How much tunnel work to fit a T-56 in a manual ?

AustinTSI

that pic is before the tunnel work was done. you can see it just needs to move over to the pass side a little (1/2" - 3/4") to allow it room to move up several inches.

here is after: ;)

http://www.nwstarque...om/Dcp00728.jpg

It's being held up by the motor only in this pic, no cross member, this happens because the custom intake I use only has a 1/4" clearance from the brake booster. with the transmission weight pulling on it, the motor rocks back till the intake hits the booster, then stops. with the cross member in there raising the motor back up, the transmission goes up another 1/4" - 3/8".

I sold one to Frank (extremedouche) that I think was then sold to someone else, unknown if it's been installed. One went to Ivan (Questis) which is on his 569 HP yellow quest, a guy in Medford or who I haven't seen on here in a few years but daily drove this kit for years (told me over 20,000 miles), two went to a member in the SF bay area that ultimatly sold the car/parts to *DM I believe, I don't thik either was installed though. I think one is in Florida on a runign car, but not sure if it's my kit or one he had made.

I know for certain of 3 installed/runing, but suspect 5 are actually in use.

PM Sent Matt :)

Replied & thank you. I'll try not to hound you too much Chad. Aside from tunnel work & custom driveshaft, it's pretty much plug n play from what it seems. It's going w/ an OEM stock clutch or possibly one of the ebay kits (same as stock but painted and slight mods/better disks). Darn TO bearing alone is over $130 + a new disk = more than the whole cheap clutch kit. I have a stock Valero resurfaced but the disk isn't great.

I plan to just get a mechanical Autometer Speedo to mate up w/ the trans to avoid an equally expensive (or more) translator or work done to the trans to mate w/ stock gauge.

Any other of those trans sensors plugs needed/useful besides reverse light? I have one spot left in the 3 hole radio console plate for another gauge if practical.

yah, on the shaft you measure the distance from the output shaft face in the transmission to the centerline of the new pinion adapter I send once mounted to the differential and any competant driveshaft shop can make one. Since it's all standard domestic parts, they are cheap to build, though i got a really nice one myself, indestructable really. the guy I used to get it it, said he uses the exact same model on his 6 second mustang with 2000 HP. Obviously a different length, but the same parts. you won't ever be able to say that about mitsu driveshafts LOL.

is the trans you have mechanical? most are electronic, though mechanicals do exist. you can also convert the tail housing to mechanical on pretty much any T56 model.

Tremec recently came out wtih a new aftermarket T56 that has mechanical as a stock feature, I'll likely upgrade to that one.

with all the autometer electronic gauges you have to calibrate it so the signal doesnt matter. you just tell it your starting the calibration, drive exactly 2 miles, then tell it your done calibrating and it knows the number of pulses it saw/2 miles is your pulses per mile for your transmission. With the t-56 I have its 7 pulses per driveshaft revolution.

just a reminder my t-56 is hooked up to a 4g63 not a g54b

Thanks guys. I've looked into this a bit more since my first post on speedos & like the Autometer #3988 0-160mph - an analog gauge face (preferred) w/ electrical hookup (required). Other option is to keep stock and modify the trans to mech. More than half the gauges are aftermarket anyhow. Might as well go clean eventually.

Thanks for the info on the pulse count. It should be the the same 7 pulses on a SQ regardless on engine however modified rear differential gearing will change that. I'll prob. have to change my rear diff for the T56 anyhow, but good to know about the calibration. ;)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

To those who have successfully completed a T56 conversion: I truely honor you and I hope to do the same. Someday...

Same here! I still need the kit to finish this! Engine going back in soon. If any of you have his kit, please contact me! Any info, measurements, pics, etc. would save me a LOT of $$$ in fabrication costs to have this completed.

Edited by mstieg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Bump? I take it you never got the tranny installed

Yes, it's in and ready to rock & roll. Bumped this thread to go with the other T56 thread that had some info in need of clarifying.

I'll be able to verify the swap on the road once on the road w/ miles logged. Likely within the week. :D

• Like 1