Gullwing Door project pictures through out.

pagemo

• 4 weeks later...
Nice workmanship,looks superb!

No new pictures yet but the roof is done and the sills are alsmost complete. I need to finish the doors, just been busy lately with work and kind of lazy on days when I could have been working on it. I am headed back to china for the next 3 weeks so it will be awhile before there is any more progress.

Thanks for the compliments!

• 2 weeks later...

Well i have to say i'm a little pissed off, 2 reasons!!!!

1. I was trying my best to be the first to build a gullwing starion

2. the only reason i never started is cuz i moved and i have no room or time to start the project, so its on hold now.

Its ok though i'm happy someone else decided to do this project, there is one thing he didn't do that i was also going to do and that was at the same time i was going to make it a awd gullwing, yeah u heard me!!!!!

My plan:

Get a 1990 gsx and use the 4g63 and front suspension, only problem is the engine is transverse which i guess i will get over.

mate the front to back by custom drive shaft ( easy part since its already rwd) only problem i see here is the ratio of front trans and rear diff.

hopefully i'll find a place and start the project, cuz i already found the roller.

Edited by hondaiceman

2. the only reason i never started is cuz i moved and i have no room or time to startthe project, so its on hold now.

Its ok though i'm happy someone else decided to do this project, there is one thing he didn't do that i was also going to do and that was at the same time i was going to make it a awd gullwing, yeah u heard me!!!!!

My plan:

Get a 1990 gsx and use 4g63 and front suspension, and also use engine also, only problem is the engine is transverse which i guess i will get over.

mate the front to back by custom drive shaft ( easy part since its already rwd) only problem i see here is the ratio of front trans and rear diff.

hopefully i'll find a a place and start the project, cuz i already found the roller.

You can have at the AWD conversion I don't want any part of more projects! the gullwing will be done this summer along with complete new suspension,paint interior custom dash/ insturments and upgraded motor form the previous 350whp its was just a lot to do at one time. adding AWD conversion would have made me insane.

PS I don't recomend this as a project for 99.9% of the general public this car is a very weak unibody and it required a ton of chasis modifacation to keep the car stiff and not twisted. If you try it keep us posted but remeber I told you so :thumbsup: and make sure you have a full shop and lots of tools!

• 2 months later...

transverse mounted?!?!? atleast use 3kgt vr4 parts and do a 3.0v6 awd.:)

2. the only reason i never started is cuz i moved and i have no room or time to start the project, so its on hold now.

My plan:

Get a 1990 gsx and use the 4g63 and front suspension, only problem is the engine is transverse which i guess i will get over.

hopefully i'll find a place and start the project, cuz i already found the roller.

How much more difficult, if at all, is it to get in and out with the lower section of the door permanately in place now? I was just thinking that it looks like it'd be a bit tougher than just swinging your legs out.

Its about like any older corvette (80's-90s') where the sill is about thigh level and you have to slide in over the sill. I am 6'4" and I dont think it will be an issue but it is a little more difficult than factory.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

any progress?

LOL well yes and no, i did finish my restoration of my yellow 89... but i have done nothing to the gullwing car in over a year. but i have decided to get back to it soon since the other car is done. Its going to be an engine swap car so its going to be awhile before it done but i am finally anxious to get started.

stayed tuned

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I still haven’t done a lot with the Gullwing car, I have worked on the sills a little. I am still trying to decide how I want the door lock and latch set up. If I go with electric pulls and just a key lock I am worried about the potential for dead battery and possibly never being allowed on a drag strip.

I have stripped all of the suspension parts and have them ready for paint as well as the poly bushings, this is the second set of poly bushings(I did the yellow car to) and what a pia! I also have some black semi gloss 2 part epoxy for the suspension and under carriage this time. I need a new set of front struts and either a coil over set up or the new D2’s, I would like to go with the D2’s as I have coil over’s on the other car and it is harsh.

The big hold up right now is time and I have to quit working on my Yellow car if I’m ever going to finish this one. Jonboy and Kyle both told me 3 years ago if I bought the yellow car it would be the death of this project so I have to prove them wrong :D

In regards to the frame reinforcement I think I have plenty, I’m not sure I will even add a roll cage unless I see some flex when I’m finished.

Still haven’t decided on an motor and tranny combo yet?? LS2 or Aurora V8 or 1 1/2 JZ are the most likely all of which would be turbo.

Hopefully 2011 will be a better year for this project.

• 5 months later...

I made some progress this weekend on the car. I have a complete set of D2 coil overs welded painted and ready to install. The suspension is all been epoxy painted with a semi gloss black and red poly bushings. Pictures of that with the installed D2's maybe this week. I installed the new/old motor which is a used 3800 series II SC long block. I bought a intake from a aus holden which will work good with the turbo, it has nice runner length and and each runner has built in velocity stacks. I have a short block ready with forged diamond coated pistons all arp hardware and balnaced and ready to build but im going to get the car running on the motor in the pictures first because i will have lots of tuning to do. I have a T5 transmission that is going in at least for now though I dont think it will hold up long. Most of the guys running turbos on these motors are making stupid amounts of torque in the 500 plus area and a standard T5 wont put up with that long, i will eventually put a Gforce T5 or Astro T5 in good for 500-600ftlbs.

As soon as i get a new welder i will get back to finishing the doors.

I still need to pick wheels and tires and decide on single or twin turbos??

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg1/pagemo/2011-06-11_17-55-10_99.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg1/pagemo/2011-06-12_18-25-20_430.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg1/pagemo/2011-06-09_17-23-34_618.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg1/pagemo/2011-06-12_18-25-47_946.jpg

Let the twins out to play!!

-Robert

I really want twins just for the visual pop, and theoretically two 16Gs would be a good match and should support 500 crank Hp but im not sure. The hot ticket is a single T67 with most of the buick guys. I wonder if the ebay evo 16's are any good the price is right but i dont want to buy junk.

Edited by pagemo