6g72 transplanted

Turbo_Addict

Ok so this might be a random post but I figured I would chime in as I am probably going to be picking up a Starion again here in the next week. I just sold my 96 Stealth and I still have my DD fwd 3000GT TT conversion.

Anyways, now to the relevance of my post. I was planning the very same thing with my Starion. I have 3 complete engines already, one of them being a built 4 bolt with forged internals and PnP heads. I wasn't planning to run turbos anywhere near as large as yours lol, but I do have a similar intake manifold design going on my car.

I am very impressed with your setup man. Cant wait to see the development. My questions are si liar to what has been asked, I just missed any answers thus far. What transmission are you running? Is it the Starion tranny w/ adapter plate? Very interested in that portion.

Mine will be a little more modest with the turbo sizes, planning on some 16t's or something of that sizing. Anyways, long post over. Very nice setup man. In for more pics!

I was going to go with a TH-350 trans with an adapter plate, but now I am leaning towards ford C-4 with adapter plate. It's a smaller bell, and has an option for a reverse starter setup, so for clearance and space reasons alone, it may be the better option. Bill Hincher is working out the c4 details now, and hopefully will have something real soon.

What engine did this originally come in? The 3000gt? And it looks crazy man can't wait to see a start up vid

Yup 92' 3000gt turbo..

Been on the road with work the past few weeks, but hoping to get some more progress in the near future. Want to finish mounting everything up, get the IC and radiator in, and then start running wiring harnesses and all that fun stuff. A long ways to go, but nice to see a little progress from time to time at least.

Do you have any spare turbo heads or know where I could get a set?

Yeah I am sure we have a few sets of heads around here. Both DOHC NA and TT. They are pretty similar overall. The TT has slightly larger ports, but they are same outside of that...and the NA cams are a little better. Anyways, yeah I am sure between myself and the other people of our forums there are several sets of heads out there. What kind of condition are you looking for? Anything specific? Where are you located?

I was going to go with a TH-350 trans with an adapter plate, but now I am leaning towards ford C-4 with adapter plate. It's a smaller bell, and has an option for a reverse starter setup, so for clearance and space reasons alone, it may be the better option. Bill Hincher is working out the c4 details now, and hopefully will have something real soon.

Ok so I have to ask, but why not just run the Starion transmission? Is there a reputation for failure at the HP numbers you are trying to reach? Would just seem simpler to adapt to that and go.

One other thing that was of concern from your pics. Seems small and you may have thought about it and figured it to be fine, but the oil return lines for the turbos are with those steel braided lines. It appears the line hangs lower than the return port. I would just be concerned about stalling of the oil flow. Is that something you have thought of and are OK with?

Just a thought. Looks awesome man!

Michael

Ok so I have to ask, but why not just run the Starion transmission? Is there a reputation for failure at the HP numbers you are trying to reach? Would just seem simpler to adapt to that and go.

Michael

It don't fit

It don't fit

Can you please elaborate? I am not questioning the validity as much as just curious as to why it wouldnt fit.

I dont doubt it grenading with that much power, but my goals are much more modest. Trying to determine what route I am going to have to go when/if I undertake this same project.

I am also only looking at the 350-400WHP range...

I went out and got a 6G72 engine and cut it up to see what it looked like inside and out

http://www.billsautofab.com/images/6G72GMadapter1.jpg http://www.billsautofab.com/images/6G72GMadapter2.jpg

The GM auto trans plate overlaps the 6G72 v-6 bolt pattern very nicely. because I can cast my adapters, I am not dictated to by a standard adapter plate thickness size, I can adjust to any thickness I need

http://www.billsautofab.com/images/6G72GMadapter3.jpg http://www.billsautofab.com/images/6G72GMadapter9.jpg

http://www.billsautofab.com/images/6G72GMadapter11.jpg http://www.billsautofab.com/images/6G72GMadapter12.jpg

the bolt pattern is nothing near the 4 bolt 4cyl G54b was, its all completely different

there are two major problems in the packaging, first there was never a flex plate built for the 6G72, it was welded to the converter, but more importantly, the Starion steering linkage is a rear steer system, it had always come with a 4cyl engine with a high mount starter, so there is no room in a low area to mount a starter

I need to build a system that is simple and cost effective, and put you in a position to build it so you can spend as much money as you want or as little as you want

Well it's got Tial WG's and Garrett .63 mm turbos - I'll run with those and see how they perform. I'm hoping to see around 750rwhp on high boost and race gas. We'll see - I know that's setting the bar pretty high though.

lol. what is a garrett .63 mm turbo? less than a millimeter inlet, eh? I think you mean .63 a/r, and that only describes the size of the turbine housing. How big are the turbos? Also, a famous movie quote for your power wishes. You can wish in one hand, and crap in the other and see which gets filled first. lol

http://6g72rwd.forumcircle.com/index.php

they fit...and a freshly rebuilt Starion trans will handle whatever you throw at it, the non-rebuilt ones that people hook up to a S16G fail every time...

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo278/mistapickles/gfjuz1.jpg

I want to do a sidestep on a 5500rpm 2-step at 30 psi with slicks. Will it handle that?

lol. what is a garrett .63 mm turbo? less than a millimeter inlet, eh? I think you mean .63 a/r, and that only describes the size of the turbine housing. How big are the turbos? Also, a famous movie quote for your power wishes. You can wish in one hand, and crap in the other and see which gets filled first. lol

I want to do a sidestep on a 5500rpm 2-step at 30 psi with slicks. Will it handle that?

show me the starter in Charles system? and why not a T 56?

http://6g72rwd.forumcircle.com/index.php

they fit...and a freshly rebuilt Starion trans will handle whatever you throw at it, the non-rebuilt ones that people hook up to a S16G fail every time...

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo278/mistapickles/gfjuz1.jpg

Have seen freshly rebuilt stockers with cryod gears explode. What, you think Chris Plebani wasnt trying to make it work?

btw, your sig is disturbing...........love it!

you can make any transmission fail, but for what most people are doing a rebuilt stock trans is fine

Have seen freshly rebuilt stockers with cryod gears explode. What, you think Chris Plebani wasnt trying to make it work?

btw, your sig is disturbing...........love it!

My sig is for everybody...the one on the left is a friend of mine, she's for all the fellas...the one on the right is for the guy who complained about a comment I made on "my" profile, I figured since he acted like a gossipy woman but still has man plumbing he'd prefer a man that looked like a woman dancing

Edited by mistapickles

Wow, drop a . in by accident and get railed... now I remember why I stopped visiting this site. From what I was told, these are 61 or 63 mm turbos, I just re-measured and they are 61mm, and they have a 50 a/r. And also from what I was told is that this motor made close to 800hp on the dyno when it was built - but what do I know right?

If anyone wants to see progress, go to 26liter.us - no more posts in this place

Edited by Turbo_Addict

oh get a grip...its a comment from somebody that is probably 1000s of miles away, that you will probably never meet, over a mistake you made....its not the end of the world

political correctness is leading to the end of America...everybody's skin is too thin...

apperently Charles has already done it...leave him a comment, he'll help you. He did say that a mildly built 6G puts the stock Starion trans at it's limit

is the starter on the drivers side? I asked, no reply

is the starter on the drivers side? I asked, no reply

I responded, but I guess you didn't like the answer. I said "apperently Charles has already done it...leave him a comment, he'll help you." You know who he is, you know his name, ask him. I obviously don't know how he did it, so my answer wouldn't help you.

oh get a grip...its a comment from somebody that is probably 1000s of miles away, that you will probably never meet, over a mistake you made....its not the end of the world

political correctness is leading to the end of America...everybody's skin is too thin...

Ok, OP, I'm sorry for being so harsh. I believe thick skin on the internet is good to have, but if people like me were nicer, it wouldn't be necessary. Please don't stop posting here because of me haha.

I have a friend who had a >700 awhp stealth and it had issues with lifting heads. It's a lot of power, that's all.

Edited by Technology