3800 V6 L67 Turbo

pagemo

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way your son is getting this Scott..! Looks good.

Yeah no chance of that!! Its coming along but there is still so much work to do.

I have decided against megasquirt and im going with a factory GM pcm they tell me it will tune with HP tuners and offer a much better daily drivability.

Trying to track down a cheap wiring harness now as well as gauges from a 05GTP to try and modify to fit our dash housing.

Glad to see your swap is keeping you on the road...maybe one day I will have a finished project.!!!

Yeah no chance of that!! Its coming along but there is still so much work to do.

I have decided against megasquirt and im going with a factory GM pcm they tell me it will tune with HP tuners and offer a much better daily drivability.

Trying to track down a cheap wiring harness now as well as gauges from a 05GTP to try and modify to fit our dash housing.

Glad to see your swap is keeping you on the road...maybe one day I will have a finished project.!!!

You had a finished project and sold it!!!

I know man...You're a sucker for some fabrication. I still need some motor mounts that don't look like Fat Joe is leaning back sittin in my engine bay...haha. End of January I'm going to tear mine down and start re doing some things. I may not paint the body right away but it will be easier to go single, top feed injectors, change clutch with it out anyways...And I can paint the bay and clean up some things.

Have you had that trans in your tunnel yet? I would think you would have to cut the tunnel and re work it. It def looks wider than the r154 where the tail shaft section starts.

I know man...You're a sucker for some fabrication. I still need some motor mounts that don't look like Fat Joe is leaning back sittin in my engine bay...haha. End of January I'm going to tear mine down and start re doing some things. I may not paint the body right away but it will be easier to go single, top feed injectors, change clutch with it out anyways...And I can paint the bay and clean up some things.

Have you had that trans in your tunnel yet? I would think you would have to cut the tunnel and re work it. It def looks wider than the r154 where the tail shaft section starts.

that's cool let me know if you need a hand on the mounts. It would def be the time to clean up under the hood if your going to pull the turbos and swap out that much stuff.

I am fitting the trans today I have been struggling with the oil pan and cross member but I went ahead and cut the cross member so I should be able to put in the complete set up now.

The R154 is actually way fatter than the TKO. I may need some massaging but it wont be as bad as the 154. I was surprised when I set the two trans side by side.

Where in the world did you find an R154 for a side-by-side comparison ;) Seen this project step by step for the past 5 years......it'll be traditional "Scott Sick" but still slower than the other powerplant sitting in his shop :lol:

Where in the world did you find an R154 for a side-by-side comparison ;) Seen this project step by step for the past 5 years......it'll be traditional "Scott Sick" but still slower than the other powerplant sitting in his shop :lol:

:-) Im not sure where it came from i just happend to have a 154 laying around oh yeah and an aristo 2jZ....hmm you interested in them ;-)

Yeah im not sure about the slower maybe and i say maybe it will be slower in a striaght line but im thinking you will have no chance in the twisties!! I will have the motor so low and far back my CG and weight distubutuon should be perfect for the corners :-0

but hey i dont want to add fuel to the great 2jz debate haha

Im going to cut part of the trans tunnel out..this trying to hammer the reinforced area is BS! The TKO is taller than the R154 by about an inch or so it will just be easier and look better long run to cut my tunnel then beating the crap out of it. Damn more work!!

Well....just what I expected.....mine's bigger :lol: On a more serious note.....is it the additional height being problematic or is the R154 going to give the same headache???? Edited by jonboyb

Well....just what I expected.....mine's bigger :lol: On a more serious note.....is it the additional height being problematic or is the R154 going to give the same headache????

im not sure im going to fit yours tomorrow before I cut the tunnel. I think the 154 is rounder and it may fit better??

You guys....Mine is bigger...lets be honest...

Can't wait to see both of these in person. The r154 is massive and definately a handful without the proper trans jack.

The r154 just needs the "ribs" cut out of the tunnel and some light massaging....by light I mean a 5lb hammer and a strong right arm....and as long as scott is right handed I know he'll have enough strength for as much action as he gives himself.

Edited by BOHO

You guys....Mine is bigger...lets be honest...

Can't wait to see both of these in person. The r154 is massive and definately a handful without the proper trans jack.

The r154 just needs the "ribs" cut out of the tunnel and some light massaging....by light I mean a 5lb hammer and a strong right arm....and as long as scott is right handed I know he'll have enough strength for as much action as he gives himself.

ROTHFLMAO!! I was in a bad mood yesterday about the tunnel but boho you at least made me laugh about It :-).

The 154 is a fat heavy trans for sure.... so did you cut the reinforcement out on both sides? Or did you remove the it altogether? ?

Edited by pagemo

• 5 weeks later...

Finished the cross member to clear the front sump oil pan.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg1/pagemo/2012-01-28_13-57-02_484.jpg

I also made a second set of motor mounts to move the engine up about an inch to help with ground clearance.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg1/pagemo/2012-01-28_15-57-01_505.jpg

And I finished tacking the headers together, need to make collectors and add the flanges.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg1/pagemo/2012-01-28_15-57-18_133.jpg

This is the austrailian front sump, and the reason I needed to cut the cross member.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg1/pagemo/2011-12-30_15-13-30_773.jpg

This was prior to the new mounts to move the engine up about 1".

Edited by pagemo

Looks good man. You should build a skid plate when your done, even an inch higher is still kinda low.

I have thought about it...the new mounts should put the pan about flush with the cross member. How low does the pan on your ls hang compared to the cross member?

Edited by pagemo

• 1 month later...

I have just about finished the transmission tunnel. I made it from 16ga steel snd instead of rolling it i just made it by breaking a flat pc of steel. It went in pretty easy i need to fill two small gaps at the transition to the floor but other than that its about ready for cleaning and seam sealer. Then its time to paint under the hood!

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg1/pagemo/2012-03-17_16-53-47_463.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg1/pagemo/2012-03-17_16-54-45_324.jpg

Edited by pagemo