everything D2 coilover

Kane, I definitely agree with that, but one of the main points of the article is "matching" struts together based on their performance characteristics. One example given in the article I linked above is that he would get a bulk order of Koni struts and dyno each one and start matching them together in sets. The adjustable valves just helped him to better match them together.

So essentially, I would be looking for each strut to behave closely to the other 3 because you don't want different shock and rebound rates on each corner of the car.

Guaranteed 99% of the people buying D2s for Starions aren't going to notice a difference if the four struts weren't matched. I'd wager to say that 50% of the people buying D2s for their Starions aren't even going to get a professional alignment.

The argument is null and void. ^_^

I drove 125miles home after getting these installed over the weekend(Thanks Lee and Dave!) and they are awesome! Even on just the base settings and no tinkering with the dampening. I no longer fear going over rough pavement like I did with the MK1/Cosmo set up. Corners firm and flat, Id imagine even flatter if I get a stiffer spring rate. Ride is stiff but not unbearable for a daily driver. Worth every penny. I let Dave test drive the car and I hope he gives his impression. I took Lee(Nomad) on the maiden run and hopefully he chimes in as well. Anyone who is on the fence about these I suggest you get a set. They are light years over the MK1/Cosmo set up I had and it appears they can go much lower as well.

Hell I cant even find them on ebay. Im struggling hook a brother up with a link or some help will ya's?

http://www.google.com/products?q=starion+d2+coilover+kits&rls=com.microsoft:*&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=XHOhTN_gForEsAPP5eWsAQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CDwQrQQwAg

I have not personally bought anything from any of these websites.

you could also call any d2 vendor and ask them for the specific part number....

Guaranteed 99% of the people buying D2s for Starions aren't going to notice a difference if the four struts weren't matched. I'd wager to say that 50% of the people buying D2s for their Starions aren't even going to get a professional alignment.

The argument is null and void. ^_^

Its not an argument, its a contribution. How many people track their SQ's? I'd wager quite a few. Hopefully THOSE people will read up and get smart before they blow a G or more on a set of struts that everyone else loves just because they can drop the car. Nobody really knows the actual performance of the set.

Its not an argument, its a contribution. How many people track their SQ's? I'd wager quite a few. Hopefully THOSE people will read up and get smart before they blow a G or more on a set of struts that everyone else loves just because they can drop the car. Nobody really knows the actual performance of the set.

Wow if you think that 1k for a set of full bodied adjustable coilovers is expensive I suggest you buy a Kia with a 10 year warranty. As far as the D2s, they are the best suspension option out there right now by far.

• Like 1

I think a thousand dollars is a substantial amount of money to spend on a car - period. Would I spend the money? Yes, if it were the best option - for me.

I'm sure that you and I may have different goals in mind. May I ask what makes these struts the best option for you?

For me, my goal is to have a great riding, MODERN, performance suspension. I want to drift a little, drag a little, and have a decent ride. Modifying the stock struts and adding inserts (especially custom-valved inserts) may be it for me. I don't know, which is why I'm asking for some info on the performance of this brand ;)

In 2003, when I built my Eclipse GSX, the big "suspension" to have was Eibach pro springs and KYB AGX's. In my mind, I wanted the car to handle like it was on rails. I knew little about suspensions other than "this is the best option for you". Fast forward to 2010 and I have a car that handles on rails, but rides like s***. I no longer like to drive it that much, not to mention the girl won't ride in the car because it hurts her boobs. The struts are about blown by now and I'm looking for something a little softer but still offers performance and can handle 11 second passes in full trim.

Again, I'm not arguing. I just want to see what information I can gather on this set so I can decide whether or not they will suit my needs!

No thanks to the KIA. I'll stick to having no debt except the house and rock out the DSM :D

I think a thousand dollars is a substantial amount of money to spend on a car - period. Would I spend the money? Yes, if it were the best option - for me.

I'm sure that you and I may have different goals in mind. May I ask what makes these struts the best option for you?

For me, my goal is to have a great riding, MODERN, performance suspension. I want to drift a little, drag a little, and have a decent ride. Modifying the stock struts and adding inserts (especially custom-valved inserts) may be it for me. I don't know, which is why I'm asking for some info on the performance of this brand ;)

In 2003, when I built my Eclipse GSX, the big "suspension" to have was Eibach pro springs and KYB AGX's. In my mind, I wanted the car to handle like it was on rails. I knew little about suspensions other than "this is the best option for you". Fast forward to 2010 and I have a car that handles on rails, but rides like s***. I no longer like to drive it that much, not to mention the girl won't ride in the car because it hurts her boobs. The struts are about blown by now and I'm looking for something a little softer but still offers performance and can handle 11 second passes in full trim.

Again, I'm not arguing. I just want to see what information I can gather on this set so I can decide whether or not they will suit my needs!

No thanks to the KIA. I'll stick to having no debt except the house and rock out the DSM :D

Look around dude.. what other options are there for these cars?? As far as full coilovers(no sleeve over kits) then these are it right now. It appears that Mookeeh no longer makes his. We were EXTREMELY lucky that D2 even made these and at this price. Most high end coilover kits that are for performance cars start at around 2k did you know that? You should call all the companies on that list(which are mostly Euro brands Ive noticed) and ask them for a quote on a custom set of coilovers for your Starion and come back and post the prices.

I agree, there aren't many options unless you cobble up some sort of setup meant for a different car. Will these outperform a well-built sleeve-over kit? I'm not sure, I'd like to see some dyno results. In my case, cutting the old struts up and making my own is an option. I have access to those resources. For the D2 kit, I am impressed with what I've read so far and hell I may even end up with a set. I certainly don't frown upon anyone who buys them, but for me it may be better to build a kit using inserts. You can custom valve Koni's to suit your application (though non-adjustable) and use the sleeve-overs. Possibly a good solution - who knows without asking the hard questions and getting facts?

Again, I'm not here to argue or tell you your wrong, just asking questions and trying to get information from those who have the experience or the ability to tell me what I'd like to know. Plus I'm new to the board and don't want to make a bad name for myself. Let's all play nice :)

Guys, you really cant compare D2 to high-end coil-overs, they are made in Korea if not mistaken, but we got to be extremely thankful that they even researched it and made them. I had a very nicely build Protege and the only thing we could get was a TEIN set up with our own soft-tops, which I didnt like and to also cut stock and use a set of KYB with Ground Control sleeves...that didnt have anything on the set of K-Sports that started to show up for our cars. They are the same makers of D2. So this is great, as soon as I can I will get a set of this.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t233/piranatx/MSP%20photoshoot/th_msp_modified_01.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t233/piranatx/MSP%20photoshoot/th_msp_5954.jpg

thank god one person on this forum is using their head....

Wow if you think that 1k for a set of full bodied adjustable coilovers is expensive I suggest you buy a Kia with a 10 year warranty. As far as the D2s, they are the best suspension option out there right now by far.

I wouldn't buy a f 150 because my 30 grand or so could be used to buy an evo, which in my opinion is a better use of my money. I wouldn't buy the d2 coilover kit if I could buy a 2000 dollar suspension that was 10 times as good because it would be a better use of my money. Its not that he doesn't want to spend 1000 dollars, its that he doesn't want to THROW AWAY 1000 dollars. And as far as the D2's "being the best suspension option out there right now", thats kinda something they inherit from being the ONLY suspension option out there, kinda like them being the worst suspension option out there right now.

Obviously they will perform better than 20+ year old blown suspension, which is what most people are running. The question is, (just like with all those mookeeh products people have been buying up like crazy) is this a good use of my money.

to possibly simplify this, would you rather buy a subway sandwich for 5 dollars, or a turd sandwich for 1 dollar. Common, its a foot long sandwich for 1 dollar, great deal huh? Crap is crap no matter how much it costs, period.

Edited by TsTKl

In all honesty, I look at it from the standpoint that I'm buying the mounts. If they turn out to be duds I'll go out and find a full-threaded shock from another manufacturer and throw it in. If they work... less work for me! ;)

how can you call something crap if you dont have them.

Exactly.. the only people who are qualified to make that statement are the ones who have bought and used them and even then its all just subjective. And just because you can spend 2k on coilovers doesnt guarantee them not to be crap.

To all those having doubts and what not ride in one of these cars and let me know what you think. Now I respect your opinions on this, but I can guarantee you that any car with D2s or Mookeeh coils is going to ride like a dream while being lower then most compared to the Cosmos sleeve over style coil or your lowering springs or better yet 20+ year old blown suspension. Either way thats a win win in my book if I can be lower and have a better ride.

Not to mention 16 or 32 way adjustable stiffening and dampening.

how can you call something crap if you dont have them.

read my first post in this thread. I'm asking if they are good or not. All the replys I got were along the lines of "omfg 32 way adjustable ftw xricex omfg jdm tyte yo", and not "I took this out to the track, compared to my last set up I found that corner entry was more stable and I was able to carry more speed through xyz corner than with abc set up I had previously, etc"

I'm simply playing devils advocate, which anyone spending 1000 dollars on one thing should probably do.

In all honesty, I look at it from the standpoint that I'm buying the mounts. If they turn out to be duds I'll go out and find a full-threaded shock from another manufacturer and throw it in. If they work... less work for me! ;)

I was thinking about that too, but then I just asked my machinest how much he would charge for a pair of sleeves so I could do the same thing and I'd rather pay him 150 than some company out of korea or whatever 1000.... Top hats with some other company's camber plate guts for some random car are cheap to make too.

To all those having doubts and what not ride in one of these cars and let me know what you think. Now I respect your opinions on this, but I can guarantee you that any car with D2s or Mookeeh coils is going to ride like a dream while being lower then most compared to the Cosmos sleeve over style coil or your lowering springs or better yet 20+ year old blown suspension. Either way thats a win win in my book if I can be lower and have a better ride.

Not to mention 16 or 32 way adjustable stiffening and dampening.

like I said, I'm sure its better than what people have been doing on a large scale, simply due to a lack of aftermarket or oem support. All I'm saying is the stuff I recieved from mookeeh had some serious quality and design issues that should have been caught before they shipped those products out. In their defense, it would appear those flaws on the specific items I have have been fixed, however from the beginning people in this community have been swearing by them simply due to the fact that they aren't exposed to the quality treatment others from other car cultures recieve. I personally refuse to put anything on my car that isn't up to par, which is why said mookeeh products can be found in a landfill.

The question isn't if they are better than the other options, the question is if they are high quality. Chances are I will be having coilovers custom made with whatever shocks I want, so to me its not a question of price but that of quality only. If it will save me some time, more power to it, but its not going on my car unless it can handle the expected workload. I personally am questioning if it can.

MODS can we get this thread cleaned up

This is the suspenion and brake MODS, not questions. just like in the engine mods forum no question. take them to pm's or the BS section. If you DO NOT have D2 coilovers on your car dont post, period.

as to yet another 101 hater, this is ALL bout D2 coilovers not 101.

And so some member can find the info they are looking for, mention how you intend on using your setup. Like just to go low. On the drag strip. And scca/road corse

this pic, the red is were MINE are welded. When i had them welded, the welder felt that PLUG WELDS along with the weld around the base would be best. this is an option for you when you go to weld or have yours welded

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww135/starquestJOE/strut.jpg

It seems to me that the people who have already BOUGHT the set are taking our questions as stabs at their motives, intelligence, etc. I don't know. I just want to find out what the D2's will actually do. Sure, ask the mods to clean up the thread because "This is the suspenion and brake MODS, not questions" but without questioning and testing the quality and performance, how will we ever know what we're buying in comparison to other "possible" options? Not only that, we may be able to communicate our needs to the company that makes them and possibly get a better product. Just like the 101_propose guy who has made revisions to better suit the needs of his customers.

I'll stay out of the thread from here, but I'd really like to hear about the behavior of the struts, any measurable data (dyno :) ), and your experience. Have a thick skin, people are going to ask the tough questions. The way I feel, if I don't know what I'm buying and I buy it anyway - I'm an idiot. I refuse to blow $1000 for a set of coil-overs that don't perform when I can hack up the stock set and put custom inserts in.

TSKTKI - I'll hit you up on the 0G forums, you still owe me an answer on how well that T-56 fit :)