the same thing at 5-10 MPH, you might damage the airdam without a splitter, but with a splitter your airdam will be protected better.

I don't "hate" Burton or his splitter even though he called me and other members "haters" that posted a differing view about his offering.

Would you say you "like" or "hate" the look of the splitter. From what you said here and in previous posts it sounds to me like you hate it, and therefore, you would be a hater.

Everything has it's proper place. Cars that have a splitter installed on them are lowered and race around a flat race track at high speeds with the Splitter installed within 1 or 2 inches of the ground: (NASCAR,ALMS and Grand Am cars for example).Why would you want to install a splitter on a stock height Starquest? Or for that matter a lowered one??? I just don't think it is practical or astatically reasonable for street use on our cars. Just for looks

And looks are the main reason I'm offering these, I've said that many times. Look at all the other imports with big rear spoilers, ground effects kits, and all the other bolt on stuff that originated for race car performance, but now get used more for a certain look, not performance. People want their cars to look more aggressive or different from everyone elses car. I never claimed these added performance , and have only listed my experience with when I've had them on my own cars. I have been truthful and open about this whole process, and am only trying to help provide quality parts that some members deffinately want- otherwise they wouldn't sell. People in this community complain there aren't enough vendors or aftermarket parts for these cars, so I'm just trying to fill that void.

When you posted that you would create anything for money to sell your products to the membership on Starquestclub.com or anywhere else...That is where members and guests on this site that are reading your posts, (some with years of knowledge about Starquests), lost their creditably in you

This sort of negativity is what has driven away other possible vendors in the past who didn't care about the cars, only the profit. While I do love to make a profit, I don't make much doing parts for these cars. It equates to about $15/hr for my time, which is $5 less an hour than my normal shop rate. I could be out painting show cars and making more money but I care about these cars and the community, and that's why I stay and continue to try to come up with quality products people want at a price a majority of the community can afford. If that takes away my credibility, then so be it. I offer parts for other types of cars and have yet to hear a single negative thing from them. If y'all don't want my offerings, I'm more than happy to concentrate my time making parts for those cars, and probably be able to make more money too.

"You can fool some of the people some of the time. But you can't fool all of the people all of the time"

If anyone other than Bill thinks I am, or ever have been trying to "fool" anyone, plese speak up now. I consider myself an upstanding, truthful and fair vendor. If any of y'all other than Bill think otherwise, please speak up now.

To the membership: Over the past ten years of being a member on Starquestclub.com, I have tried to stay out of things like this. But, when I feel that a new product offered by a company or a member on this site does nothing more than to take your money. I will speak up.

Anyone else feel like I'm just here to take your money? Again, let me know. I'll be happy to take my products elsewhere. I'm here to provide quality parts for a fair price to help me make a living. In fact, many of my products are similar to other products available, because the other products were way more expensive than I think they should have been and I could offer something similar for less. I am here to try and help people out, not rip them off.

I am not a cold hearted SOB. Just ask all of the members who attended Mesquite 2011.Never lied to them, and I am not lieing now.

Just mine, and others opinion about this offering,

Bill

Personally, I think you are a cold-hearted SOB, well, at least a SOB. You and I have always had our run ins, and I kinda hoped when we saw you come back to the sites you were banned from with your new "kinder, gentler" Cal, that you would be a changed man. I didn't hold my breath, and I'm glad because you obviously can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Aside from all the BS....

The materials are here and I have started cutting some, but I got a chance opprotunity this week that I had to jump on. I got a call to collaborate on the paint/body on a Hot Rod Power Tour car that a friend has a tight deadline on. That has added about 7 hours a day on top of my part-time RV gig and my internet sales, so I didn't get to work on them much at all this week. I do have the whole weekend open tho, so I will be finishing them then and should have pics up by the end of the weekend.

Not sure if I will carry this on much tho now. I will at least make the flatty splitter and 2 88/89 splitters I'm commited to, but from there, I'm not sure. Frankly, Cal's comments totally killed my motivation on this product, so I may just not bother after that.

I love the things you offer and although have not bought anything from you yet I am looking forward to getting a good bit of products from you! Haters are gonna hate. I dont get why so many people on this forum attack vendors. Hell even in this thread an attack was thrown motocams way. There will be a time when there are no vendors for our cars and we have ourselves to blame if we keep attacking the few people who actually give a rats behind about our cars.

I dont get why so many people on this forum attack vendors.

Because everyone on this forum is so damn opinionated and stubborn. So if it's not the way each person imagined it would be, then it's wrong

Edited by leesfer

it's time for a few of the hatters in this group to grow up ,, i made this thread visable again to make a point .

it's time we stop'd bending over for any one that don't like this or that , the minority don't rule the majority does ,

if you read some thing that ofends you you have a choice , don't read or state your displeasure, but this makeing threads go away simply because one person is ofend'd needs to stop ,, time to understand the world don't revolve arround one person ,,now i'm not saying any thing about or towards any one person but to every one as a group ,,grow up

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

it's time for a few of the hatters in this group to grow up ,, i made this thread visable again to make a point .

it's time we stop'd bending over for any one that don't like this or that , the minority don't rule the majority does ,

if you read some thing that ofends you you have a choice , don't read or state your displeasure, but this makeing threads go away simply because one person is ofend'd needs to stop ,, time to understand the world don't revolve arround one person ,,now i'm not saying any thing about or towards any one person but to every one as a group ,,grow up

Its unfortunate but, this is the way the world works today. One person doesn't like something and everybody else has to suffer because of him/her. That's BS... Majority Rules... That's why we are in the mess we are now in this Country. I dont follow much football but the guy who switched his son did nothing wrong IMO. He was disiplining his son. Something that a lot of parents do not do these days.

And yes one for the Flatty's would be cool too!!!